Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming for Lathe

Bill Henderson

I have always just used MCam for 3 axis VMCs. I was curious as to what reading material is out there to learn lathe and any 5 axis programming.

Reason I am asking... possible new avenue in my career. Ground floor in a start up company machines and software yet to be decided. Although they do have a Mori lathe but it seems to have power issues (electrical surges).

If anyone can point in a decent direction I would appreciate it.

I am a "seat of the pants" programmer, never having any Mastercam training. When I get stuck, I contact our re-seller, and they always recommend a Streaming Teacher subscription. I was always skeptical, but they gave me a two day trial when I upgraded to level 3 mill. I have to say I was impressed. I wish I could talk my boss into buying a subscription. You can just look through the index and watch a particular section, and it is very well done. In my mind, that would be a great way to learn lathe and 5 axis.

I am by defenition, a lathe guy. My opinion is that lathe really reqires ZERO training, if you have mill under your belt, you should be good to go.

Just play around with it, you'll get it pretty quick.

If you need anything just shout out her.....

I am by defenition, a lathe guy. My opinion is that lathe really reqires ZERO training, if you have mill under your belt, you should be good to go.

Just play around with it, you'll get it pretty quick.

If you need anything just shout out her.....

Good to hear...I have a SIM in my desk drawer for awhile and have never tried to get it going..... :whistle:

Good to hear...I have a SIM in my desk drawer for awhile and have never tried to get it going..... :whistle:

its easy, I think but we are all a little different.

The way I see it, if I can do it anybody can....LOL

I would always be glad to help if you need it.

Hey Bill:

I'm like you, programed on mill for years...We got a lathe (Yama Seikei GLS 150M). I struggled a little with the U W H for a while. I couldn't say goodby to g90 g91..

Right now I am struggling with canned cycles and c-axis canned cycles but I think its the fact that i've been using a HAAS control for so long i'm not well versed in fanuc.

I took an online class from mastercam university...http://www.mastercamu.com. It was very helpful for me to help get me into lathe mode of thinking and setting up master cam lathe.

Doing standard turning is straight forward...

Have Fun!

You can purchase the lathe book from the store here as well. It was completely re-written recently and has a lot of good tutorials and exercises in it.

If you have collisions check your lead in/out most of the time its related to that.

But like these guys are saying if you have Mill down lathe shouldn't be too hard for you to pick up.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've never had any Lathe Programming in Mastercam training. It is very easy to pick up. Usually I say for MC Mill, this place is not a substitute for training... but for lathe, we could do training in here. :D It's that easy.

Let us make sure that we're on the same page: if you have good MC Mill experience, getting something going with MC shouldn't be too hard; if you have only CNC milling experience, learning CNC lathe programming is going to take awhile because the speeds, feeds, DOC, orders of operations, adjacent tool clearances, etc, are not always intuitive.

The place cuts mostly Inconel mostly.

However it does not look like they want me. Guess when they said a lot of times on Friday afternoon they get a rush and have to work Saturdays and Sundays I told them.

"I don't work Saturdays and Sundays anymore. Have my family that's more important."

Missed my other boys growing up working 58-96 hours a week in this trade.

Oh well.

Can you say what the profile is for, or will you have to kill me

the grooves are seal teeth. for a shaft in a jet engine. We make these in an Integrex. There are a lot more interesting features to this part, but seeing you want to continue breathing (me too) I'm not gonna show you :lol: