Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

what is the average salary of mastercam programmers in usa

robel

Six figures in Southern California, but you've got to bring some
serious
skills to the table. How serious? Serious enough to change the kind of revenue your company can generate in a seven digit kind of way. Serious enough to to know how to get the impossible done on time and under budget. Serious enough to sit across the tabe from a Collier Award winner and have the confidence in your skills propose out of the box ideas on their designs to cut manufacturing costs. Confident enough in your own skills that you can work with others in a Team Atmosphere and not worry about your job or your position.

Anything less than that and you can expect to top out around $30~$35/hr here.
  • Like 3

$30-35 is good money for a programmer. Seems like allot of people look at this as chump change these days.

Now to find a job that pays 6 figures for 40 to 50 hours a week are really hard.But they are there.

But also 6 figures in Cali is not what it used to be.

But I still say that $30-35 even here is still good pay these days.

• Like 2

Here in the Toronto area 30-35 an hour is great money for a programmer, but it really depends on the industry you are working in. If all your doing is milling out profiles and drilling holes in aluminum plate, then don't expect to make anything more than low 20's. If on the other hand you are doing multi-axis aerospace parts with thin walls and tight tolerances, then yes you can expect to get paid in the low to mid 30's. But you need to produce good stuff. Usually :)

Here in the Toronto area 30-35 an hour is great money for a programmer, but it really depends on the industry you are working in. If all your doing is milling out profiles and drilling holes in aluminum plate, then don't expect to make anything more than low 20's. If on the other hand you are doing multi-axis aerospace parts with thin walls and tight tolerances, then yes you can expect to get paid in the low to mid 30's. But you need to produce good stuff. Usually :)

Aeroguy, What is the cost of living in Toronto compared to smaller cities?

I see $20-$65 on the left coast. the wide gap sometimes depends on skills other times its who you know. I shop jobs more on the company's stability for long term not how much I can make per hour, my skillset must match as well. this is a vast trade. I know aerospace but would be worthless in cabinet shop or boat building.

Aeroguy, What is the cost of living in Toronto compared to smaller cities?

Well thats the kicker now isn't it. If you actually lived in Toronto, 30/hr probably isn't gonna get you much. But it depends on your situation I guess. I live just outside Toronto, and my wages barely cover my bills. But I pay for everything in my family, mortgage, food, utilites, 2 cars etc etc.

Houses around a 15-30 minute drive from Toronto will run you about 300k for a small townhouse and it just goes up from there. Gas prices are a killer too, so for example if you drive 30km one way (about 19 miles) and you drive a small SUV then expect to shell out at least $250 month in gas easy.

Now, if you don't mind the drive and the gas prices, then if you move just over an hour outside Toronto in any direction and house prices drop dramatically. That same 300k townhouse near Toronto is now about 200k or so. But your cars gas and maintenance bill will sky rocket, so its all relative really.

Also jobs outside of the GTA are not exactly easy to come by, and they don't pay near as much.

Clear as mud ??

Clear as mud ??
Exactly :unworthy:

Sounds Like Cali not cheap. gas for me at sames club is $3.61 gal and my customer wants me on site two days a week round trip 300 miles. this adds up quick. it does help I get paid going and coming and while there. but that is allot of gas.

compared to 2011 I was contracted with a large aerospace company 5mile door to door now that is nice .

Salary is directly relative to the cost of living.

Here in Alberta, we are the hotspot in Canada for Oil & Gas, I know programmers who make between $30-$45/hr depending on skill-set, and the complexity of the parts the company manufactures.

But you go to buy a house in Alberta and you pay for it. I cry when I see Houses on the DIY network, some places in the USA you can buy a mansion for $200k... I cant even buy a trailer at the dump for that much here....Relative

But you go to buy a house in Alberta and you pay for it. I cry when I see Houses on the DIY network, some places in the USA you can buy a mansion for $200k... I cant even buy a trailer at the dump for that much here....Relative

Its the same here in the GTA. Everytime I see one of those HGTV shows about house buying in the states and watch the people complain that the 3000+ sq/ft house for 250k is just too small for them I want to reach into the TV and strangle them !!!!

250k might buy me a nice condo apartment the size of a minivan around here somewhere. Maybe

• Like 1

over a decade ago, i worked at a place where machinist/operators (hand coding skills only) could get into 6 figures with massive OT and the programmers would complain if they got down to 100k even, with limited OT.

depends on the work.

currently in the chump change category and never been happier.

• Like 1

$30-35 is good money for a programmer. Seems like allot of people look at this as chump change these days.

Now to find a job that pays 6 figures for 40 to 50 hours a week are really hard.But they are there.

But also 6 figures in Cali is not what it used to be.

But I still say that $30-35 even here is still good pay these days.

"cali" is a big state. I have no idea what cost of living in socal might be, but that kind of money goes a long way in my neck of the woods. 20 mile drive from the country to work. no traffic so it takes under 20 min door to door.

• Like 9

Mom and Pop usually get bent out of shape when they realize their programmer is making more that they

are. :laughing:

Maybe if they aren't running their business very well. I would expect to make at LEAST a 2:1 return on a programmer, even if I were paying them $100k per year. Any less and I got the wrong employee and it is time for a change...