Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What SolidWorks versions open with what Mastercam X versions?

I-CAM

Is there a list published anywhere of what file types can be opened in a Mastercam X version?

I would like to know what version SolidWorks native parts files can be opened in each version of Mastercam X2, X3, X4 & X5.

Meaning these file versions: SW2009.sldprt & SW2009.sldasm, SW2010.sldprt & SW2010.sldasm, SW2011.sldprt & SW2011.sldasm, SW2012.sldprt & SW2012.sldasm, SW2013.sldprt & SW2013.sldasm.

The manual simple says Mastercam supports these file types: Pro E, SolidWorks, Inventor, etc.... with out listing any versions.

Thanks for the reply, but my testing here with SW2010 & SW2012 had different results.

When Mastercam X_ cannot open the SW file it gives the same error in all cases, "Cannot find Parasolid data in SolidWorks file."

Yes I know you can save it off in SW in about 56 flavors of Parasolids, but that is too time consuming to do that here.

32x XP station

X2MR2SP1 - opens SW2010.SLDPRT and will NOT open SW2010.SLDASM. Will not open any SW2012 files.

X4MU3 - opens SW2010.SLDPRT and will NOT open SW2010.SLDASM. Will not open any SW2012 files.

64x XP station

X4MU3 - opens SW2010.SLDPRT and opens SW2010.SLDASM. Will not open any SW2012 files.

Will X5SP0 open SW2012?

Any other method or settings to get Mastercam to open these files natively. I saw one suggestion online to install SW Document Manager, although I do not know why that would work.

"Looks like you're expecting Forward Compatibility..." - no just looking to see if there is any compatibility published anywhere.

Must be buy it and try it mentality?

I guess we already have "Forward Compatibility" don't we if X2 MR2SP1 opens SW2010.SLDPRT files.

Jay - thks. What does Direct Conv. - Mastercam X5 Direct for Solidworks 32-bit application do?

1.) What he said ^. the cannot find parasolid data warning ususallly means you need to register the swdocument Manager. Use the search feature, it has been discussed many times.

2.) Keep in mind that to open a sldasm the sldprt files must also be available.

3.) The data I first posted was taken from a published technical document available to Mastercam re-sellers.

Jay - thks. What does Direct Conv. - Mastercam X5 Direct for Solidworks 32-bit application do?

This gives you two options one is if you have SW on that same computer to bring the file from SW after you turn it on in SW add-ons to bring your file into MC with some of the history instead of a dum solid. for you you create a FSB file in solid works on another computer that runs SW then use the Chook in MC to bring this in with some of the history. but you are still stuck with what versions that that Mastercam supports.