Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem with X7 crashing

RObert TImby

Hello All,

Do anyone out there having a problem with Mastercam crashing? It was working great since I down loaded and installed it until today. For some reason when I start it up it starts and then crashes right away. I reinstalled it twice, checked my hasp driver for the lasted verisions and it's good. Any ideas?

Yes I Have Had That Happen. I Didn't Use Migration. Just Updated Machine Defs, Posts, Tool Libraries. It Worked Great For A Day Or Two. Then It Crash EverytIme It Opened. i unInstalled. Then Removed Registry Keys and Renamed Mcamx7 To Backup. Then I Reinstalled And It Seems To Be Working Now.

Robert, check the following place in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X7\GUI and see if you have 100's or 1000's of items for toolbar states. Looking for Maximized-Bar and Resize-Bar see if they are over 70. This has caused some crashes I have seen. When you do the uninstall and reinstall or the repair this gets wiped out and Mastercam will fire up again. If you see X7 lagging check this registry key. You can shut down Mastercam erase the key and Mastercam will rebuild the key with no problem once you fire it back up again.

Crazt Mill turn,

When I uninstalled and reinstalled it worked great for a couple of times then started again so I call my reseller. Trevor, at San Diego CADCAM told me do to just that with the config. It started with out a problem remade my toolbars and config file bam now it just crashes as so as I start it. I will check for the icons and see what is in there. Quick question can you inlighten me on where is the registry window 7?

Robert try deleting your config again and run for a day or two without customizing the config and see if this issue continues. If not, start customizing the config a small piece at a time until your experience the problem again. It might not be something in config that is causing the issue, but worth a try.

Are you receiving the crash report dialog? If so please send them in and include your email address. Also if you crash and send in the report let us know at [email protected] so we can have someone dig it up and check it out.

Also check what other apps are running at the time and check your Mastercam event log as well. We need a clue as to what the trigger is. Could be something with Virus Scan software to some other setting or something in our application. Keep working with Trevor as well as he will also keep us in the loop.

Today i had same issue. My toolbar icons randomly shuffles, mastercam stop responding (i can rotate model, zoom etc, but no new window pop up when i try to create toolpath etc.) I deleted all registry entry in GUI and restart. All works fine now. Is source of problem that i have many icons on workspace?

post-39283-0-59621600-1368526969_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Sorry I did not get back yesterday, I will do what you suggested on customizing my icons and my confg. on your questions about a crash repost, no I did not get one. The software would start but then as soon as it open it closed. The other time it would start but it would take a long and I mean a long time to start up. When it did you try to open a part file you could not rotate or do anything to the part. On the virus software I'm just running microsoft security essentials.

Thanks all for your help.

Rob

Today i had same issue. My toolbar icons randomly shuffles, mastercam stop responding (i can rotate model, zoom etc, but no new window pop up when i try to create toolpath etc.) I deleted all registry entry in GUI and restart. All works fine now. Is source of problem that i have many icons on workspace?

Smrk, do you do a lot of resizing of the Mastercam window? We are chasing something reported for a tester that was seeing their registry entries under the GUI topic grow very large as he re-sized the main Mastercam window and this was causing a slow down in the Mastercam application as well. We are still working to reproduce this in house. Seeing you are comfortable in the registry, keep an eye on this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X7\GUI This is where the states for dialogs and ribbons are stored and normally none is more then about 70 for each section. If you see this growing really large please let us know. It very well could be tied to custom toolbar states or something similar. We are still chasing it thought and trying to duplicate it.

Jim,

Sorry I did not get back yesterday, I will do what you suggested on customizing my icons and my confg. on your questions about a crash repost, no I did not get one. The software would start but then as soon as it open it closed. The other time it would start but it would take a long and I mean a long time to start up. When it did you try to open a part file you could not rotate or do anything to the part. On the virus software I'm just running microsoft security essentials.

Thanks all for your help.

Rob

Robert, Thanks for getting back to me and trying the things I mentioned. Let me know what you find. Feel free to email directly to [email protected] if it's easier for you.

Why do we go throw the same crap every revision?

Computers and software are complex. Every user's computer is a little different than anyone else's

I've been running X7 for 9 months on 3 different machines with no trouble at all.

My coworker, running a machine nearly identical to this one had a terrible time getting the X7 Technology Preview to run.

Its running well now, but it was touch and go for a while. I have no idea why he had trouble and I did not.

Our computers are virtually identical.

It's not just limited to Mastercam.

I spent 4 months battling Solid Works/Win8 conflicts on my home work station.

I finally threw in the towel and rolled back to Win 7, something I haven't done in 20 years of messing with computers.

Jim

I checked out my as per Crazy mill turn suggested and it was huge!! if this helps.

I checked that field out in my registry and GUI was about 1.5 pages.. and I'm not having any trouble.

I'm not sure how big GUI would get before it started causing trouble

as far as what to look for in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X7\GUI Registry key is if you start to see the numbers of the resize or states going above 100 and you really don't have many toolbars displayed, this may be a sign of a problem. As best we can tell right now it is tied to changing MTB files or toolbar states. Sometimes the resize or maximize/minimize will trigger the GUI key growing or changing toolbar states. It doesn't happen all the time so reproducing it can be difficult. Normally the speed degradation and crashing will occur when these keys get to 1000 range.

The only fix right now is to delete the GUI key. A problem if you spent a ton of time saving your layout. But if you customize your layout and then save it - creating a MTB file and then making it your default this might be helpful.

We are working on a solution and I will update everyone as soon as I know more. BTW, we just duplicated this in house after days of trying.

X7 Did this to me today. It was working fine. I had two instances open to copy some programming from one to another. I used the export then import features to bring the toolpaths into the new program. I had a model for soft jaws in the source program that I also wanted to copy over. As soon as I did that the destination program crashed. I restarted it and it immediately crashed right away. Did that a few more times. So then I tried to save and close the source program and it would not close. So I forced it to close and when restarting it would just immediately crash. Uninstalled then reinstalled and it seems to be working again.