Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

8 Digit File names on Fanuc 31i-A5...

Niezingerly

Good morning...

I run a Roku-Roku with a 31i-A5 control.

We also have 18i machines.

In the manual for the 18i, there is a section that states that 8 digit file names can be used, but I cannot find this same section in the 31i manual.

Is anyone out in this great big world using 8 digit file names?

Also, in the manual, it makes it sound as if it can only be used in the CNC-MEM....

Thanks very much

Guest MTB Technical Services

If you use the USB memory option you can get long file names.

While not up to the Windows 256 Character limit, it makes a significant difference.

If you set the machine up via FTP, you shouldn't have an issue but some controls index differently.

I've had the best luck using a USB NIC card instead of the integrated network connection.

If you using a DNC system then ti shouldn't be an issue at all.

The 30 series controls can use an O-Word identifier for the program or a label within the arrow characters <>.

What is your current process?

Terry, are you using the USB Memory Option?

MTB, we transfer files from the Data Server Host to the Data Server on the machine, and then run the files.

The Fanuc Data server is a seriously overpriced option.

Much easier to simply DNC via FTP but you play the cards you're dealt.

We have all our machines hooked up to our network, and we have a PC for them we post to, then the machine operators will call the programs from the PC to the machines to run. We do not use any NIC cards.

Then you're running RS-232 serial communication to the machines themselves.

If you are truly networked then you are using a network interface card, albeit the built-in one.

So, I tried your method Terry, and yes that does work, but at least on my machines ONLY if there is the 3 digit extension...

I typed in an 8 character program name, without an extension, and no go..."Abnormal End"...Sounds like every day for me...hahaha

Thanks very much for the help.

So, since THAT worked, and since I am never satisfied, who among you is using sub-folders on the Data Server?

If anyone, then how do you transfer files from the Data Server to the Sub Folder?

Or is it a direct transfer from the Data Server Host to which ever sub folder, and how...

Thanks again for all the help..

That 8 digit name thing is so &!%!@&)#&! bitchin, I can't get over it...

I could not understand why, in 2013, that names of files were limited to 4 characters...

Thanks...

So, since THAT worked, and since I am never satisfied, who among you is using sub-folders on the Data Server?

If anyone, then how do you transfer files from the Data Server to the Sub Folder?

Or is it a direct transfer from the Data Server Host to which ever sub folder, and how...

Thanks again for all the help..

That 8 digit name thing is so &!%!@&)#&! bitchin, I can't get over it...

I could not understand why, in 2013, that names of files were limited to 4 characters...

Thanks...

FIrst off, don't blame FANUC, blame your RokuRoku AE because he did not properly train you. How do I know this? Because you're having this discussion on eMastercam. Now that we have the formalities out of the way here's some real help to get you going;

In ANY FANUC 30i Series Control (30i, 31i, 32i, etc...)I have ever used, you are allowed to use up to 32 Characters regardless of how the file was imported (USB, CF, Ethernet or otherwise). If you want to continue using "O"12345678, then your format needs to be "<O12345678>".

Now, if you want to start naming your programs what they are (i.e. "<0123456789_REV_A_OP01_WIDGETXXXX>" you won't ever wonder what a program is again.

%

<0123456789_REV_A_OP01_WIDGETXXXX>(32 CHARACTER LIMIT BETWEEN THE <> )

(INSERT CODE HERE)

M30

%

To Call this as a sub, your format would be as follows;

M98<0123456789_REV_A_OP01_WIDGETXXXX>

or

M198<0123456789_REV_A_OP01_WIDGETXXXX>

Now, In the 30 Series controls, you are now able to directly access the program as if it were in NC Memory. You just change your device to Dataserver and make whatever program you want your main program. Done. No screwing around with subs.

Folders, yeah, I use them all the time, even on a Dataserver. I usually segregate by Customer, then part number, then by rev. Nice and clean.

Hope this helps your cause.

The Fanuc Data server is a seriously overpriced option.

Much easier to simply DNC via FTP but you play the cards you're dealt.

:cough:

:bs:

Just sayin' ;)

:bs:

Just sayin' ;)

FTP from networked PC: Total Cost less than $500.00 including CAT-5 cable

Fanuc Data Server: Considerably more than $500.00 :thumbdown:

Just sayin' ;)

FTP from networked PC: Total Cost less than $500.00 including CAT-5 cable

Fanuc Data Server: Considerably more than $500.00 :thumbdown:

Just sayin' ;)

Try editing that program NOT fro the PC... :rofl:

Just sayin' ;)

:D

Try editing that program NOT fro the PC... :rofl:

True, but so what?

If I need to edit a program, unless it's something extremely simple needing editing, I'm doing it on a PC anyway.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Edit a comment here, a feedrate there, it's all time and it all adds up. Time is money. That's really the point I was making. :)

The other nice thing about having a Dataserver is Programming can push programs to individual machines. Granted not every shop has a programming department but it's still nice to just drag and drop programs. I've always likes the convenience of having a Dataserver, especialy since the 30i Series Controls came out. It's just like 1GB of CNC Memory. That's helpful.

Edit a comment here, a feedrate there, it's all time and it all adds up. Time is money. That's really the point I was making. :)

The other nice thing about having a Dataserver is Programming can push programs to individual machines. Granted not every shop has a programming department but it's still nice to just drag and drop programs. I've always likes the convenience of having a Dataserver, especialy since the 30i Series Controls came out. It's just like 1GB of CNC Memory. That's helpful.

Good point.

Most of my customers are beating up the Machine Sales guys on price all the time so the Data Server is usually the first "wish list" item to go.

Very nice James.

I knew I had seen that character naming somewhere, but I had no nothing to go on.

I was not neccesarily bashing Fanuc. Well, I was, but only to the degree of my not knowing. I have what I have been exposed to, the way "its always been done" around here, but I know there had to be something better, something clearer, in terms of naming.

One more thing, concerning folders.

When I transfer files from the Data Server Host to the machine Data Server, how do I point the file to go into a specific sub folder, other than the Root folder?

Do I send them to the Data Server and then move them, or do I use somethign like in the Fanuc Manual, shown as "Selecting a default folder", to tell it "where" to put the files?

I understand "the way we have always done it" around here, of transferring a file from the Data Server to CNC-MEM, but I was unable to figure out how to send a file to a specific folder...

Thanks.

Most of my customers are beating up the Machine Sales guys on price all the time so the Data Server is usually the first "wish list" item to go.

I hate that. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see a customer get over charged but they seem to think MTD's are making gobs of money on every deal and it's just not true. When somebody squeezes all the profit out of a sale, something WILL suffer. Service, Support, Applications, etc... Companies just cannot give stuff away... and expect to survive.

[soapbox]

On a personal note, when I deal with sales folks, I don't beat 'em up but I don't pay retail either. I don't want to squeeze all the profit out of it because I tend to do business with the same companies over and over and over. I'll pay a little more for great service and support. If the company I'm doing business with is healthy, then it will be a long term relationship. That's how I do business anyway.

[/soapbox]

Sometimes you'll need to set the case to lower (ABC/abc I think is how it looks), then press the shift button and then press the [ or ].

If that doesn't work, you may just need to red it in tht way.

Another possibility is when you're in folder view where you set the active program, type what you want your program to be then press the New Program bsoftkey. I'm not in front of a control so I'm just going from memory.

• 1 year later...

Guys,

We have a Mori and a Mazak... the last is using the 8 digits format and the first only 4.

I´d like to standardize Fanuc headers... But if I create a file with more than 4 digits, the 31iA5 returns that the value is out of range...

Is there any parameter I have to change to enable this in the control?

We have the dataserver option and the mechine is using FTP protocol to transfer files...