Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to edit and save a post?

Hello,

I tried to add a few comment items to a post to come out with the G40 (items in parenthesis). The first comment I put in works fine, comes out everytime with the code. I tried to add a second but it won't save in the post. I am using MasterCAM X5 wire, "File" "Edit / Open External" to open the .pst file and save it. What am I doing wrong?

thanks, Tom

I have not tried to this at that line, but I can imagine that for the remaining ops you have to change a second postblock. Look for the block where you changed it already and do a search for the same variable. I have done this with the comments for each tool op right below the tool, it changes with every tool not just the first one. To get it to change I had to add comment$ to the psof, ptlchg, and ptlchg0 postblocks.

I always use an external editor outside of MC like ConText or simply note pad. Have never had a problem, save/post and changes are always there. ConText has some awesome highlight routines that you can adjust, and it's search features are very good.

Hello again,

I'm pretty sure my saving problem was caused by genius :wallbash: me somehow having saved the post in two different subdirectories. But I'm glad I did this and posted this question because otherwise I never would have learned about the ConText editor. Best regards to all - Tom

Mastercam includes a built-in text editor that is the best solution for editing a Mastercam Post. I like the Mastercam Editor because it includes a list of pre-defined variables, and color codes them when they are spelled correctly. Plus, the editor is already installed when you install Mastercam.

File > Edit/Open external. Choose the type of file you want to open, and it will open in the Mastercam Editor.

HTH,

***Do Not open your post in Microsoft Word*** :blink:

It will cause bad juju. B)

Speaking from experience? :)

Now I have to try the MCX editor to see what it does, but basically I am comfortable with post processor editing.

ConText is a pure text editor, no fancy formatting like MicroShaft products.

Can I use the MCX editor for PHP, SQL and HTML files? :)

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the Mastercam Editor for many different language types. You can also modify the syntax rules and color-coding for each type as well.

One thing I would highly recommend if you do use the Mastercam Editor: turn on the option to convert Tabs to spaces when typing. This helps keep everything lined up.

Another tip I just recently learned: when you are typing lines of code in the Mastercam Editor, you can press CTRL + Spacebar and the editor will open a scroll list with all the pre-defined variable names. Super handy...

• Like 1