Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

rapid retract in drill cycle

nickwitter

Hello All,

I am looking to find a solution to a problem I have. My company machines plastics. When using the standard peck drill cycle I have trouble holding vacuum on our vacuum tables when the drill rapids out of a lengthy hole. I would like to figure out how to feed out of the holes rather than rapid out. The catch is that I would still like to have the peck increments as well, making it possible to step down into the material. Any suggestions?

Nick

Well, turning off the drill cycles in the control def worked... but "convert rapid to max feed" did not...

I tried on my machine def and the mpfan....

This has got to be my biggest gripe with the whole MD, CD thing.... you simply don't know what will change things and what wont.... If a switch in the MD or CD will not affect output, then that option should be greyed out.....

If a switch in the MD or CD will not affect output, then that option should be greyed out.....

All of the switches will do what they are intended for, IF (and that's a big if) the post uses the available information. If you really want to have all of the available features utilized, you will be doing some custom post work.

All of the switches will do what they are intended for, IF (and that's a big if) the post uses the available information. If you really want to have all of the available features utilized, you will be doing some custom post work.

Yes, and during the pre-read routine the the MD & CD fields should be greyed out if they will not affect output. The pre-read routine already affects some stuff in the CD, so how hard could it be? (Legit question, I have no idea...)

The proper solution for the original post would be a custom drill cycle. Trying to tweak a CD to change a standard function could adversely affect other areas.

I have some code that does exactly what was requested, for FANUC type machines. I can post if needed.

The question is how would I go about creating custom drill cycle in mastercam that would feed in/peck, and feed out?

I program in mastercam but am unfamiliar with custom drill cycles. To my understanding, all of the custom cycle options have a feed in rapid out. (blue arrow down, yellow up).

Custom cycles are not canned. They are output as code, line by line. In a custom peck cycle, you will see a line of code for each peck, retract, and reposition for the next peck. They can all be G1 moves, at different feedrates, if desired. The nice thing about custom cycles is that you can tailor the output to suit your situation.

In the parameters for your drill program, where you pull down the list of cycles, you will see 'Custom Cycle' options below peck, etc. When one of these is selected, then the corresponding custom area in the post is used for output. This area of the post does not exist until someone writes exactly what needs to be output. Hence, the term 'Custom'.

On the MasterCam side, you program as you would any other drill cycle. But you select Custom (Peck) on your pulldown. (Or whatever you choose to name it)

When using the standard peck drill cycle I have trouble holding vacuum on our vacuum tables when the drill rapids out of a lengthy hole.

If it ONLY does that with deep holes, you could lessen the peck amount. It's possible that your drill flutes are getting packed with too much material.

Also check to be sure that you are using the peck cycle and not the chip breaker cycle.

Micro some plastics will shrink when holes are drilled into them no matter much pecking you do to the hole. A simple change the MD/CD would be my start. Then if that does not work then we can help you build a custom drilling cycle. If you do a search of this forum many people have tons of topics explaining how to do this step by step. I have complete probing cycles and tons of other logic I have shared over the years. This forum has tones of knowledge in it. Search yields years upon years of experience just not found anywhere else on the web.

For this problem, I might try boring cycle and tapping cycle first.just add Q value and see if they work. If u use Mazak machine, u could double the feed out. If they don't work, use long hand instead of canned cycle is another option. Besides, customer macro programs are always my favorite.

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, R-E said:

Hi! Any solution on this drilling issue? I'm alsow working in plastic and vacuum and would like the drills to retract in the same speed as when drilling. Rapid retract sometimes lifts the material from the vacuum-table.

Yes use the long code process and use a switch in the post to only feed and not rapid for the drilling cycles.