Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SpaceClaim model repair + Mastercam HS rest rough

gcode

We do a big part here for a shipyard that's an HY80 casting about the size of a small car

In the past we've programmed it old school which meant there was a lot of air time.

Our customer provides us with a surface model which they build from photogrammetry data

but they are big (30 to 50 meg) IGES files. Mastercam, SolidWorks, Catia and NX5 all choke

on these models and I've never been able to do anything with them.

We recently bought a seat of SpaceClaim and I tried it on one of these IGES files.

I don't know what I'm doing with SpaceClaim but the model came in OK and I ran a couple of model repair

utilities on it. In about a 1/2 hour, I had a 7 meg X_B parasolid of the casting accurate to ±.12"

That made a nice STL file for a Mastercam rest rough toolpath

The first OP used to be 8 hours of cutting air.. now it's 2 hours of making chips

Cool stuff :thumbsup:

• Like 4

This is ± .12" ...that is my customer's stated accuraracy for the photogrammetry data..which is pretty good for a casting the size of a small car.

Photogrammetry can be much more accurate than that, but the higher the resolution, the bigger the files..

I have to say, SpaceClaim plowed through that 30meg IGES with no trouble.

Maybe next time I'll ask my customer to crank it up a notch

SolidWorks 2012 and 2013 beta just sit there and blink stupidly till I get bored and ATL CTL DEL them :rolleyes:

you guys might want to sit in on this.

New MasterCAM Productivity Add-On: Easy-Fast-Powerful 2D/3D Tool-Set webinar Upcoming webinar on August 16th!

Register here: New MasterCAM Productivity Add-On: Easy-Fast-Powerful 2D/3D Tool-Set

Before creating toolpaths in MasterCAM, it’s best to get the geometry right. SpaceClaim, now directly integrated with MasterCAM, is the best tool to open, correct, and update CAD parts prior to CNC programming. In this webinar, we’ll show you how SpaceClaim:

• Is a powerful geometry editor designed for machinists
  • Can open and edit models from any CAD system
  • Fixes dirty geometry that can cause errors in CAM
  • Makes fixtures and other tooling in a fraction of the time of CAD
  • Is affordable, easy to learn, and easy to use
  • Can reduce the time you lose in CAD by more than 50%

you guys might want to sit in on this.

New MasterCAM Productivity Add-On: Easy-Fast-Powerful 2D/3D Tool-Set webinar Upcoming webinar on August 16th!

Register here: New MasterCAM Productivity Add-On: Easy-Fast-Powerful 2D/3D Tool-Set

Before creating toolpaths in MasterCAM, it’s best to get the geometry right. SpaceClaim, now directly integrated with MasterCAM, is the best tool to open, correct, and update CAD parts prior to CNC programming. In this webinar, we’ll show you how SpaceClaim:

• Is a powerful geometry editor designed for machinists
  • Can open and edit models from any CAD system
  • Fixes dirty geometry that can cause errors in CAM
  • Makes fixtures and other tooling in a fraction of the time of CAD
  • Is affordable, easy to learn, and easy to use
  • Can reduce the time you lose in CAD by more than 50%

Do you know if the Webinar will be available for viewing at a different time/date?

I can't make it as scheduled

I have been using SpaceClaim for the last two week as a trial. I am blown away at it's capability for design and modeling. I have used Mastercam since version 8. I feel like I am just as proficient drawing with SpaceClaim as I am in Mastercam or more so. It is very intuitive and easy to navigate. You will be stunned at how fast you can start working with it on a level to your Mastercam abilities. My VAR got me a demo. We have a seat on the way!! It would be nice if Mastercam dropped its 2d drawing, solid and surface modeling and integrated SpaceClaim for those needs. The layout for drawings and sheet metal design is just so easy to use and user friendly. And NO I'm not a reseller for them, just a happy customer.

• Like 1

I havn't tried any modeling with it..

I've been using SolidWorks for 12 years and the direct modeling approach

seems like a step backwards to me.. Hopefully I'll get some time to work at it

and figure it out ..

It's worth the price of admission for it's file translation abilities alone and

it's ablity to repair jacked up models is very cool.

Another near feature is it's ability to file holes easily.

I frequently have to take a customer supplied model and try to fix it up to use as

a stock or verify model. Spaceclaim does this well.

Once you get it installed, make sure you install the Spaceclaim to Mastercam chook.

Very cool stuff :thumbsup:

edit .. this interface requires dData Exchange package 2 ( parasolid import/export)

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to reach out and introduce myself. I'm Blake, one of the SpaceClaim sales and marketing guys. One of the things I do around here is help put together the webinars, and I wanted to let you know that we always put recordings up afterwards if the recording technology cooperates.

That said, if you are interested, we'd be happy to do a demo for you, on a part and workflow of your choosing, whenever is convenient for you. We do put a lot of effort in making the webinars informative, but a custom demo might be a better use of your time. Just holler.

Anyhow, I'm feeling like this is becoming dangerously close to spam, so I'll stop. Thanks everybody for your interest.

-B

• Like 1

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to reach out and introduce myself. I'm Blake, one of the SpaceClaim sales and marketing guys. One of the things I do around here is help put together the webinars, and I wanted to let you know that we always put recordings up afterwards if the recording technology cooperates.

That said, if you are interested, we'd be happy to do a demo for you, on a part and workflow of your choosing, whenever is convenient for you. We do put a lot of effort in making the webinars informative, but a custom demo might be a better use of your time. Just holler.

Anyhow, I'm feeling like this is becoming dangerously close to spam, so I'll stop. Thanks everybody for your interest.

-B

Welcome to the forum, Blake. cheers.gif

Can SpaceClaim take an STL file and dimension it or convert it to something that will allow you to?

Jerry

Blake - I'm wondering the same thing as Jerry.

If I verify a part in Mastercam, and then save it as an STL, will Spaceclaim be able to do anything with that STL?

Yes.. SpaceClaim can convert an STL file to a solid, but I have not tested it on STL's created by Verify yet

I suspect it will work well on simple files , but not very well on complex milling programs.

SolidWorks has had this ability for years but totally chokes on Verify generated STL's

Can SpaceClaim take an STL file and dimension it or convert it to something that will allow you to?

SpaceClaim can read and dimension an STL. It can also add and subtract them, etc., if they are reasonably sized relative to your hardware.

A lot of folks use SpaceClaim do draw precise parts on top of STL. That said, if you need to turn a lot of geometry or fancy surfaces into precise geometry, you'll want something more like Geomagic.

-Blake

(A SpaceClaim employee)

you're correct... 5 or 6 years ago you could save STL's as IGES or step in SolidWorls

but it was so lame and weak I never used it after trying it once..

I just did a Save As (step) on a 30 meg stl.. it blinked and wrote a 2 K file LOL

My customer used a method called photgrammetry.

They stick thousands of little reflective targets all over the part,

then postion calibration sticks with 2 targets a known distance apart

and shoot thousands of digital photos from all angles.

This data goes into a software package that compares the shoot

to the solid model.

In past they just gave me color maps showing deviation from the nominal solid.

They also gave me stl's but at 400 to 500 meg they were useless.

For this part, they also supplied a iges and stp surface models of the shoot and Spaceclaim was able to repair

it well enough to make a solid model of the casting.

The stated accuracy is ± .125" which I think is pretty good for a cast the size of a small car.

I don't know what software they are using and are closed mouthed when I ask.