Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trimming

Guess_who

I would just like to complain for a minute. But can anyone explain why when you choose "trim", MasterCam defaults to solid edges instead of 2d geometry.

when I go to trim 2d geometry and there is a solid under it, MasterCam will always choose the solid edge line first.

Is it just me that sees this as annoying and useless?

I know, "just turn off the solid geometry level", well that all find and dandy when you have a simple solid. But when you have a very complex solid, it takes a while to turn it on and off. And when you have to do it 100 times, those seconds add up.

Where is the option to say "ignore" solid edges. And BTW - masking only 2d geometry doesn't work.

In my screen shot, here is an example of what I'm talking about. If you try to trim the dark blue line, to the green line, MasterCam will choose the solid edge of the light blue pocket.

If anyone has some config settings or something, I'd love to try it.

OK, I'm done complain.

thanks for listening.

post-1192-0-76414800-1372279948_thumb.jpg

alt-s also works if you have geometry over surfaces. with the surfaces shaded it always

wants to grab the surface not the line or arc. i put the unshading icon on my tool bar

just so i don't have to touch the keyboard.

HTH Ken,

Great I'll try to get into the habit of Alt-S.

BTW - doesn't the default seem backwards? I might actually want to trim to a solid edge once in a blue moon, but not very often. Maybe I am just used to doing things the old fashion way and I need to modify how I use my solid edges. I've tried using solid edges for chaining, but it's just more of a hassle than it's worth IMO.

Have you tried using the Quick Mask buttons? If you right-click on the Wireframe quick mask button, it will put you into the "only" selection mode for wireframe. The trimming will then only work on the wireframe. This is how I get around this issue...

Thanks Colin, but that doesn't seem to work for solid edges when you're trimming. IDK why. But thanks for the tip about the quick masking. I never really used them, but that seems like a handy feature.

Thanks Colin, but that doesn't seem to work for solid edges when you're trimming. IDK why. But thanks for the tip about the quick masking. I never really used them, but that seems like a handy feature.

Are you certian you are using it correctly?

Works for me when trimming (or doing anything else...)

Are you certian you are using it correctly?

Works for me when trimming (or doing anything else...)

Well whenever I have said I'm sure about something, someone else has proved me wrong. But, as far as I know, yes, I am using it correctly.

Pretty simple actually, click "mask only", then choose just points. Pick trim, and hover over your solid. You will be able to pick any solid edge of the part, whether its a line or arc or whatever.

I will agree that masking works with most functions, but Masking + trimming, just doesn't work with solids edges.

The arrow points to the quick mask for wireframe.

RIGHT click on it.

Then you will ONLY be allowed to select wireframe.

Do you have that toolbar?

Yes, I use it. And it works for most things. Just not when using the trimming function. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the reply.