Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How many time have you crashed today?

BenK

• 4 weeks later...

Rickster..your parts have draft. You would not believe how much extra resources it takes to process endpoint calculations on toolpaths the with draft. Even video works harder.

Patches per surface goes up exponentionaly, points per spline goes up, STL's are much larger ect...

Those who's parts have little or no draft will not run into your problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Insanity = Doing the SAME thing over and over and expecting a different result

You want to know the SINGLE biggest reason many of us who don't crash often don't.

We figure out what causes our crash, if we have them and we don't keep doing it.

If that means opening up tolerances, staying away from certain things in certain types of parts, that's what we do.

We work WITH the software instead of fighting with it

I'm CERTAIN that flames are coming but that's just my opinion

Great advise, I'll tell my boss that because I can't figure out

A work around, so emc says do not program this part!

Are you sure that is good advise!

Your right JP, I should not have assumed that

Opti core path, that I just deleted,would crash my system

After trying to reduce tolerances an change every default

Setting that has always worked for me.

After deleting it verify didnot crash.

After re-creating it using a .005 total tolerance instead of

.001" it worked once, then went t!ts up again.

So I will not use the opti core path any more and go back

And use the inefficient core roughing path my maintenance

Paid for.

I am the idiot, and will put a disclaimer in my posts from

now on so you won't have to point it out for me.... Lol

Not having a goo day here.

Sorry for the rant......

I think a good enhancement for Mastercam would be a dialog with check boxes to enable / disable the exhibition / availability of the toolpaths you want to see in the menus. Preferably if you could protect these settings with a password you could type once without a confirmation (This way you can type it with your eyes closed) :whistle:

This way people could avoid using functionality that doesn't work and can focus in not fight with the software... it's clear that Mastercam have problems with the humidity in the air... and the world is big eh? Lots of different climates...

People get used to not have certain things in life - I think the number of posts on this thread would be smaller if they turn off 10 out of 40 available toolpaths in that dialog... it would be good if they could get a proportional discount of 25% in their maintenance too...

JM2C

Insanity = Doing the SAME thing over and over and expecting a different result

You want to know the SINGLE biggest reason many of us who don't crash often don't.

We figure out what causes our crash, if we have them and we don't keep doing it.

If that means opening up tolerances, staying away from certain things in certain types of parts, that's what we do.

We work WITH the software instead of fighting with it

I'm CERTAIN that flames are coming but that's just my opinion

I do not understand why you guys use the software that way.

If you loosen up the tolerances on verify you will not know if a tool really violates the surface.

Instead of using a resource hog STL to verify, why not just use your part as stock.

I never use a STL created from a previous tool for stock, I use the part file.

I already have a damn good idea of what my toolpath is doing. If it don't gouge the finish part I could care less as long as it doesn't break tools, then a quick edit will fix that.

I do not understand why you guys use the software that way.

Simple, it's called getting the job the done

If it doesn't work they way I need it, I don't fight it, I do what I have to do to get the job done.

I don't need verify to show me the tightest of finishes, I have a good enough handle on my settings that as long as I am not crashing, I am confident in what I programmed.

Would I like everything to do what I want they way I want, HELL YES I WOULD, but it doesn't in some cases, so I don't tear my hair out and stomp my feet, I get the job done.

JM2C

Simple, it's called getting the job the done

If it doesn't work they way I need it, I don't fight it, I do what I have to do to get the job done.

I don't need verify to show me the tightest of finishes, I have a good enough handle on my settings that as long as I am not crashing, I am confident in what I programmed.

Would I like everything to do what I want they way I want, HELL YES I WOULD, but it doesn't in some cases, so I don't tear my hair out and stomp my feet, I get the job done.

JM2C

I am not sure if you get my point. You were a beta tester so I clicked reply on you but the question was meant for all.

You sound like you and I already think along the same lines anyways.

My point was that most of the problems I keep hearing about crashing comes directly with verify.

Most of them when using STL's as stock.

That is what I meant, why use STL as stock escapes me.

People complain about Mastercams verify being unsuitable. I find it to be very good.

Using your solid part or surfaces of the part run through the machin sim will point out every gouge and where it is in the code so you can fix it.

The legacy verify will show gouges on the part as well you just have to look for them but it is faster to run.

Now I can understand the need to compare your machined part against your model.

But heres my thoughts....

If it doesnt gouge I'm good. I will visually inspect the part to see if there is any problems.

If it looks good to me I give the part to QC and they tell me where the excess material is....that is what I pay them for...

I am not sure if you get my point. You were a beta tester so I clicked reply on you but the question was meant for all.

You sound like you and I already think along the same lines anyways.

My point was that most of the problems I keep hearing about crashing comes directly with verify.

Most of them when using STL's as stock.

That is what I meant, why use STL as stock escapes me.

People complain about Mastercams verify being unsuitable. I find it to be very good.

Using your solid part or surfaces of the part run through the machin sim will point out every gouge and where it is in the code so you can fix it.

The legacy verify will show gouges on the part as well you just have to look for them but it is faster to run.

Now I can understand the need to compare your machined part against your model.

But heres my thoughts....

If it doesnt gouge I'm good. I will visually inspect the part to see if there is any problems.

If it looks good to me I give the part to QC and they tell me where the excess material is....that is what I pay them for...

How are you supposed to verify 3d rest roughing if you dont use saved stl stock from the previous operation?

This thread is for reporting MC crashes,

Get a room you two!

Lol

Even gcode reported one today, go bust his chops ;)

Ok ok....I did crash yesterday.....right to the desktop. No warning.

There. ya happy :harhar:

Software has two functions. It works or it doesnt. :mellow:

I crash 5-6 times a day in Wildfire.....well sometimes only 2-3...but you get meh drift.

Secret is save save save....

If I had to crunch an intensive proggy that was going to take a long time, I sure wouldnt include the added stress of stl compare...just sayin...

I would get the nci crunched, save nci and file with inc. save, then do all the stuff ya do that might make the nci or file go poof :)

In this way, your 12 hrs of crunchtime would still be saved on multiple backups.

Of course it would get annoying if ya came back 3 times in a row from letting the proggy crunch overnight and found it crashed each time....

Cannon whats the worst that could happen?

If ya run it through the legacy using your model as stock, you can see all the areas it rest cuts.

OMG! yes you would actually have to watch the screen :wallbash::whistle: j/k.

If it doesnt gouge your part then what....either it did its job or, it missed some spots.

Those spots would show up on part right after you run the program, asuming it isnt a 1 on and you just run the rest of the tools.

crashed again....this one is going to require a hardboot.

I had been crunching cjeps toolpath over and over. Making subtil changes to tilt strategy and observing the results.

This time the legacy verify locked the whole thing down. But I had the tolerances set to .001 and only have 2 gig....

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

[rant]

Didn't crash, but :censored: lathe.... what a :censored: piece of :censored: :censored: :rant:

I don't care that some cubicle rat thinks my tool is going to crash into something it thinks is there. Just :censored: do what the :censored: I tell you to do!

I swear.... Mill will let me do whatever I want, why the :censored: won't lathe????

[/rant]

I almost feel better. :rant:

Guest SAIPEM

[rant]

Didn't crash, but :censored: lathe.... what a :censored: piece of :censored: :censored: :rant:

I don't care that some cubicle rat thinks my tool is going to crash into something it thinks is there. Just :censored: do what the :censored: I tell you to do!

I swear.... Mill will let me do whatever I want, why the :censored: won't lathe????

[/rant]

I almost feel better. :rant:

I feel your pain.

Serenity Now :robo: