Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Learning Group

Rotary Ninja

Good idea. I still get problems using Filezilla to upload anything to the FTP. My files show up there 0 KB. It must be a throttling error or something. I can upload to my wife's website and my brother's FTP just fine. So I can't figure it out. Webby said he would setup a section on the website here to make it easier for everyone to upload their files to. That will make it nice so we can all just link to the files in our posts.

Also...

I know there are some of you still working on the idler bracket programming, but I want to run some ideas by everyone on this group thing and see what you guys think.

I was thinking to start this out all official like we could start a new thread for each project. Since this was just a test project to kind of gauge everyone's abilities I was thinking we could label the threads MLG - Project 1 - Project Name Here. That way the discussion focuses on the project at hand. And anyone still working on the previous project can still post in the previous project's thread and not interfere with the current project. Does that make sense?

I think RayD is right and 2 weeks may be a good amount of time for everyone to get their project done.

Ray also suggested we put some real world limitations on each project. So lets say you have to use Mill Level 1 to complete certain projects. Or you have to program it for a certain type of machine. Things like that. I think that would be a good idea.

That is why we are here in this group. To learn.

So do you normally work from a wireframe using a DXF? If you need to put a wireframe on the part try this... Go to Create>>>Curves>>>Curve on all edges. Then, in your selection bar will be a button to "Activate solid selection". It has a green check mark over a blue cube. Click that. More buttons just to the right of it will become usable. One is "Select face" and one is "Select body". Un-highlight the "Select face" so only the "Select body" button is highlighted blue. This means when you click the model to apply curves only the entire solid body will be selected. With the select body active click the solid. The edges of the solid will highlight. Then click the "End selection" button (green circle). Click OK (the check mark in the ribbon bar).

If this is not what you are having trouble with let me know and I will do what I can to help you out.

ya im just getting started using an actual model, the places ive worked they never had the customer send a model we had to draw it from the print

the local support, as well as most here im sure, thought wow yall are back in the stone age, i never have to draw much, all customers send models these days,such a time saver

so im used to starting with nothing, been playing around with tyring to use models only here at home, found some old prints and just learning on my own, and with the forum

ya i put the wireframe like you said, it worked, but i also want to know how to use the solid as well

i was trying to do a pocket similar to yours, the first one on op one, when i chain it, it leaves a thin wall, and does not take the cutter over the edge

i looked at how you chained it but i dont understand

What I did was created curves on the edges where I wanted the endmill to cut to. I projected these curves up so I could work with them a little easier. Then, on the sides where I wanted the endmill to cut past the edge of the part I just offset them out a little past half the endmill. Then i created a morph pocket using that new geometry.

There are many ways to do this, especially with the new Dynamic toolpaths. But I am still learning them as well. This being the first part we are working on I wanted to try to program it the way I normally would before learning the HST stuff. I hope to gain a better knowledge of the various uses of these toolpaths by seeing other work here. So I really can't give you a lot of info on them and pretend I actually know what I am talking about.

yeah I can't create curves on all edges. So I have gotten around it by working with the solid and creating the containment boundry. I tried the fill hole but the opticore doesn't recognize it as the correct surface type. So to get around it i just started creating a surface.

A lot of what I'm doing is trying to recreate what you guys have submitted. As I know I'm a little green still. I like seeing the applications of the different tool paths and how the geo is selected and created. Then try to do things different on my own. something I'd like to explore more would be approx cycle times if it was a production part and machine requirements.

Ok so what is the best way to fill holes for opticore for purpose of check surface?

yeah I can't create curves on all edges. So I have gotten around it by working with the solid and creating the containment boundry. I tried the fill hole but the opticore doesn't recognize it as the correct surface type. So to get around it i just started creating a surface.

...Ok so what is the best way to fill holes for opticore for purpose of check surface?

You should be able to fill the holes with surfaces and use them as drive surfaces. Opticore does dot use check surfaces.

Face off to finish, fill holes or not, and just use steep/shallow in opticore. Set to just below the top surface for your minimum depth. This will avoid top faces of bosses, will cut chamfers and you don't need checks or drives on in holes...

Here is an easier one to try, the X6 Jazz Bass. (X6 JAZZ BASS.emcx-6 of the ftp in the Mastercam_Learning_Group Folder.)

I created a solids tutorial in a 3D pdf format for those that are new to Mastercam and modeling. Special thanks goes out to Enie and the crew at Verisurf. I believe that Acrobat 11 will be required to open this.

(X6 JAZZ BASS SOLIDS TUTORIAL.PDF)

All the geometry necessary to create the model is present. The solid is there as well with a full history for those who do not wish to make the model. Hope you have as much fun with this as I did.

The files are write protected and will require saving under a new name.

Feedback is welcome and revisions to these files will be made if required.

This part in no way reflects the dimensions required to make an accurate model of a Jazz bass and is merely intended for educational purposes only.

MotorCityMinion.

PS.

A Jazz Bass Body MCM .jpg was accidentally uploaded to the FTP folder. If a MOD would like to remove it, that would be fine. I'm good with leaving it there as well.

Note that the PDF states to open the files named X6 HST JAZZ BASS. This is incorrect, use this: X6 JAZZ BASS.emcx-6

Ignore the sections on tool pathing in the pdf. My intentions were to remove all the toolpathing tips.

post-18319-0-98477200-1368716405_thumb.jpg

Your welcome. Can we wait a few days to see if any problems arise before starting the new thread? That way, I can clean up the file if needed. Too late...

This started out from grabcad. The Model was less satisfactory, lack of tangency everywhere, too many splines as well. I recreated the scale, got rid of the splines, and made everything tangent.

This part in no way reflects the dimensions required to make an accurate model of a Jazz bass and is merely intended for educational purposes only.