Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Poor finish

KMartin

Hi everyone - I need some help with the finish on this

surface . Is there a better tool path I can use or do

I need to modify my tolerance settings . I'm using

a Hass machine and the memory is limited so I don't

want to go over 1 meg . I don't have DNC and I really

don't want to split the program .I haven't had problems

in the past with finish . It's just the way surface curves

that's causing the problem . Thanks far any help .

I'm using X6 .

PART1.MCX-6

+1 on the Flowline toolpath. That's probably one of my favorite toolpaths to use for surfacing. Easy and quick to setup.

I would also suggest using a larger diameter ball endmill to help with your finish, if you can get away with it.

This will allow you to take bigger step overs which will help keep the program short and will blend your scallops better.

.007 step over with a .75 ball should produce a micro of 17.8 RMS. with no discernible scallop height. Mighty nice IMO. (.008 =21.0 RMS, .009 =26. RMS)

In your tool path, change your cutting method to one way, climb cutting. Better finish.

Arc filter settings: Total tolerance = .001 and enable arcs in XY XZ YZ. This will take you from 1668.3K to 770.5K tool path size.

• Like 1

.007 step over with a .75 ball should produce a micro of 17.8 RMS. with no discernible scallop height. Mighty nice IMO. (.008 =21.0 RMS, .009 =26. RMS)

That was my first thought as well. The larger tool diameter suggestion was more to reduce the amount of passes he'd have to take with out sacrificing finish and still work with his limited memory capasity(1mg). Which is not bad. I've done some pretty large surfaces with a 1mg. Haas.

I looked at the file and ran a Flowline toolpath on it with some typical settings that I usually use (similar to what you posted) and the same .750 cutter, and the got about 750k as well.

One way climb has also worked very well for me in the past. Lots of added machine rapid motion, but definately help with finish.