Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Mastercam PC Build

Rotary Ninja

I am putting together a new PC to do my Mastercam learning at home. I am looking for input on the components because this will be the first PC I have ever built that didn't have gaming in mind. I do a lot of graphic design and my gaming PC has always been fine at handling that task. But ever since I got Mastercam HLE and started training I see the limits of the gaming PC. So here we go...

PC_zps2a5edb76.png

The Parts List:

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400

GPU: PNY VCQ4000-PB Quadro 4000 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

Hard Drive Array (RAID 10):

Dual Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drives (SSD)

Dual Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD2500HHTZ 250GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drives

PSU: Antec High Current Pro HCP-750 750W SLI/CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Power Supply

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Blue Ray: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive

I am not too set on the motherboard, but it has a lot of really cool features like the SSD caching, tons of USB 3.0, and all the normal bells and whistles. I already have the SSD's and the VelociRaptors. I also have the PSU, case, and Blue Ray player. These are all components from a build I never finished. So all I really need to buy is the motherboard, CPU, memory, and graphics card and the operating system. Should I go Windows 8? I really, really, really don't want to use tiles, so I know I will hack it if I do get it.

Oh, and by the way... anyone interested in doing a raid 10 with a pair of Velociraptors - Newegg has a pretty good deal going on right now on the 250 Gig Sata III drives HERE.

I wouldn't go windows 8. Why would you? It is very tablet based...plus now that the special is over, you'll have to pay a few hundred bucks instead of the 40 that i got it for, Windows 7 64bit is still my OS of choice, and by the time they drop support for it, you will be ready to buy a new rig anyway. Wish I could afford a nice machine like that for at home on top of a gaming pc!

I watch Newegg and our local Fry's. When I see something cheap like the VelociRaptors I xxxx them up. I have a closet full of PC components because of it. Some of the parts for this build are ones I am currently using in my gaming PC which I will probably rebuild for my Step Son.

I figured I would go Windows 7. Just curious what others thought on a new build.

I am going to document the entire build so everyone interested can see how easy it is to build one. When finished I'd like to run some comparisons to our PC's at work.

I have basically that same setup but got the i7-3930 (Hex core) and i love this system.

with OC (2400mhz) ram you need to setup a bunch of stuff in your bios to actually get it to run at that speed.

Yeah, I would have to OC my current setup to get my Vengence to run at 1600. But I just have it running at 1333. in this system just because it was a temporary build when my old Dell bit the dust.

1) nice case ;)

2) I went with the X79 sabertooth because it's construction seemed more... hearty. military grade. amazing warranty. My computer sits next to my Mill, so I wanted durable construction.

3) If you're setting this machine in a shop somewhere, I'd definitely invest in case fan filters. I have 10 fans in my 400R, and all intakes are filtered. (400R comes with a bottom filter, and a front filter, but no filters on the side) I just cleaned them for the first time recently, and found the inside of the case almost spotless.

I just had the displeasure of trying out Winblows 8 on my Wife's new laptops she bought for her sale. Yeah, they can keep it. What were they thinking??? That is really awful. I'm going to install Windows 7 on both of them.

It's more or less designed for touch screens.

As for your motherboard, I've heard that Gigabyte's latest model is the best.

I already have the case. What part of the H100 has a clearance issue? Is it the fans?

that case is amazing. great design.

Yes, everything had clearance but the fans got in the way of the power supply cable connecting to the motherboard. Plus, I wanted push/pull fans on the radiator. so, i mounted two fans inside the case, then the radiator and two more fans outside the case. the modification was easy enough using a pencil grinder.

As for your motherboard, I've heard that Gigabyte's latest model is the best.

I've used two Gigabyte mobos on two separate PC builds, and they both failed within a year. Maybe I had an isolated experience, but it's enough for me that I'll never buy another Gigabyte brand component. :-/

I've never had an ASUS mobo die on me, and that includes computers that have ran for over 6 years. (hand me downs)

I can't endorse the Sabertooth enough. It's an amazing mobo.... and it has a 5 year warranty. few electronic components boast such a thing.

I just had the displeasure of trying out Winblows 8 on my Wife's new laptops she bought for her sale. Yeah, they can keep it. What were they thinking??? That is really awful. I'm going to install Windows 7 on both of them.

I bought a Acer Win8 tablet and I like Win8 on that.. but for a working computer.. forget it

that case is amazing. great design.

Yes, everything had clearance but the fans got in the way of the power supply cable connecting to the motherboard. Plus, I wanted push/pull fans on the radiator. so, i mounted two fans inside the case, then the radiator and two more fans outside the case. the modification was easy enough using a pencil grinder.

I was thinking of going with a shroud and the fans outside the case. I would do push/pull, but I don't think I am going to produce enough heat to need it. This case is very roomy and the fan placement is great. Even when doing some serious gaming my internals stay plenty cool.

Oh, that case I have pictured is just a Photoshop I did. I just thought it would be cool since the title of this thread is "Custom Mastercam PC Build". I guess I should have stated that in my initial post. After seeing it though I may have to get me some decals ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have all my hard drives and I just purchased the Quadro 2000D. All I have left to buy is the motherboard, CPU, Blu-Ray burner and CPU cooler.

I will update when I get the rest of the components. I'll take pics of the build to show everyone. Then we'll run some benchmarks.

Ahh. Yes, it is a great case. It really stood out when I was at Fry's. I love that place. They have all the PC cases on display so you can really look them over. This one was the best for the price.

That case looks allot like my Cooler Master case. love the case I have lots of room and options..