Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine feedback please!

I have been asked to research manufactures of VTLs. So far I have narrowed my search down (according to budget as well) to Doosan V550M and Hyundai Wia LV800RM. It seems like these machines are nearly identical in construction and capabilities. The Hyundai has the Fanuc 32Tia control. And the Doosan is the Oi-TD. Really about the only main difference I can find.

I'm looking for some feed back from both Doosan and Hyundai users. I want to know any problems, complaints, or anything you think I should know before considering the purchase. The good the bad and ugly.

All input is greatly appreciated.

I have never had experience with Okuma VTL's, but I have run several Okuma's, both mills and lathes, and the machines are rock solid, accurate and a pleasure to run. They are pricey, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

It has been a while since I needed service, but Gosiger here in Michigan has always done a great job for me... although, I suppose that result is determined by where you live and who your service rep is.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into the Okuma VTM100 now. I'm wondering how they will compair in price. Also how does the service side of it compair? Has anyone had any experience with the Hyundai, Doosan or Okuma service end of it?

I have been machining for over 15 years now. I have ran over 30 types of machines from Cincinatti, Haas, Mori-Seiki, Okuma, Karaki, Mazak, Century Turn, and a lot more. To this day I still tell people Okuma is one of the best machines in the business. I never had one slow down on the heaviest of cuts. They are very solid machines. I used to run parts with .0002" tolerances and never worried leaving .002" for a gage cut. Amazing machines. But pricey. The Century Turn VTL's I ran had Fanuc controls and were very nice as well. I used to rough .450" per side at .030"/rev in 718 Inconel. And the machines did fine.