Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roll die or 5 axis toolpath

HEAVY METAL

most any of them, probably I would use a combo of 5 axis curve to rough and parallel to multiple curves for finish. just gotta play a little until you get path you like. Morph between curves is a fail safe path. just trim the surfaces so you only what needs cutting. I never use the rotary path. Morph does a much better job. Use the spiral setting in any of them to get smooth rotary motion

edit: BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS WITH ROLLDIE axis substitution ON THIS PART.

i did a batch of similar parts a few years ago. if you toolpath more than 90° of an arc there is every likelihood verify will be great, but the code will be complete junk from my experience with X4.

so unless they fixed it since, you will need to break arcs/flat patterns into small segments to keep MC from getting all discombobulated on which way to spin.

break-up entities and it will be flawless.

Edited by mkd

a little hint, create a surface shown in red. create an edge curve along each side. use morph between curves and select each edge curve as the 2 chains. use only the center surface as drive. using a ball mill that matches the part fillets you will get a beauty of a toolpath. select roughing and add depth cuts to rough it out. Agian, dont use to many surfs at once, MC gets confused

post-461-0-97394200-1371581479_thumb.jpg

why is rolldie still hanging out as a chook? It's always been as all most menu type tool path. old school for sure, I can remember using it way back in the DOS days but with the multi axis paths why bother with it? If your improving it why not put it in the menu

my mistake on my first post here. the probelm i ran in to was with axis substitution with pocketing and contours, NOT rolldie.
check out level 3 and 9 for how i had to break-up entities (MCx4) as to not confuse MC with rotation direction.