Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

wcs with 5 axis tool paths

Bronson Jasso

You can use a custom WCS (World Coordinate System) as Chris stated, once you set the custom WCS use custom toolplanes to get your positioning around the part.

Some of the toolpaths respond strangely to the custom WCS, for example I've seen the flowline toolpath not work for the custom orientation but moving the part relative to Mcam's TOP WCS causes the toolpath works fine.

Running Top /Top /Top is the safest setup.

We use the advanced multi-axis toolpaths all of the time here with some pretty complicated full 5-axis paths in aircraft coordinates. Of course we have vericut too. There are tricks to making it work but it will work. I can't imagine not using the advanced multi-axis paths as they are really good. We don't use mastercam posts here.

Kevin C.

I'm with majority, no WCS on full 5-axis. I've made positioning programs with WSC and slightly modified post setting and some hand editing on simple parts. But why risk it on complex parts.

Basically, everything I told them they couldn't/shouldn't do, They now want to do. ;)

I know the feeling. :wallbash:

We use the advanced multi-axis toolpaths all of the time here with some pretty complicated full 5-axis paths in aircraft coordinates. Of course we have vericut too. There are tricks to making it work but it will work. I can't imagine not using the advanced multi-axis paths as they are really good. We don't use mastercam posts here.

Kevin C.

I did mean to imply that it would not work, but I know their post will need to be modified for it to work. It currently will output incorrect positions with wcs other than top, and I have seen it mess up 3 + 2 tool paths using toolplanes as well. I was not making blanket statements, just this particular companies post.

Kevin C.

Similar situation here.

We use WCS for all parts, including 5-axis. One of our customers does revisions so often that needing to move the part to the main origin and getting it perfectly aligned every time just to do a quick compare to see what pilot holes they shifted would be a bit of a headache. This customer also creates parts that have very few if any straight edges that one would use to align from.

getting it perfectly aligned every time just to do a quick compare

I tell people if they do have to move a customer file, always move a copy. For that reason, then you can do a file > change recognition no problem. The imported rev will line up with original. Then if the part had to be re-moved, with xform > dynamic it's usually a breeze. (and verisurf hole axis).

But if your wcs 5 axis works, your lucky and I guess it doesn't matter. But for everyone else, there's my two cents worth of tips.