Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

.igs to G code

^^^ Not to mention GD&T and the all important Fit-Form-Function.

We aren't being mean Bobberserker but this is a learned trade. It takes many years of practice and failure before you can tackle something like a lower receiver. The only thing that will do what you want is a rapid prototype machine

but the part will not be functional it will just look right. I've had friends over the years ask me to make parts for them. My first questions are usually, "Is it commercially made already?" if yes then "How much do they cost?" and my answer usually is "Spend the money and just buy it. It would take me more time to do the setup on this part then it would even be worth."
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bobberserker, I think you get the gist of what people are saying, so I won't add to that :D

However, if your cousin has a CNC, and, assumedly, uses it, he probably has some idea what goes into it. Maybe talk to him, and see if he has someone who could plan and create the tool paths and code that you need.

Anyone still use trackballs? Use to prefer those mostly, but after a couple bad ones (wireless) back to reg, I got guys working with me that moonlight at some startup shop, and supposedly they are the stars there. Truely amusing because one of them (operator at best) asks why they have issues with finish, etc. Hmmm well the guy programming has all of around a year or so at best programming, and that's tinkering on a laptop with questionable results. Mind you lathe only, he tried a couple mill programs but I had to fix quite a bit, and besides the mills are my dept. I try and offer advice but some people just don't take constructive criticism well... :turned:

• 1 year later...

Can but definitely it will not accurate unless you have to make some modification.

Current mastercam got a function called FBM ( Feature Based Machining).

It is a function that read your solid part and generate automatically to 2D toolpath.

But, anyhow you have to set up some parameters and tools.

Also, you can specified tools you want to use.

It is the easiest way to generate toolpath.

But normally, I will use for simple part only. :unworthy:

• 2 weeks later...