Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

what is the average salary of mastercam programmers in usa

robel

I always looked for a challenge. The money always seemed to follow.

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner, give that fellow a cupie doll

When you look for and can meet those challenges, many times it will fall into place. If the work isn't challenging, one it's not likely very rewarding either in feeling good about what you accomplish or in what you take home in your pocket.

I've kept jobs for lower $$$'s because I was bleeding everything I could out of learning everything I could.

When I learned and set in place the processes to keep it going, I moved on....

And here I am now.

I didn't take this job "because" it was easy, I took it because it was hard and the demand, expectations and stress are HIGH!

Zoober, amazing how a good owner and a well run company can contribute to ones "intangible" portion of the paycheck.

So, what's your secret?

Do you stil work for the same company you did 3-4 years ago?

If I recal correctly I meet with you and the owner of a company about that long ago and my prospects for even a low 6 figure salary were bleek at best.

Granted I'm not as well rounded as you are :unworthy: , but can hold my own with about 85-90% of programers and CAD guys out there.

Need to sharpen my skills, I guess. :book:

No secrets here. I started at 15, got coffee, swept, burred, and learned from the older more experienced guys - my step dad was one. I never felt I was above any task, and willing to learn from anybody. I did jump from place to place early on, learning different ways of doing things. At 20, I got a job by telling the owner "hire me for a month. If there is a machine I can't setup in the shop, fire me, and that month is free. " I worked there for six years. I took on projects that I had no right doing, learning along the way. I crashed and burned on a few, still learning from my mistakes.

But I always put my worth in perspective.... Don't price yourself out of a job. Value your way to it.

Bob is spot on. You are only worth the value you give. I can run machines, program, repair machines, plan, quote, DFM, etc. and am willing to do any and or all for my employer.

I also learned a huge amount as an AE, by seeing the new and different ways of doing things by all the different shops I went to "as the expert".

Even the "expert" learns daily.

Oscar, I am at a different shop. The best place ive ever worked. And it only took 36 years to find it!

• Like 2

Whenever you are hungry, Jay. I forgot to say I also have 1hr lunches. :D

But ya..... I've paid the dues.

But now, I not only make good money, but I work for a fantastic owner and company. I truly WANT to make him a 1%er.

The last place payed well, but the politics and the way people were treated made it feel like minimum wage.

I'm a blessed man. With good friends.

Zoob lets talk about next week. lets talk by the end of this week.

It depends on the employeer too.

A mom and pop shop does not have the cash flow to pay top dollar.

ive been working for the same mom and pop shop since i was 18, came in not knowing a single thing and making $8. 7 years later and im comfortable here at $22/hr, plus my boss brings breakfast tacos everyday

• Like 2

No secrets here. I started at 15, got coffee, swept, burred, and learned from the older more experienced guys - my step dad was one. I never felt I was above any task, and willing to learn from anybody. I did jump from place to place early on, learning different ways of doing things. At 20, I got a job by telling the owner "hire me for a month. If there is a machine I can't setup in the shop, fire me, and that month is free. " I worked there for six years. I took on projects that I had no right doing, learning along the way. I crashed and burned on a few, still learning from my mistakes.

But I always put my worth in perspective.... Don't price yourself out of a job. Value your way to it.

Bob is spot on. You are only worth the value you give. I can run machines, program, repair machines, plan, quote, DFM, etc. and am willing to do any and or all for my employer.

I also learned a huge amount as an AE, by seeing the new and different ways of doing things by all the different shops I went to "as the expert".

Even the "expert" learns daily.

Oscar, I am at a different shop. The best place ive ever worked. And it only took 36 years to find it!

Sweet story bud. I'm sure you've paid your far sare of dues.

Glad to hear you're at a place where you're happy to walk in the door. I think that's what makes the biggest difference for those of us that love the trade but hate the drama.

Trust me, I've left good money on the table simply becuase the match wasn't good.

So yes, I would agree, it's not all about the money.

• Like 1

i live atlanta ,georgia. i did not find that much manufacturing jobs. i make $21 hr to program and setup machines for production no seat at office work like operaters. is there any place in usa good payment. please refer me which state is good for manufacting jobs and payment. how much did they pay per hour .

So, to answer the OP, from what I've seen the the majority of CNC manufacturing jobs a split between three major states. Not that there is'nt work in other sates but a majority seem to be in California, Illinois, Texas.

Pay is always going to vary and a lot of the reason why have already been posted here by others, but $20-$35 seems to be the range. Being as that's a pretty big range, I'm almost sure you would be able to find something in between in almost any state and might even be more in the states with less CNC jobs as the people with the right skills I would assume would be harder to find locally.

BTW, 20x2 box in the shop that I share with a few others, plenty of window with a beautiful view of ... the shop. AC barely keeps up in the summer months and makes for some interesting scents :nuke:

And shop owners wonder why they cant find good help. According to the link below from .gov, someone making $25 in the mid 90's would have to make $37-38 to have the same buying power today. We know that .gov always under estimates inflation. $25 is not really good money anymore when gas is $3+ and medical care eats away 1/4 of your income. by the time you pay all your taxes, high cost of food, etc you just can't make it on $25. To ask someone that has spent years learning and mastering a trade to work for a wage that would require them to take gov assistance to get by is down right offending. JM2C

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

• Like 1

And shop owners wonder why they cant find good help. According to the link below from .gov, someone making $25 in the mid 90's would have to make $37-38 to have the same buying power today. We know that .gov always under estimates inflation. $25 is not really good money anymore when gas is $3+ and medical care eats away 1/4 of your income. by the time you pay all your taxes, high cost of food, etc you just can't make it on $25. To ask someone that has spent years learning and mastering a trade to work for a wage that would require them to take gov assistance to get by is down right offending. JM2C

I dunno, I can make it just fine on less than $25/hr. It depends entirely on your cost of living, and you've got to be somewhat smart with your money. Heck, my wife only makes about $13/hr, and between her and I we live comfortably enough for us. Do we have tons of extra money to invest or save? Of course not, but we're also only a few years out of college. Give me a few more years to pay off my car and student loans, and we'll be sitting very comfortably. Heck, if I didn't have the student loans I'd be extremely comfortable with what I'm making right now.

No one making $25/hr should have to take government assistance, except perhaps. in areas of extremely high cost of living. you might not have a fancy new car or a big house, but you'll be just fine at $25/hr.

$25/hr x 40hrs x 52 weeks = $52k/yr

In my neck of the woods, a family of 4, you're not even breaking even month to month.

By the time you've paid, your taxes, health ins, rent, what you have left isn't providing any kind of decent lifestyle

No offense Marshal, but your $25 + your wife's $13 = pretty much what YoDoug said...Here in Oregon,$25- $30 is really good pay at least for a machinist/programmer. My job is probably 85% machining 15% programming. Everything from manual lathe/mill to 5 axis CNC. We have a very hard time finding people who can do it all and are not specialized. We need old school journymen that also program, set up, and operate CNC.

• Like 1

$50k/yr is excellent pay here,. If you're making $75-100k/yr as a family, you're doing very well. Heck, my parents combined make around $80-90k and that's enough to run a farm and have plenty left over to have some fun. Granted, the farm partly pays for itself, but still doesn't break even. They were making a lot less when they had us three kids in the house, but we still lived a comfortable lifestyle and were never short for the things we needed.

Between my wife and I, we're just over breaking even on our current bills, but that's our own fault for having so many student loans and two car payments. We certainly don't have a huge house, but we have a comfortable house that's perfect for our first home. At the same time, we can adjust our lifestyle to have more money left over simply by eating out less often, or by packing a lunch. There's also the option of trading one of our cars in on something we wouldn't have a payment on. In a few years when our cars are paid off we'll have an awful lot left over after each month compared to what we have now...or would if we weren't having a kid in July (that's going to be a whole different mess). I still can manage to save up enough to go to a few hunting banquets and spend some money at those, as well as a fishing trip to lake of the woods each year, and even a ballgame or two.

If you can't live in this area as a single person on $25/hr, or a couple with one kid at $40/hr, you're doing something wrong and need to reevaluate your spending habits.

I'm certainly not saying there's areas where $50k/yr isn't enough, but my area is definitely not one of those. Perhaps we have a different definition of "decent lifestyle" here, but there's a heck of a lot of people making way less than I am, and they're doing just fine with their 3 kids. I look at how much my parents had when I was growing up, and how much my wife's parents had when she was growing up, and realize I'm doing awfully well for my job and area. I also realize that if my parents could raise 3 kids and run a money-pit of a farm on their wages, then I can certainly raisea family and pay my bills on my wages.

If you can't live in this area as a single person on $25/hr, or a couple with one kid at $40/hr, you're doing something wrong and need to reevaluate your spending habits.

Cost of living is a bit higher in the Twin cities Metro than Winona. However my post pointed out that the wages for skilled machinists/programmers have not risen at the same pace as inflation. You may be comfortable at $25 now but in 10-15 years and the current rate of inflation will you be willing to take a job for the same wage you make today?

totally agree - when you can work a call centre and make 12-15 / h .. someone who is skilled and taking on often a stressful job should be paying well beyond that

totally agree - when you can work a call centre and make 12-15 / h .. someone who is skilled and taking on often a stressful job should be paying well beyond that

and we've got mouth breathers at UAW plants pushing a broom making $35/hr. and worse than that, they think they deserve that pay for that job. :thumbdown:

• Like 1