Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis curve

chall

Hi everyone,

I have a problem using the 5 axis curve. I don’t really do much full 5 axis work as we don’t often need to use it. In this instant I’m milling round a section of a sphere, now I’m getting the results I want by the looks of it but as it gets half way down the geometry it goes back up the geometry slightly and then carries on back down. Where as I want one continues flow. Where am I going wrong??

I have loaded a file on the ftp in mx5 called MC-5X CURVE.MX5 the tool will gouge at the end slightly as it not the correct tool as it probably will be a custom tool, I’m just trying to get the motion correct first.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

I can't get to the file due to IT restrictions so not sure, but I have seen what you are describing where two surfaces meet and are possibly not exactly tangent therefore it has to stay normal to the end of the first surface, then back up to stay normal to the start of the second.

Could this be the case?

It's because of the way the toolpath projects onto the surface

Because you have it set to 'normal to surface', the toolpath calculation projects your wireframe against your surface.

Under Cut Pattern, there's a parameter at the bottom called "Projection" - Right now its set "Normal to Plane", and you have space between your wireframe and your surface. So if the wireframe projects normal to the plane you're on (top), the path itself might project in a way that overlaps itself. Think of it as string, and if you take the string and drop it on the surface.. how might the string fall on it.

Set that to "Normal to surface" and give it a distance of 1mm. It's basically a search distance for the calculation. Put it too small and the toolpath won't calculate, too big and it will calculate far longer