Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Tips and Tricks

Colin Gilchrist

Sounds like the 'NC Filename' got switched somehow. Try clicking on the 'Select all operations' button (so they are all checked), then Right-Click on an operation > Edit selected operations > Change NC Filename.

That should set all the operations to have the same NC file name, and all post into a single program.

This drove me crazy for a little while too until i worked it out. Is there a simple way to change this for all future created ops to be under the same program name? As in I can edit NC name of all current toolpaths, but when i create a new toolpath it will not necasarily have the same name. Is this just bad file management on my part?

The NC File name options are located in Settings > Configuration > Toolpath Manager Tab.

The settings I use for NC File are usually the defaults. This should be "Prompt" check box "enabled", and "1st Operation only". When you start creating new toolpath operations, Mastercam will prompt you for a NC File name.

There are also a set of radio buttons below the prompt option, and mine is set to 'Last operation's NC file'. This setting should make all subsequent operations that are created match the NC filename of the first operation.

I have seen it where you open an existing file and start adding additional toolpaths, and the NC filename does not match the existing operations in the file (maybe Mastercam is picking up the NC Filename of the last file you were working on?). I've never logged this as a bug because I'm unable to reproduce it reliably. It seems to happen randomly.

Fortunately the fix is very simple, Select all operation, Edit selected operations, Change NC Filename.

For some users, it may be better to chose another radio button option for NC file name. I've setup some customers to "not prompt", and to use the MCX file name as the NC File name. This works well for some customers, but others want a NC file name that is different.

If you can find a way to reproduce the NC file name getting switched, then please send in an example to QC.

Thanks,

Colin

• 3 months later...

Lower/Right Axis Combo - Left Side T/C Plane C-Axis Milling.

Mori Seiki NZ 2000 T2Y2

X6 MU3

Seems as though the Reverse JIS does not apply for this(C-Axis on Lower/Right), but the Z axis sign needs to be reversed. (G2/G3 & G41/G42 stay normal)

I have my post set up to properly handle XY Milling on same combo and plane as stated above with proper signs (+/-) and to have G2/G3 & G41/G42 switching, but when I use C-Axis Mastercam automatically wants to pick my plane for me and posts incorrectly. Any tips or tricks for this? Once again this is all being done on a Lower Turret - Right Spindle using Left Face T/C Plane.

Confused as to why XY uses Reverse JIS but C-Axis does not.

Thanks in advance!

• 10 years later...

What am I doing wrong that’s stopping me from using 3D lathe tools to its full potential?

What’s the deal with 3D Lathe tools and 5-Axis vertical turning centers. It seems that most of the time 3D lathe tools have issues with flashing and rotating causing the toolpath to fail. The failure of the toolpath is indicated by a popup saying something like, “There were one or more errors…”. The popup’s scant message leaves the programmer with no explanation of why the toolpath failed or what orientation the tool was at when this happened, Bummer. Then it’s back to using 2D stick tools as those can be flashed, flipped, and rotated as much as one would like to.