Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

My controller file disappers whats up?

RObert TImby

All,

At this point in time we know what's happening, so no need for any more "I've seen this too" posts.

Certainly a thanks to all who did! As Jim noted we were not able to reproduce it here for quite a awhile.

As for when/if any update for this will be available I cannot say, as that's not my call.

As ajmer (and others) pointed out - "Moved the CONTROL-6 file back to the local machine and now it works".

FYI...

"Local machine" being the specific drive that your (Windows "user") TEMP folder is located.

Usually this would be the C: drive.

You can determine where this "TEMP" is located by asking Windows.

Start a Windows CMD prompt (OK, it's really a DOS prompt. :geek: )

and type SET [enter]

Look for the entry that starts with TEMP

You also may see a TMP (If both exist they're usually the same path, unless your IT dept is doing some magic).

Like this ->

TEMP=C:\Users\MyUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Temp

If your CONTROL-6 files are located anywhere on this drive (in this case C:) you're OK.

*If you've not gleaned this conclusion from this info, the fact is that this is not a "network" issue.

• 1 month later...

Here is one a little different than it renaming to .tmp. I just had one on an XP box where every time I moved the md, control, and post file to a network drive and then tried pointing mastercam to them it would move the darn control file back to the shared mcamx6 folder on the C: drive. Then with this same company we did it with a W7-64 box and it worked fine. WTH?

Cannon,

I changed my temp environment variable to the network drive where my post and machine/control files are located and all works fine, no more control-6.tmp files (problem with mine was that the file size was changing too so I couldn't just rename them). A lot easier than running around to all the xp-32, xp-64, win7-32 and win7-64 machines everytime there's some kind of change to the system.

Cannon,

I changed my temp environment variable to the network drive where my post and machine/control files are located and all works fine, no more control-6.tmp files (problem with mine was that the file size was changing too so I couldn't just rename them). A lot easier than running around to all the xp-32, xp-64, win7-32 and win7-64 machines everytime there's some kind of change to the system.

Could you show us an example ? I have the same problem.

Could you show us an example ? I have the same problem.

We keep all our posts,CD's,MD's and tools in a network folder \\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\CNC\MCAMX6

I have the CNC folder mapped as R:, so I access them with R:\MCAMX6, added a sub-folder R:\Temp, and then pointed my Windows7 Temp environment variable to R:\Temp instead of my local harddisk. Now I can edit the control def without problems. Luckily I am the only one allowed to mess with the post/CD/MD. Unlike "imac5" I did not change my temp folder in mastercam to the network because I thought I might start running into problems with large regens and such. That may or may not be true as I have not tried it. I have not run into any other problems this way with MC or any other windows software so far.

• 3 weeks later...

So we've finally updated to X6 MU2 today, and this is of course the first issue I ran into. Since all of our files our shared on the network it is pretty necessary to get these working right so I've found a small, quicker I think, work around.

1. Make all the changes you want to your control file.

2. Click Save As (DO NOT HIT SAVE!!!)

3. When the prompt box appears letting you know data was changed click YES.

4. When the Save As window appears Rename the file to junk or trash or anything you desire, just not what the original name was.

5. Click check mark to go back to Machine Definition Manager window.

6. Notice that the control file is listed as your junk or trash file, click the folder and reselect the actual file you want to use.

7. Save and then exit.

Tada all done!

This has to be done every time you make a change to your control file, but it does save you from searching for your temp file, and you know exactly where and what control file you're using.

Hopefully this makes sense and I'm not so late to the updating party that there are still people that may find this helpful.

• 2 months later...

Cannon,

This method worked for me also. The control definition was on a mapped network drive called P: so I changed the TEMP and TMP environment variables on my Windows 7 pc from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp to a folder I created on the p: drive called p:\misc\ben\temp and now I can edit the control file. I did a google search to find out how to change the environment variable and for Windows 7 this site had good directions http://www.itechtalk...thread3595.html

UPDATE: Since I changed the environment variables Mastercam has crashed a few times and an attempt to update some other software failed. I don't know if that is what caused it but when I finish with the control definition edits I will change it back.

• 1 month later...