Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCam for SolidWorks

Newby here - first post. We purchased a Hardinge GX1000 with a Okuma OSP200M controller, and MasterCam for Solidworks. Went to training. Wrote some good programs in MasterCam for SW. Posted them to G codes. Speed and feeds are always wrong.

Seems that the feed is 10X faster than the spindle speed cutting tool than what MasterCam says. We have broken a few $50 bits, so no one is really happy. Seems we just can't get our speeds and feeds correct from MasterCam. So we purchased the CNC Cookbook calculator for $70.

The CNC Cookbook helps us with correct speeds and feeds, but is really addressing the symptoms, but not the root problem. Anyone else have this type of problem? I hear that our Hardinge/Okuma machine is a one of a kind hybrid at this point and this might be part of the problem. Any help if fully appreciated. - Phil

Good Day Phil,

When you say your feeds are 10X faster than what Mastercam says do you mean you input a spindle speed of lets say 800 and in the post it is outputting S8000? If that's the case the post may have a multiplier in it. I would recommend you contact your Reseller and have them take a look at your issue. It could be something very simple and there is no point in breaking $50 end-mills.

Newby here - first post. We purchased a Hardinge GX1000 with a Okuma OSP200M controller, and MasterCam for Solidworks. Went to training. Wrote some good programs in MasterCam for SW. Posted them to G codes. Speed and feeds are always wrong.

Seems that the feed is 10X faster than the spindle speed cutting tool than what MasterCam says. We have broken a few $50 bits, so no one is really happy. Seems we just can't get our speeds and feeds correct from MasterCam. So we purchased the CNC Cookbook calculator for $70.

The CNC Cookbook helps us with correct speeds and feeds, but is really addressing the symptoms, but not the root problem. Anyone else have this type of problem? I hear that our Hardinge/Okuma machine is a one of a kind hybrid at this point and this might be part of the problem. Any help if fully appreciated. - Phil

We have both MCFSW and a GX1000 OSP here and there are no weird feedrate issues. As suggested it could be a post issue. Also could it be a G94/G95 issue for feedrate?

Chris & YoDoug,

Chris - spindle is often (but not exclusively) fine , but the feed is moving too fast for the spindle speed. Hence we are ramming tools into vises and stuff. Don't want to sound like we are being over the top here, but that is what is happening.

YoDoug - good lead which we will look into.

We are doing the right things like meticulously going through the post, talking with MasterCam and the Hardinge folks. Just everyone a little concerned right now. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue with the combination? Seems that it is the first of its combination out. It is probably something we did/didn't do. So we have to pick through the blades of grass to find the shiny penny and make sure everything is running right. YoDoug points out that he hasn't had these problems, so this is probably it.

My post as such just to cover all avenues of possible info/solutions so I do appreciate your feedback. Needless-to-say, we will get through this. - Phil

Mech, do you mean the feeds and speeds that Mastercam is calculating from it's own tool library are way too fast?

Is your machine operating in metric, or inch mode? Are you programming in metric or inch mode?

Can you post a snippet of code that isn't working?

" Speed and feeds are always wrong."

Are they correct in the operation prior to posting? Do the feed rates not show up in back plot as inch or metric with MC4SW? Is anybody reading the G-gode prior the pressing cycle start? (When you are set-up correctly, you usually don't need to eyeball code.)

"So we purchased the CNC Cookbook calculator for $70."

Good tool but that won't change the way MC behaves. It sounds as if your settings are not correct. I don't have MC4SW but MC should be similar to how MC4SW handles it.

I use "From Tool" and "use tools step, peck, and coolant selected. I also have a library tweaked for tool steels. You can create your own libraries as well and set the default cutting conditions for each tool there, modify the existing library, or just EDIT the tool itself while you are programming, and those settings will be good every time you select that tool for a new operation within that program. If you want those setting to stick forever, edit the tool from within the library and save it there, prior to creating a new operation. Most programmers often multi task with an end mill, same tool, so It's very common to modify the settings in the actual tool path data fields as well. Roughing vs Finishing, Face vs Perimeter, Helix bore- ramping and so on.

In the operations manager, expand the Machine group, properties, tool settings and you will see how the variables for S&F can be set up. The default speeds and feeds for a given material in MC are starting points and not necessarily where you want to be, which is where the cookbook or tool manufactures data comes into play. Snapping emills frequently may also indicate that the step over/step downs are incorrect. These are defaults as well and should be tweaked accordingly.

To edit the libraries directly in MC select Toolpath, tool manager. Use the icons above the lower window to select an existing library or create a new library. Copy, paste and drag fro one library to another. Libraries for specific machines where the tools stay in the magazine with fixed tool numbers are common as well.

Others will have different approaches to this or may debate my choices but FLEXIBILITY is the key here.

HTH, MCM.