Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Move Start Point on circle chain

SteveReid

Hi,

I have imported a solid model from inventor, I want to machine a contour around two circles (Cylindrical Boss) I need to change the "start point" to prevent the lead-in and lead-out crashing. The start point option is not available (greyed out) in the chaining dialog box. I have also tried un-checking the "mid-point option in the lead in/out dialog box.. I can reverse the chain which flips the lead in/out 180 degrees but changes the milling direction to "conventional".

Any help much appreciated!!

Stevo!!

Hi Steve,

Expand your toolpath in your Operations Manager and click on the geometry branch. Right Click on the chain you want to change the start point of and select 'start point' from the menu that comes up. Then click the 'move dynamic' button and position the start point where ever you wish.

HTH Brendan

sounds like you have a good handle on MC, for a newbie.

welcome to the forum.

sounds geometry related as to why the start point is grayed-out (?)

did you chain a solid or 3d element...?

not sure

I chained a Solid (an Autodesk Inventor file), I am just trying to run a finish pass around 2 cylindrical bosses in the 3-d model.

Thanks again!!

Stevo!!

Did you use the process as I've outlines in my attached picture? I have no idea why start point option would be greyed out!!!

Hi, yes when I do this the Start point is greyed out, I am using X6, could it be to do with the Inventor file, I just opened it directly into Mastercam, would i be better to import in a different format??

Thanks for your help!!

"Start point" moves the start arrow between endpoints. A circle only has one endpoint, unless it is broken.

Try using Xform Rotate, and rotate the arc about it's center point. That will let you place the start point wherever you want it.

Keep in mind that the Lead in/out options also have a feature to "start at midpoint" on closed chains. Make sure that is also disabled.

"Start point" moves the start arrow between endpoints. A circle only has one endpoint, unless it is broken.

Try using Xform Rotate, and rotate the arc about it's center point. That will let you place the start point wherever you want it.

Keep in mind that the Lead in/out options also have a feature to "start at midpoint" on closed chains. Make sure that is also disabled.

If you select the 'dynamic move' button in the start point options, you can locate the start point at any location on your chain. I wouldn't have even thought to rotate the geometry! Just another way to think about the problem! Thanks Colin

Hi Steve,

The Mcam have many different ways for resolving same problem.

In your case I can add one of them:

If you choose solid for tool path, open chain manager by clicking on Geometry brunch(pic 1),

in open window double click on Solid Chain and then right click on Loop,

the Start point option will available (pic 2).

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Michael.

post-18049-0-24240500-1369676811_thumb.png

post-18049-0-65754500-1369677249_thumb.png