Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS running sub-programs from usb stick

GibbsMachineCorp

From HAAS website

USB Drip Feeding (FNC)

Have you ever wanted to run a program and it is too large to fit in the machine memory?

One option was to connect your Haas machine up to a computer via an RS 232 connection and through a communication package or NC editor, to talk to the machine and drip feed in a program or DNC.

This involved getting the wiring in the RS 232 plugs correct, ensuring that the computer settings and machine settings were all set correctly and then hoping that while the program was running nobody touched anything on the computer to stop it communicating.

With the introduction of the USB port from 15 and 8 series software and the introduction of the device manager in LIST PROGRAMS it is possible to run a program straight from a USB stick.

To run straight from the USB, press LIST PROGRAMS and then open up your USB device, once the device is open find the program that you require to run in the root directory or in a sub folder on the USB. Once you have located the program you want to run, instead of copying the file to the memory on the machine use the SELECT PROG key.

When this is pressed the program that you want to run will appear on the screen but won't be in MEMORY like a normal program it will be in FNC and will say FNC USB and the file name.NC above the program.

This program can now be ran like a normal program in MEMORY, you can search through the program e.g. tool changes etc and start from where you need to in the program.

Once you have finished with the program you will need to tell the machine you have finished with the program.

Go back to LIST PROGRAMS, usually this will take you straight back to the USB device and you will see your program you've been running, if not find the program.

There will be an FNC symbol next to the program which needs to be removed by pressing the SELECT PROG key again.

The program is now turned off FNC and the machine will use the program last selected in memory again.

N.B. If you don't close the program and just remove the USB stick, the USB timeout alarms will appear as the control is still trying to read the USB.

Jeff

From HAAS website

USB Drip Feeding (FNC)

Have you ever wanted to run a program and it is too large to fit in the machine memory?

One option was to connect your Haas machine up to a computer via an RS 232 connection and through a communication package or NC editor, to talk to the machine and drip feed in a program or DNC.

This involved getting the wiring in the RS 232 plugs correct, ensuring that the computer settings and machine settings were all set correctly and then hoping that while the program was running nobody touched anything on the computer to stop it communicating.

With the introduction of the USB port from 15 and 8 series software and the introduction of the device manager in LIST PROGRAMS it is possible to run a program straight from a USB stick.

To run straight from the USB, press LIST PROGRAMS and then open up your USB device, once the device is open find the program that you require to run in the root directory or in a sub folder on the USB. Once you have located the program you want to run, instead of copying the file to the memory on the machine use the SELECT PROG key.

When this is pressed the program that you want to run will appear on the screen but won't be in MEMORY like a normal program it will be in FNC and will say FNC USB and the file name.NC above the program.

This program can now be ran like a normal program in MEMORY, you can search through the program e.g. tool changes etc and start from where you need to in the program.

Once you have finished with the program you will need to tell the machine you have finished with the program.

Go back to LIST PROGRAMS, usually this will take you straight back to the USB device and you will see your program you've been running, if not find the program.

There will be an FNC symbol next to the program which needs to be removed by pressing the SELECT PROG key again.

The program is now turned off FNC and the machine will use the program last selected in memory again.

N.B. If you don't close the program and just remove the USB stick, the USB timeout alarms will appear as the control is still trying to read the USB.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the responces guys. The reason I wanted to run subs from a usb is it takes so long to load the files into memory. We use DNC-Max and have our machines connected with RS-232 cables. Our programs can be very long and I don't think they would all fit in memory. I just saw an option in DNC-Max concerning sub-porgrams. I will have to try this and see what I get. Does anyone have experience with DNC-Max and sub-programs? Thanks again guys.

Are you running M97 local or M98 external?

If you're calling the sub that resides outside of the main I could see why the USB wouldn't support that,....

Try writing a small M97 local sub program and see if it will work across the USB

RS232 is going to be the slowest method of communication,...

Thanks for the responces guys. The reason I wanted to run subs from a usb is it takes so long to load the files into memory. We use DNC-Max and have our machines connected with RS-232 cables. Our programs can be very long and I don't think they would all fit in memory. I just saw an option in DNC-Max concerning sub-porgrams. I will have to try this and see what I get. Does anyone have experience with DNC-Max and sub-programs? Thanks again guys.

The "External Sub-Programs" Option in DNC-Max works best during drip feeding, when DNC-Max Drips an "M98 1234 L10" it will send program 1234 11 times, Just like if it was running sub calls locally. You can set DNC-Max to send subs form a specific folder, but it will grab it from the $DATA tag by default.

CImco Products are amazingly flexible, just take some playing with and the Help "?" is really helpful. they even provide a fancy "test set" for making sure settings are correct.

Thanks RayD. I tried this but had no luck. Here's my main program that calls for the subs:

%

O2300 (FEMALE BACKS)

G90 G54

M98 P2318

G90 G55

M98 P2319

G59 X0. Y0.

G90

G54

M30

%

I don't know how to setup DNC-Max so when I remote request O2300.nc (the main program) it will send the subs when they are called for. Cimco tech support basicly told me to copy and paste P2318 and P2319 together and send that program. These subs are huge and change all the time. I'm afraid I will need you to show me if possible exactly how to do this if it's possible.

Thanks in advance.

You would have to edit what you have slightly, Remove the "P" as that is a local call on the Haas, teh filename has to match 100% to your files in DNC/NC-Base

This should be all you have to do, you might have to adjust some extensions, or folders subs are stored in if your DNC is set-up wonky.

2013-02-22_1442.png

Thanks RayD, working like a charm. This made my life a lot easier, well at least at work.

Glad I could help

It amazes me what Cimco is capabule of, everytime i get confronted with a probelm I alwas find a way to make it work, such powerful and flexible software