Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Disappearing geometry and dirty solids

Guyinthedesert

So, I had been using X5MU1, and had been leary of X6 with all it's issues when it was released, and mainly because of the lack of backward compatability. I've been using X6MU1 for 6 mo or so now, bacause I really like Opti core and Opti rest. I ran into a couple

problems this week I've never encountered before.

I was drawing up a solid for a new part. As I draw, I'll save my file every few minuites or so, as you never know when MC is going to crash. I had this model about 2/3 done when the solid just disappeared. WTF? I looked at my solid tree and there were about 14 operations with ?" and the rest had red X.

So I reloaded my last saved file, and it was the same. ##$%^#@!!! I tried to regen and all I got was an endless barage of warning pop ups. Then I look, and about 1/2 of my geometry was gone. WTF. No rhyme or reason to it either. Some chains were completely gone, some only pieces were gone. Different layer, different colors, different planes.

There's no way I deleted them by accident because the layers they were on were all turned off. I never got any warnings. When I did my last save, I never got any warnings that I had dirty solids. So I spent a few hours getting all this straightened out, finished the complete model, saved it, everything was good.

Next day, I go to load in the file, and I get an error, some BS about regenerating blah blsh blah. I look at my model, and the geomerty for one hole was gone.

Anybody ever seen this? The mdel is good, I save it, then it comes back bad.

And, don't get me started on how many times I crashed running toolpaths.

I never had any problems like this with V6 though X5. Should I install MU2, or uninstall X6?

I would also look in Settings/ Configuration/Files and see where my Temp files were

being stored, go there and deleted them all. Make sure Mastercam is closed when you do this.

When Mastercam closes properly, it deletes it's temp files as part of the closing process.

When it crashes, the temp files get left behind. Over the course of a year or so, Mastercam's

temp folder can get pretty big.

I path my Temp and Backup folders to the root of C where it's easy to find and clean them out

at least once a week.

I would also look in Settings/ Configuration/Files and see where my Temp files were

being stored, go there and deleted them all. Make sure Mastercam is closed when you do this.

When Mastercam closes properly, it deletes it's temp files as part of the closing process.

When it crashes, the temp files get left behind. Over the course of a year or so, Mastercam's

temp folder can get pretty big.

I path my Temp and Backup folders to the root of C where it's easy to find and clean them out

at least once a week.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do this monday. I hadn't installed mu2 yet, bacause I need to have our IT guy do it.

He is by far the worst, most moronic IT guy on earth and I cringe whenever he touches my computer. It's almost gauranteed

my plotter won't work after he leaves.

Another Tip

under config:

You can set it to save your file in a second place on your computer so you can go back to an earlier save.......I have mine set to 10 I think.....you can do more..........I also clean this folder out every once in a while as it gets rather large.............I have had this save me a few of times over the years......

:cheers:

Another Tip

under config:

You can set it to save your file in a second place on your computer so you can go back to an earlier save.......I have mine set to 10 I think.....you can do more..........I also clean this folder out every once in a while as it gets rather large.............I have had this save me a few of times over the years......

:cheers:

The Mastercam Backup utility has saved me more times than I can count.

It's saved me from crashes, but more importantly, it's saved me from my own stupidity many times.

How many of us can recall that sick feeling you get when you realize you just overwrote 2 weeks of work with a new (and empty ) file :laughing:

or 2 hours into some great idea you realize it's a terrible idea and wish you could back out of it.

If you have Backup enabled, you can.

Are you saving to a network location? If so it might lose a packet here or there making a corrupted file. I've found Mastercam really prefers saving local.

We've got 5 guys working on a network without any issues

All posts, machine defs, control defs, tool libraries and part files are saved to the network.

Config, op and backup files are local.. We don't have any trouble with this setup.. but we have a very fast network

Are you saving to a network location? If so it might lose a packet here or there making a corrupted file. I've found Mastercam really prefers saving local.

All of our mastercam stuff is from a network location and we have never had issues with corrupt files. There is only 2 of us here though. The last place I worked at with NX we had heaps of trouble posting over the network...kept getting erroneous code.

Yes, it is a network. The reason I never save local is that I use STL files for my stock, going from one operation to the next. If I savel local, then transfer it to the network, all my paths are wrong and it's error city if you try to regen a toolpath. However, now with X6 I'm using stock model, so that's no longer an issue