Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic open contour

mig

You can treat it like an open pocket Using Dynamic Core. Create a closed boundary that represents the stock. See attached picture.

The second picture shows the same part using a Solid. Opti-core and Opti-rest, using the same boundary as a containment for the neck recess, which is an open pocket.

Edit: My bad guys, that first picture should have been named 2d High Speed Dynamic core - open pocket.

post-18319-0-30679200-1367672107_thumb.jpg

post-18319-0-20128700-1367672854_thumb.jpg

Mig, It works with Dynamic Contour no problem. Just select the open chain. Settings in the tool path were straight forward. See picture. It will Multi pass as well by defining multiple step overs in the finish passes dialog box.

In my example above I used Dynamic core mill. My bad. I mis read your inquiry and it was asking about Dynamic contour. The part shape is the blue chain and was closed. This was my avoidance region. The purple chain represented the raw material, "Machining region". The end result was an open pocket style of machining, entering from outside the raw material.

I tried that same part above, copied the tool path, omitting the closed profile of the bass body, and used a open chain (blue) for the avoidance region, purple was the machining region. I then selected a custom entry. Point failed, single line failed , circle failed and a closed chain failed. Every time I received the error "Open chains will be ignored (custom entry not chosen". Yes, I choose it every time and entry speeds and feeds were set. Either Dynamic Core mill does not support open chains or I'm way off here.

The video does not show the chaining method.

MC help files: Dynamic Contour—mills material off walls supporting closed or open chains.

Dynamic Core Mill—machines open pocket shapes or standing core shapes using the outmost chain as the stock boundary. The tool moves freely outside of this area; the inner chain defines the limit of the toolpath.

Kieth. I could not get Dynamic Contour to rough in that fashion. How did you do it?

post-18319-0-86176300-1367766315_thumb.jpg

Ahh. I was wondering when I saw your reply Keith. But I got Dynamic Contour to work with an open chain just fine.

I created an open chain and used an open pocket toolpath to rough it out with a 1/2" endmill leaving .025 stock on the walls. I then created a Dynamic Contour using the same open chain. I chose a 1/4" endmill and it works beautifully. It may be you are setting things up wrong on the Contour Wall page. Set the size of your roughing tool radius, in my case is .250". And set the stock thickness (I left .025" with the 1/2" pocket toolpath). Don't set the value for "Minimum Toolpath Radius". If you do you will get an error. It wants one or the other I think.

This is a great toolpath and I think I am going to make use of it tomorrow when I go back to work.

Ok ,

I found it works ,but you have to wach Parameters as "Radius of tool that shaped stock and Min toolpath rad that shaped the stock".

For some reason it does't work some times when in my opimion it must work .

I can't realy find the rule so far

Glad you like it, Kevin!

You should use both options... The idea is that this toolpath doesn't really "look" at stock remaining from another toolpath (like a rest machining/optirest toolpath would), so you have to tell it what you did previously. Technically, you only need to define the stock thickness remaining, and it'll calculate a toolpath based on that (as if the chain is "offset"), but of course you won't know if there's one area with more stock remaining from roughing with a big tool, it would just treat the whole thing you're cutting as a set thickness.

So if you had a shape like this one:

post-12334-0-68805400-1367931667_thumb.jpg

I have fillet radius of 5mm set in each corner, and I'm finishing with a 5mm mill. If I had roughed that out, I would use a tool with a diameter of, say, 20mm, and I may tell the the roughing toolpath to have a minimum arc radius of 12mm. I need to tell Dynamic Contour that so it can properly calculate where material is left and how to attack it:

post-12334-0-05498500-1367932015_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-05394000-1367932019_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-68805400-1367931667_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-05498500-1367932015_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-05394000-1367932019_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Aaron, if that is your toolpath you are a genius. Watch this...

That is a 3/4" endmill sticking out 5.375". It's taking a .025" axial cut and a 1.500" depth.

I was initially worried about getting this endmill to work after roughing with a 2" facemill. But this toolpath worked way better than I ever expected.

• Like 1

I stepped down 1.500" at a time and finished before roughing the next 1.500" depth. Had I known this was going to work so well I would have roughed to the bottom and finished at 2 depths (only because my flute length isn't long enough to do it in one).

Kevin - I can't take credit for the toolpath creation, unfortunately, that belongs to the very (VERY) talented dynamic team, lead by Dave Conigliaro (you'll see him post on here). I'm just trying to clarify the usage for everyone on here :)

Those videos are amazing, thanks for posting them! I'm constantly impressed the more I push tools using the dynamic toolpaths, I never knew the material removal abilities of normal mills were so capable!

• 6 years later...

Dynamic Contour disables the air chains so it isn't stock aware, and for that compromise you get a finish pass in the operation, so it just behaved for me exactly like 2D contour- nothing dynamic about that.  Then I jump to dynamic milling and I can put in an air chain but it won't allow the finish pass in the operation so you need another operation.  It has a lot of room for improvement.  

• Haha 1

I found a "hack" which was to use dyamic mill for rough, and copy, paste, and change the chained geometry combination to something compatible with dynamic contour to attempt to have something like an efficient and logical tool that could rough and finish without multiple interactions.  The only issue there was that dynamic contour seemed less dynamic than 2D contour.  You have less control of the lead ins and outs on the finish if it's "dynamic contour" so you lost some control for the easier "hack" if you will to the dynamic mill not having an ability to finish for itself.  It would be cool also to have the dynamic mill be able to finish with a choice of walls only or walls and floors, and also to be able to control the leads on the wall finish portion independently, kind of like a lathe grooving path where you choose finish leads independently from the groove roughing strategy. 

22 minutes ago, AGreen5 said:

I found a "hack" which was to use dyamic mill for rough, and copy, paste, and change the chained geometry combination to something compatible with dynamic contour to attempt to have something like an efficient and logical tool that could rough and finish without multiple interactions.  The only issue there was that dynamic contour seemed less dynamic than 2D contour.  You have less control of the lead ins and outs on the finish if it's "dynamic contour" so you lost some control for the easier "hack" if you will to the dynamic mill not having an ability to finish for itself.  It would be cool also to have the dynamic mill be able to finish with a choice of walls only or walls and floors, and also to be able to control the leads on the wall finish portion independently, kind of like a lathe grooving path where you choose finish leads independently from the groove roughing strategy. 

I will make a stock model and then make a flat boundary surface to is what I would want to cut with 2D Dynamic. Now I get nice motion only worry about what I want cut and give you all the choices you asked for above. Not sure what I mean put up a sample file and be glad to show what I am referring to. 

I'm getting forced into some mill programming here, so I'll try what you're talking about if I have a part that uses a stock model and can utilize a dynamic path.  I've mostly to date been in mill/turn bar fed machines that can get away without stock models most of the time.  

I watched the streaming teacher videos on stock models on Sunday and I'm going to probably be using them more programming mills.  I had a few hours of stock model training once, but honestly its easy to forget it not using it much hence the refresher. 

20 minutes ago, AGreen5 said:

I'm getting forced into some mill programming here, so I'll try what you're talking about if I have a part that uses a stock model and can utilize a dynamic path.  I've mostly to date been in mill/turn bar fed machines that can get away without stock models most of the time.  

I watched the streaming teacher videos on stock models on Sunday and I'm going to probably be using them more programming mills.  I had a few hours of stock model training once, but honestly its easy to forget it not using it much hence the refresher. 

Need any help you can always post something up. I think you have email me before so if it something you can't share just email me and I will be glad to take a look.

I used dynamic milling today a couple times, I tried making chains by abbreviating a silhouette boundary to clear material to different stock depths.  It didn't like that.  It kept telling me the avoidance geometry was an open chain.  I ended up making chains one for each depth operation from scratch even after extending and trimming and even replacing some of the lines endpoint to endpoint it was still saying they were open chains.    I was trying to train a guy and it was typical Mastercam was making itself look as difficult as it is.  I think he was pretty discouraged.  

6 hours ago, AGreen5 said:

I used dynamic milling today a couple times, I tried making chains by abbreviating a silhouette boundary to clear material to different stock depths.  It didn't like that.  It kept telling me the avoidance geometry was an open chain.  I ended up making chains one for each depth operation from scratch even after extending and trimming and even replacing some of the lines endpoint to endpoint it was still saying they were open chains.    I was trying to train a guy and it was typical Mastercam was making itself look as difficult as it is.  I think he was pretty discouraged.  

What version of Mastercam?

The settings can be tedious for dynamic mill.

If you post a file it would be easier to see fhe

problem!

Also check if you have any breaks in your chain(s).

You can test the wireframe to see if it has any breaks in it by creating splines from curves and looking at the endpoints of the resulting spline.