Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drawing in X6

JAMMAN

Been trying to draw simple 2D geometry in X6 and I'm finding a lot of the "way" that I used to do it in 9 simply does not apply in X6. I can fly in 9 but are clunky at best in X6.

1. In 9 I could throw a gob of dimensions up, if I needed to add more and they overlapped or looked ugly what I would do afterward is create/drafting then I could click on the dims and drag them wherever I wanted within reason without having to do anything fancy.

How in X6? I delete the dimension and make darn sure it is in the right place before I do another because where it is is where it sits. Create/drafting forces you to select a sub menu. Is there a way to do this in X6?

2. I used to be able to elect to "edit text" which was handy for adding notes with dims or taking away trailing zeros so employees didn't spend too much time paying attention to stupid meaningless dimensions.

3. Create/line/horizontal. I know you can create a horizontal line, just doing that is easier now since it snaps horiz or vert. BUTTT I had a "method" if you will for making a series of horizontal lines from a side view, many some times and with horizontal you could use anything as the start point for placement then drag it across to the end point of a line at a different y level and autocursor to the end of it effectively ending it in the same place as the previously drawn line. Then on round parts I could create circle 2 points weaving up and down getting it done in seconds. Well the circle thing still works but I have to draw a vertical line and trim all my horizontal lines to it first with X6.

Or do I? Where is create/line/horizontal?

I saw the toolpath advantages the first day with X6, but I'm finding myself at least 4 or 5 times slower creating geometry and making stuff "look good" on prints with dims. Drawings, not geo for toolpaths. I hope I have once again overlooked something simple.

OK I see my first problem, that "ABC 123" bar doesn't appear on mine after clicking line icon or create line in the menu. I purposely left the menus stock until I could get through the learning curve, though I did add a couple 2d toolpath bars on the right top where nothing is. Or I thought I did.

Thanks for the reply, how do I get that obviously handy bar back?

#1 Create all your dimensions and use smart dimension or use F4 to change they location in a hurry.

#2 Press J for edit text yes it use to be T, but that got changed many version ago and I lost that fight, but they manager to put J in for changing text.

#3 Smart Dimension allows you to pick anything and make the dimension what you want by dragging it to where you what as the type of dimension. Takes a little to see the logic, but quick and handy, just different. H and V still work as well for the dimension once you are creating a dimension.

#4 Not mentioned, but Circle is still there and R for radius and D for diameter.

S it still there to bring up the Dimension settings.

After you have created dimensions, you can edit them in this way

Use the Analyze button

Then use either of these to edit what you want

OK That did work, it takes much longer (at least 4 clicks to one and can only do one at a time) but it works, thanks. Checking out all the suggestions.

the one labeled adjust text.png should be in your ribbon bar when you create, drafting, dimension...

the create line horizontal/vertical shown in horizontal.png is in create line endpoints

How about the X6 MU2 in your upper left? How did you do that? :)

Did MU2 slide by me?