Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SpaceClaim model repair + Mastercam HS rest rough

gcode

Hey Brian,

The webinar is actually tomorrow: http://p.spaceclaim.com/mastercamwebinar

That said, we almost always record them and make the recordings available. If for some reason our recording didn't come out, we usually re-record the content. Typically they are posted withing a day or so of the event. That said, it's more fun to attend live, because you can ask questions.

-Blake

(A SpaceClaim employee)

Thanks for the link

Now I need to go into the director of engineerings office, stamp my feet, hold my breath till I turn blue? and yell, " I Want, I Want!, I Want!!!" Damnit!...

Seriously, very cool and MAN! can I see how I could use it! The time I've wasted trying to clean up CAD's SW models, ones they've stitched/blended etc. to pull a form from a customers target location then I've got to create molds/vacuum fixtures from this nasty uneven mess. Usually the only thing I can run clean over these hodgepodge surfaces is "surface scallop" which works but isn't as clean as I'd like. With a cleaned up model prior to creating drive surfaces........happy days

Now....who is selling this.....

Cjep@Prism, you resell this?

I'd like some $$ estimates to take up front...They owe me a toy........I'm picking from THIS shelf!

• 8 years later...

I would like to assess the possibilities  of using photogrammetry to quickly scan complex castings, create a model, bring the scanned data into Mastercam, edit and alter the data, then produce a toolpath to resurface the model.  Can anybody point me in the least expensive direction to do this?  Super accuracy is not necessary.

How big of parts? What is your budget? I hear they have apps on the cell phone stitching stuff together.

A serious number for up to 1' Cubed Part is $10k with .02" accuracy.

Same with a PCMM with .0004" Accuracy would be $35k with the Mastercam3DGage with promotion they have now with the reverse add on. 

Getting bigger than 1' you start adding Zeros to those numbers really quick. Handyscan and others come to mind and impressed with the stitching technology developed in the last 5 years. I think some of them start at $5k with about the same accuracy I list first at .02" to .05". Search engines provide all kinds of options and I suggest you do some research.

My part envelope could be 30" x 24" x 15".  +-.025" accuracy is all I need.  My process is that I get a random casting from a customer.  It takes me weeks to measure and check by hand to get a model.  I generate a toolpath and step over the whole complex casting with a ball or bull mill basically resurfacing the whole thing.   I just watched a video where the guy took 50 pictures of a big rock with his cell phone. Then, using VisualSFM, CMMVS, and MeshForm, all freeware(I think), he had the rock mesh on his screen in a couple of hours.  Most of that time was computer processing time.  I'm dreaming of something like this to help me getting a model into MCX without an aerospace budget so I can generate a toolpath!  Can any of you MCX experts think of a similar process to speed up my work?

How often do you have to do this? Budgeting $500-$1000 per casting for an outside company to scan and produce a usable mesh is a good intermediate step. Otherwise, as Crazy Millman says, you're looking at a minimum of $30k to get the hardware to do the volume and and accuracy you're asking. I've gone the 3rd party route many times with blue light/laser scanning, and it's only getting cheaper/more prevalent.

3 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

How often do you have to do this? Budgeting $500-$1000 per casting for an outside company to scan and produce a usable mesh is a good intermediate step. Otherwise, as Crazy Millman says, you're looking at a minimum of $30k to get the hardware to do the volume and and accuracy you're asking. I've gone the 3rd party route many times with blue light/laser scanning, and it's only getting cheaper/more prevalent.

I'm doing it often and I'm always editing and changing the toolpath.  My process is somewhat proprietary so I wouldn't want stuff outside my shop.

1 hour ago, skyking01x said:

My part envelope could be 30" x 24" x 15".  +-.025" accuracy is all I need.  My process is that I get a random casting from a customer.  It takes me weeks to measure and check by hand to get a model.  I generate a toolpath and step over the whole complex casting with a ball or bull mill basically resurfacing the whole thing.   I just watched a video where the guy took 50 pictures of a big rock with his cell phone. Then, using VisualSFM, CMMVS, and MeshForm, all freeware(I think), he had the rock mesh on his screen in a couple of hours.  Most of that time was computer processing time.  I'm dreaming of something like this to help me getting a model into MCX without an aerospace budget so I can generate a toolpath!  Can any of you MCX experts think of a similar process to speed up my work?

You answered you own question. How much is weeks of your time worth? It is only worth $1k then your shop is only doing $30k a year worth of work not sure how you able to afford machines, tools and pay yourself only making that much, but since that is all your time is worth then the math say that is what you do.

Did I get your attention? If so read on if not then ignore.

I am going to take a very conservative shop rate of $50/hr to show you value in time. A shop rate of $50/hr for one person means the shop just working 40 hours a week will make $104k a year for one person and one machine. Lets say your shop has 10 employees that is now $1,040,000 a year the shop makes. Lets again be very conservative and just use 3 machines and forget employees. That gives us a $312k a year. Take 3 weeks 10 times a year do go about the process you currently have and that is 30 weeks of time doing your current process. Again I am being very conservative here that is a loss of $180k of shop time not being spent on making parts. That is not the reality of your losses since so many people only see the 3 weeks per part as lost time when in reality you have lost 6 weeks of time or $320k with your current methods. What is the crazy person talking about is what anyone reading this thinking. The real loss is from the 3 weeks you are not putting towards other work that could have been done had you the right process in place to do as you are thinking getting it done in hours. Currently the cheaper way is really the more expensive way, but keep thinking like you are and maybe someone will bring it down to the level were you see your time is worth a whole lot more than the expense of getting what you need to do it the correct way. 

Spend the money to do it the faster way and reap the rewards of getting the correct value for your time and effort.

Thanks for the math lesson but you still didn't answer my question.  First of all, I'm a one man band and my cnc's are all running while I'm writing programs, etc.  The question was, specifically now, what equipment and software would I need to do this?  Am I looking to find the most expensive route to get this done?  No!  I didn't say I don't have any wherewithal just not the scratch that Lockheed-Martin has.

7 minutes ago, Rstewart said:

So there is no original model that they use to make the casting from?  There is no print from which to make the model to?  This seems like we're missing something?

No data like that is available.   All we have is the castings, all different sizes and shapes!

Edited by skyking01x
If we had prints and dimensions we wouldn't need to scan the part would we?

I've used the photogrammetry systems, freeware and otherwise. They're not anywhere near precise enough to meet your stated needs and typically have a lot of 'dirty' data that requires extensive time post-'scan' to clean up. Have you looked at Verisurf and Master3Dgage hardware? Did you evaluate what your actual budget for any such system would be if you put the cost savings from reduction in reverse engineering time into such a system? What range are you looking in? That was the heart of Crazy Millman's comment.

We have a Master3DGage system in our Manufacturing lab and use it quite often for reverse engineering, both with hard probe and with laser scanner head attachment. The part geometry determines scanning method, and the hard probe is quite quick for prismatic parts. Even with laser scanning, you can go from million point mesh to healed surfaces to path against quite quickly, all within Mastercam.