Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horizontal Machining Centers

We're looking to replace storm damaged machinery.

I am currently looking into HMC's.

I'm looking at 630mm and 800mm machines with full 4th axis.

We are an Aerospace Company.

We cut a lot of PH stainless, some aluminum, some steel, some titanium too.

Which manufacturers do you like and why?

Which manufacturers don't you like and why?

"We cut a lot of PH stainless"

For this type of materials, OKK must be also considered.

From the machines mentioned above, the Makino is at the top of my list. Niigata (we have several) is at the bottom...

I'd add a Mori in there, never had problems with them.

Again, support is very important when considering new equipment. If you get better support from emastercam then your dealer, it's time to look elsewhere ;)

I moved this to the Machining Thread.

Probably get more action here.

We have 3 Mitsubishi HMC's of various sizes and they are good machines.

We have an Okuma 5X HMC on the way that I'm real excited about.

Thanks for moving this Tom.

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Most of the machines you guys have mentioned I am having quoted.

One of my concerns for some brands is their support and part availability down the road.

Whoah hey Don, hope you are doing well. :cheers:

Makino and Mazak are what I am most familiar with.

I'd rate Makino highest. Best control, best features, best service around here.

We have a HMC Makino and an Okuma in house that have been good reliable machines.

Just purchased 3 Okuma Verticals, 2 Studer grinders, a Makino wire EDM and a Makino sinker EDM

Now I'm looking for 2 HMC's.

Lots of salesman circling above our shop these days! :sofa:

Matsuura, would be my first choice, you will be hard pressed to find a better built machine, they really excel in had materials and tight tolerance work. Especially if you plan on using the machine for more then 3 years.

The only other well supported brand I'd use for your application would be Makino, another high class machine.

Smaller more specialty brands (look into service and support for these) would be Yasda, OKK, Niigata.

Mazak seems popular on this board, watch out for service... Do a search on their service in your area, seems like the only place in the world that doesn't absolutely loath Mazak service is the bay area of California.

We were looking hard at a Mazak e1850 but 2 of our customers who own Mazaks

convinced my boss that Mazak was not the way to go.

One cutomers has 4 of them and it's rare that one of them isn't down.

I'm not a fan of Mazak.

They seem to have lots of issues (not to mention shimmed ways rather than hand scraped).

I'm not a fan of Mazak.

They seem to have lots of issues (not to mention shimmed ways rather than hand scraped).

Or the small ways, small ballscrews, roller bearings on the ends of the ballscrews etc etc

I'm running a 400mm 27 pallet Matsuura HMC that is on its original 15k spindle, its over 15 years old. Mechanical lash in the 50mm ballscrews is 7 microns or less on all axis, easily and accurately comp'd out on the control. Did I mention is has 110mm box ways :smoke:

Mostly from replacing spindles, ballscrews, thrust bearings and other various crap on Mazak machines made in the last 15 years. Oh and actually owning one of these heaps myself :harhar:

So a 20 year old 6 inch chuck Mazak lathe is where you're getting that opinion. :laughing:

So a 20 year old 6 inch chuck Mazak lathe is where you're getting that opinion. :laughing:

Negative, due to lack of support from Mazak in this area I get roped into fixing friends machines as well, which has gotten me familiar with Mazak machines up to about 2008.

Mazak is a fine machine if you don't want to run the machine for 10-20 years without costing $$$ to maintain it compared to other brands. Mazak parts are the most expensive comparably to other Japanese brands, and is anybody going to argue that they have the poorest service/support of any of the Japanese brands? For certain types of work I think the ROI of Mazak is going to be tough to beat, but if its going to be a long term piece of equipment for the company I'd look other places.