Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Solids: Face-to-Face Fillets following an Angled Cylinder

richbass

I am trying to reverse engineer a part that has 4 complex fillets. I need to create 4 fillets in this solid model that follow the exact profile and angle of these 4 cylinders shown in the photo. Is there any way to do this? I am running Verisurf/Mastercam X4.

Thanks

post-16985-0-88969500-1372192039_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to do this? Mastercam has a feature in Solids-Fillets that does "propagate along tangencies", which sounds like it should do what I want, but I can't figure out how to make it work. I have also tried working with surfaces and trimming them, and the function is not working for me.

I'm looking at it now. Did you draw the fillets in the corners? They are all protruding out past the boundary surfaces. (i.e. your tangencies are not correct) Are you wanting it tangent? (smooth)

also, are you wanting a fillet in each vertical(ish) corner, and along the bottom? (4 fillets, or 8 fillets)

i can tell you this is definitely possible, it's just a question of how you go about it. sometimes when dealing with complex fillets in surfaces, i will skip the "fillet" function and draw my own geometry, then sweep a surface path as needed.

It was reverse engineered from an existing tool using a Faro Arm and Verisurf/Mastercam X4. The final part should look like the photo I've attached here, with a constant radius fillet, but it should have the same angle of its fillet as the 4 cylinders in the file I attached. When I do a Solid-Fillet using the same diameter value as what I captured from the Faro Arm, the angle of the fillet is incorrect, as the actual part fillet bulges out somewhat at the bottom of each fillet, as can be seen on the first photo I attached in my first posting. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to reverse engineer a part that has 4 complex fillets. I need to create 4 fillets in this solid model that follow the exact profile and angle of these 4 cylinders shown in the photo. Is there any way to do this? I am running Verisurf/Mastercam X4.

Thanks

If the walls of your model are wrong and need the cylinders to drive them the attached file is how I would do it.

If the walls need to remain as they are but need a corner fillet that shares the same center line or outer profile as the cylinders, well that is a different method.

MASTERCAM SOLID FILLET PROBLEM_PMDC.MCX