Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Just trying to close a file

Bobnob

Hello to everyone. I'm new to X6 in that I haven't touched Mastercam since v9, but have been using CAD for a while and have used many packages over the years. That said, I've never had so many problems doing the simplest things. Having worked for a software reseller, I am very hip to the fact that software companies aren't necessarily interested in fixing everything that's wrong with a particular version or release. But X6 is about as fun to deal with as wiping your rear with sandpaper.

Even the simplest of operations, saving, never goes right every time, and i find this totally unacceptable. I'm currently using x6 mu3. The biggest issue for me is data loss during saving.

Lets say I have file A open, and want to open file B. File A was just saved, but it prompts me to save again before opening file B. If I click yes, sometimes (not predictably) it saves file B as file A. So when I reopen file A, it really contains everything from file B. If I click no, it will do the same thing. Again, i cannot reproduce this on demand as software companies would typically require to investigate.

If I have file A open, and want to create a new file, it does the same thing, but not predictably. I choose to save file A, when prompted, before creating a new empty file. File A will then sometimes be completely empty as if I saved the blank file over file A. Again I cannot predict when it will do this.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Without auto backups, I'd have been totally screwed and looked like an idiot to my boss. I'll own a problem if it's my fault, but this isn't one of 'em.

Frustrated,

Bobnob

I appreciate the responses, but I'm more after corroboration that this IS in fact a Mastercam issue. I have not closed the door on other suspects, such as our network, which was switched over to active directory within the last 6 months. That said, I have no issues saving files outside of Mastercam...CAD models, spreadsheets, etc.

Bobnob

I appreciate the responses, but I'm more after corroboration that this IS in fact a Mastercam issue. I have not closed the door on other suspects, such as our network, which was switched over to active directory within the last 6 months. That said, I have no issues saving files outside of Mastercam...CAD models, spreadsheets, etc.

Bobnob

Hi Bobnob and welcome to the forum.

I am running the same version as you, and I have not had this experience. Never had trouble saving/overwriting files. Typically I will open a file after saving my current file. If it asks if I want to save, and I choose yes, it prompts me for where and what filename to save to so wouldn't it be my fault if a file got overwritten? I know a lot of people had a lot of issues with the early release of MCX-6. I didn't jump on x6 til MU3 was released and I am generally happy with it. Hope you can get your problems cleared up soon!

This has been a semi-regular issue with me. I don't remember having that problem in X5, and don't think its happened in X7.

It's exacerbated in X6 when saving to a network, but not limited to.

At first I thought I was just mental. I'm AN-AL about saving, but maybe I forgot to save this time ? (again ?!). But when I finally saw one day, that I had a saved file of posted GCode, including ops that were 'missing' when I reopened the Mcx file back up, I knew.

Just today, exactly what you spoke of happened.To make sure files are not overwritten from an 'errant' close, I will always do a SAVE, then a SAVEAS, before closing a file. But when I went to close the file, it STILL asked me if I wanted to save my changes. I of course said yes. When I opened the file back up, I could see ops were missing. :/

I've also had this problem with a couple of other CAD Apps, on different PC's

I don't use the 'autobackup' function, I save off duplicates, (Using MasterCam's function), and have it set to 100 files. but when it doesn't save the original, it doesn't save the backup.

In fairness, I'll say no one else in our Engineering Dept has this problem.

So they don't think I'm mental, just reckless :/

• 8 years later...

I know this thread is old, but the title of the post, "Just trying to close a file", is what brought me here. That's exactly want I want to do, just close a file without closing out of MasterCam, but from what I can see, there is no way to do that? Am I missing it? Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!