Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SpaceClaim model repair + Mastercam HS rest rough

gcode

8 minutes ago, skyking01x said:

Ok, thanks for your input.  What does SpaceClaim do?  I've heard good reports about it on editing surfaces, etc.

It is a CAD software and they do a good job with STL data. Like Dylan suggested and I also mentioned that you seemed to miss was the Master3DGage it would so everything you need on thoee size parts and works inside of the Mastercam Software. Other than that sorry nothing I am aware of on the cheap side to do what you are after.

We use a Romer arm with a laser scanner and Verisurf software here to create surface models. We only need the surface models for clearance checks so we don't end up needing to create a water-tight model. We bring the surface data into Topsolid and work with it from there. We scan the front of engines and inside of engine bays for our design guys to use when creating new products. Not a cheap solution though. The Romer arm was a year old demo unit when we bought it plus the license of verisurf and PC needed to run it set us back $50k. Before we settled on the Romer arm we did some tests with one of these,  https://www.artec3d.com/. It would easily cover your .025" tolerance needs and was a lot more reasonably priced. The biggest issue is the software to handle the point cloud data. Good software makes it a lot easier to blends different point clouds and create a continuous surface. Good software is not cheap though. 

Edit; The main reason we went with the Romer arm was the ability to have the probe tip as well. We can take a laser scan and take probe measurements of planes, points, holes, etc in the same file. This makes it a lot easier to create our own models from physical samples when needed. 

54 minutes ago, YoDoug® said:

Edit; The main reason we went with the Romer arm was the ability to have the probe tip as well. We can take a laser scan and take probe measurements of planes, points, holes, etc in the same file. This makes it a lot easier to create our own models from physical samples when needed. 

Wise decision for that very reason why only scanners are not my go to for manufacturing applications. Want to know what you know then measure it and make geometric shapes to work from. Want something loosey goosey hope it is close enough then only scan it.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:16 AM, Rstewart said:

https://www.gom.com/metrology-systems/atos.html

You haven't used these then I guess.  They are pretty incredible, also an incredible price tag

GOM is great software and they do a great job, but no I haven't used it. He said cheap also why I didn't mention this company Colin talked before and pricey as well.  

Materalise Magics

• Like 1