Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Invalid tool

Greg_J

Hello,

I have this error when I threadmill with a custom drawn tool.

"Operation #102 has an invalid tool (IF the contour (the cutting part definition) is not closed, and the first Y value is not equal to 0 and the last Y value is not equal to 0, than the contour should not intersect itself.)

The file I reference the tool to worked with x5 and x6.

At first I realized that the file it's referencing to was an x6 and I updated it. I tried to close the contour on of the tool profile that didn't work either.

Also the Mastercam Simulator cam up but the screen was black and it had an error listed on the screen.

"OpenGL paint error!

System overflow exception: value was either too large or too small for a decimal."

Then it listed 4 or 5 files.

at ModuleWorks. OpenGl OglViewer.Draw Axex (Boolean use Picking)

Any ideas?

I'm going to try to put the tool profile on a different level on my part file instead of referencing to another file.

TIA,

Greg

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Still a common "custom" tool problem. Not an easy or even the same solution every time.

-Regen the toolpath

-re-pick the custom tool geometry and regen.

-adjust fields in "define tool page", especially flute and shoulder lenght and a tip angle (I makes a difference!)

-I'm not sure if it's been fixed already, but the "direction" of the chain that defines the custom tool is critical (it had to be consistent)..

...there is more things I have to jump thru to make it work...but the ones above are a good start...yeah, I know (

hth

Is CNCsoftware aware of this problem? It sounds like everyone is having the same issue, me included. I do not see a solution offered up yet.

I cannot accurately verify my lolli-pop toolpath. I have been getting by with just analyzing the stock model for the time being since that can accurately understand the tool. It wasn't a problem until a couple days ago when a large part was scrapped because I could not watch the verify... not cool. The tool is a simple lolli-pop tool with every parameter set correctly for flute length/shoulder length/shoulder dia...

I have not found anything about the new verify that is even somewhat comparable to verify in X6. On top of this the quality of the verify image seems worse than X6.

I really need to get these issues figured out ASAP. I am hoping everything is a parameter adjustment that needs to be set-up correctly.

Thanks,

Lans

Is CNCsoftware aware of this problem? It sounds like everyone is having the same issue, me included. I do not see a solution offered up yet.

I cannot accurately verify my lolli-pop toolpath. I have been getting by with just analyzing the stock model for the time being since that can accurately understand the tool. It wasn't a problem until a couple days ago when a large part was scrapped because I could not watch the verify... not cool. The tool is a simple lolli-pop tool with every parameter set correctly for flute length/shoulder length/shoulder dia...

I have not found anything about the new verify that is even somewhat comparable to verify in X6. On top of this the quality of the verify image seems worse than X6.

I really need to get these issues figured out ASAP. I am hoping everything is a parameter adjustment that needs to be set-up correctly.

Thanks,

Lans

I use lollipops in almost all my programs and they do verify very well now.

More details? error messages? Screen shot of tool page might help...

I know for one thing is that a lollipop created in the new tool manager will not drive an undercut (closed angle) surface correctly. Even after unchecking flowline motion for gouge, check gap motion for gouge and check retract motion for gouge. It seems like the lollipop is being treated just like a ballnose. After creating the lollipop tool in the tool manager I have to edit the tool by changing the tool type to something else and then change it back to a lollipop to get it to work correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Been threadmilling for years and any time I've had trouble, my geometry was at fault. Not saying that's the case here. So, how about attaching the tool and geometry to a post so we (and CNC presumably) can get a look.

Been threadmilling for years and any time I've had trouble, my geometry was at fault. Not saying that's the case here. So, how about attaching the tool and geometry to a post so we (and CNC presumably) can get a look.

Check this thread. http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=77370&st=0

Richard and I have been looking at this. No word back yet