Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to Heidenhain.

I just started a new job that uses MIKRON HSM 400U LP Machining centers. Cool machines BTW. It has a Heidenhain iTNC 530 control. This control might as well be set-up in Arabic as there are very few similarities to a Fanuc. The Heidenhain website is hideous to navigate. What I'm looking for is forums, websites, videos, tips & tricks info, anything in English to get me going with the control and probing. ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, MCM.

I just started a new job that uses MIKRON HSM 400U LP Machining centers. Cool machines BTW. It has a Heidenhain iTNC 530 control. This control might as well be set-up in Arabic as there are very few similarities to a Fanuc. The Heidenhain website is hideous to navigate. What I'm looking for is forums, websites, videos, tips & tricks info, anything in English to get me going with the control and probing. ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, MCM.

Hi MCM,

From my experience, the Heidenhein manual that comes with that control is fairly comprehensive with lots of good info. Do you have access to that?

That's what I run.

There is no D or H value just the Tool #. Scary but easy editing of tool #'s.

You dump the program 123456789101112.H into the controller via (TNC Remote Software)

And then call it up in the Control "Run Full Seq."

If your lasering in your tools that's another page, if your running pallets that's the program you call when editing

It to run your .H program with each pallet.

If your....

If your...

If you....

Accept when...

I'm here, let me know what you need, use it every day...

Tony

Get the manual & write in your notes. I went from Okuma & Fanuc to a tnc530 pretty quick. Back with Okuma's now though. But if you can machine a part on a CNC picking up a new control, like a 530 isn't hard. They all have their pluses & minuses. It seemed to me the 530 program was a lot of sub calls. I really liked the tool def page. And the drill cycles were a little weird, but you'll get used to them. Also if you make edits to your program you still have to activate it into auto run (this got me often). HSM400u LP - is that a 5axiis? I ran a HSM600 *** very cool machine.

In the control itself is the manual in different languages,(dutch,english,arbic) etc.....

We have 2 hsm400u-lp 5x with 308 tools,2 mikron 600 with 220 tools,2 mikron 600 with 170 tools

8 mikron 800 3x with 60 tools, 2 400u-lp 3x with 308 tools..

think mikron 600 and 800 machine are great machine, still holding out judgement on the 400's

only had them for a few months... :-)

Ron

p.s. all probing in our machine is done manual at machine, the control itself has function for the different probing...

Ron, thanks for the tip. I found the manuals in the control and uploaded them. All our probing cycles are written into the program. This is really my first experience with probes and all I can say is WOW.

It's a 5 axis and bada$$ at what it does. No real balls and we can't really rough with it. Hard milling at 40k, sweet. Still looking for forums and videos. Keep the tips coming!

Tony, thanks for the offer.

Thanks for your time, MCM.

Glad i could help, yeah machine has no balls..lol and you'll find that you can't tap with anything over 1/4-20 tap, if you need to make thread over 1/4-20 i would suggest thread milling.. or do it on another machine with some guts... also cause the machine has no ball need to think small and fast cutting..

for example 12mm dia. 2 flute end mill to cut profile of part, cut no more than half the dia. of the end mill material to come off, if you have say .250 worth of material do a multipass on contour, and ramp contour .125 depth of cut 42k sindle speed, at 525.0 feed... chip will fly off.. :-) (material is Alum.)

but we have cut 303 and 304 ss. with the machine and it does do a good job.. it a matter of getting right depth and width of cuts

We use seco end mills, love them they cut very well, but salty in price..

if there is anything programming the machine you need, just ask I'll be happy to help if i can..

you can also check out our company web page at metlfab.com to see all the mikron we have.. :-)

as for a forum,video, or web page for help,hint or tips i knew of none at this point, we learn by trail and error.. lol

Ron

Ron is the way to go

I run a VCE 1000 and an HSM 300 Graphite master both tied to Pallet systems.

The 3 axis VCE 1000 loads pallets with Full size Kurt Vices and the HSM loads 50 Erowa EDM Holders.

Like all of us were not even scratching the surface of what this Controller can do.

We just use it for our daily application and that's it,

A rep at the IMTS said that's what everyone does ;)

Hi MCM,

you are right with your comment on the heidenhain website. Sometimes i cant believe they

develop and sell easy to use machine controls.

You can download manuals of conversational programming, cycle programming (with touch-probe),

din/iso prgramming and smarT.NC. The available files depend on the software-Version. U should figure

out the software versions from the hsm 400u.

Also you can download a training manual but its only a german version. Maybe it is still helpful, because

in there are drafts and the correct nc-codes (only with short german explanation)

U find that all over the left menu "product and applications" +controlling machine tools +itnc530, then

on the right side "+manuals, then in the middle +tncguide, then your language, then on the left side

+tnc controls, then +tnc 500 series and now the right software-version and you are there.

The navigation on there is a litle bit like programming in mastercam %29.gif

Did you know you can download a PC-demo-software of the "programming-station". (it is only limited

to 100 lines of NC-code)

On the german website www.heidenhain.de you can find some example NC-programs for specific task.

Its under (left menu) "Dokumentation und Information" +Dokumentation then in the middle the last

item: "NC-Datenbank". Now u have 10 chapters on the left side. When u click a chapter and then

click the task in the middle, it shows the graphics and u can download a draft (pdf) and the

heidenhain NC-code. Maybe its helpful.

Have fun with the mikrons and your new job.

1) Often times when trying to do new things on the TNC controls its easy to want to overcomplicating things. Your thinking the control needs a lot of information, but all it really wants usually only take a single keystroke. Once you get used to it the control is very powerful and very easy to use.

2) Mikron's are awesome machines. Easy to get spoiled with the speed & accuracy they have. Take the time to learn the machine and how it wants you to run it, and you will probably fall in love with it.

3) If you have the 42K spindle remember you don't hit full torque on the torque curve until 7K, program accordingly. We have had a VCP600 with 42K spindle for well over 10 years and Dynamic milling has completely transformed the ways in which we can use this machine.

4) The manuals are awesome. Download the PDF version. Then you can hit "control+F" and search for stuff a lot easier. There are "codes" listed right in the area where the topics are being dicussed that open up more options on the control. They will tell you everything you need to know in the book for the most part, they just want to make sure your willing to look for it.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions, be glad to help.

Good info guys. I grabbed a few of the manuals off their website. I need to get to the manuals at Mikron as some of the keys are located in different spots on the control. Hardest part is trying to decipher what it's asking me to do. It'll come though.

Dwain, I just may take you up on that offer. They don't do adaptive clearing / dynamic milling here and I want to demo that for them successfully. I'll get some data from you when the time comes.

Thanks guys, keep em' coming.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to piggy-back this topic. I am also new to Mikron HSM 600 machines with Heidenhain ITNC530 controls.

We have 2 here, need to connect machines to our network.

I see they have ehthernet connections, I searched the Heidenhain site as well as the Agie site.

I can find the serial connections on the control but I can't find the ethernet connections on the control.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance......

Depending on the year of your machine your network connection to receive your cat5 will be on the electronics cabinet or underneath the screen at the control.

http://www.heidenhai...ware/downloads/

download: TNCremo v2.8

Setup your static IP address in the machine control along with subnet mask and other network info.

install TNCremo on your PC, Configure your machine setup in TNCremo to match and you'll be in business.

Dwain thanks for response. We will be connecting our machines to the network then we will be using Cimco DNC for file transfer.

We have done this in the past with other machines that have a ethernet connection.

I may have not asked my question correctly....I can find the ethernet physical connection on the back of the control, what I can't do

is navigate the control and find where to set my static ip address, subnet mask....etc...etc....

Would you know how to navigate control?

I can find the serial connections page but not the ethernet page.

thanks again....

I've been meaning to get back to this post. Radial chip thinning and the Mikrons get along fine. We purchased the HSMAdvisor, set up our HP and torque specs, and successfully launched a new strategy for roughing and semi-finishing small parts on these machines.These machines are Ballerinas and excel 2360 IPM back feedrates / high feed, Granted if I need to take big chunks off, another machine gets the task. I've yet to get into setting up the machine or the day to day applications with the controls, as other chores are leading me down a different path but the tips in this thread are getting read. Thanks for the input.

It might be some network settings else where. Those are the only two things to input at the machine. Make sure you don't have two machines/pc's with the same ip or some setting elsewhere on your network permissions tripping you up. Can you successfully ping anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Fanuc, Haas, Hurco,Okuma and Yasnac and it does not get any easier or user friendly than a Heidenhain. For the first 2 days I hated it, but after I learned the control and how powerful it is I loved it. The only gripe I have on the control is the override knob controls the feedrate and rapid at the same time. There is no separate override for the rapid. The manuals are available on the website for download.

• 2 months later...
In "define net", the only fields available to fill in were ip address and subnet mask.

I filled in the correct info and verified that my network connection is good.

But when I go to ping the machine it comes back with host unreachable.

Would anyone know why this is?

To add closure to my question.......The TNC 530 control needs to be rebooted for changes to take effect.

After reboot I was able to ping the machine.