Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary broaching question.

Ahoy!

I am curious to know if a rotary broach needs full engagement to operate correctly. The application I am thinking of is squaring out one end of a slot. If the slot is 10mm x 20mm could I in theory use a 10x10 rotary broach to square off one of the ends?

Thanks

Bruce

I think the problem with a rotary broach is that you really have no control of the angle that it starts. When we rotary broach, its usually on a lathe or a mill where we are broaching a square, hex, or terx head onto a part. The part (lathe) or tool (mill) just spins at the required RPM and when the part and tool touch they engage and start the broaching process.

Maybe you could feed the tool into the part at 0 RPM, get it lined up and pressing into the part, close the door and hit start and have the spindle turn on and start the broaching process.

Thanks

David

David,

I was thinking of using an allignment bar for that. One of the supplier websites shows how to do that, can 't remember which one. I just wonder how stable the "wobble" will be if the tool isn't loaded up evenly. It might be a good idea to email a supplier direct and see what they say.

cheers

Bruce

One challenge with rotary broaching this part will be the pilot hole. There needs to be enough room in the hole for the chips to accumulate. I'm not sure if that will ruin the slot. Additionally, most pilot holes for rotary broaching are slightly oversized to create individual chips when broaching. The dog should still work, but you will want to think about where the chips will go after you've machined the slot. Hope that helps.