Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Upgrading to X7

Jim at Gentex

All,

This is a general question concerning upgrading to X7, which my employer has not yet done.

The main reason we have not yet upgraded is because we are still in the process of upgrading our entire system from XP to the Windows 7 platform.

I have been reading here that there have been some issues with X7, and I see that at least some of them have been addressed with the 2 service pack releases.

I am also aware that there were issues with Windows 7 as well.

My question is this.

When we do make the transition to Windows 7 in a few months, would it make sense for me to just do a fresh install of X7 w/ service pack 2 and take it from there, or would I be better off skipping Windows 7 altogether and asking for an upgrade straight to Windows 8 at this point?

I will more than likely be getting a new workstation as well, so I want to let the IT department know what my needs will be.

I was wondering if anyone is running X7 on Windows 8, and if it would be better, worse, or about the same.

Any feedback here would be appreciated. :cheers:

I tried Win8 for about 6 months on my home work station.

Mastercam ran fine, but there were a myriad of minor issues with other software

that drove me mad.

SolidWorks installs became a major ordeal and I finally lost patience with it, formatted my hard drive

and went back to Win7

make sure you get lots and lots of ram.

I have 20 gig and it still lags bad

X6 screams in compare to 7

that depends on what you're doing.

Launch times for verify are very poor in X7

Hopefully the next patch or MU will address that

Tool path regen is much fast in most cases.

For example, the 2D high speed toolpaths now support multithreading

I'm working on a part Ø120" with several hundred shallow pockets.

I use a 2D high speed area toolpath on them.

X7 regen times are 25% of what they were in X6

I am with Gcode, Go with Win 7 I would not go back to XP if they paid me.Win 8 is not bad but not a real fan have it on a few boxs here but mostly Win 7.

As for the other thoughts Gcode has I agree wish that verify started a little faster but I am liking it. I do find it to process allot faster in allot of my paths.

I would go with the fresh install agreed.

X7 verify launches slowly, but once it's up, it's very fast. Then the problem is the resolution of the results.

I'm doing a part for the Navy that is the size of a small garage.

In X6 I was totally blind. Verify simply wouldn't run, ran so slow it was useless or locked up and crashed.

X7 can run the entire program with ease, as fast or as slow as I desire, but the resolution is pretty coarse.

Its better than what I had with X6 but there is lots of room for improvement

Thanks for all of the good input, guys.

This has been helpful.

I was thinking that our IT department will have its hands full just doing the corporate-wide Windows upgrade from XP to 7.

So asking them to throw Windows 8 into the mix is likely asking for more headaches, so if we can avoid that issue we will.

The consensus here seems to be that sticking with Windows 7 and doing a fresh install of X7 w/SP2 is the way to go.

If the IT guys upgrade my hardware as well, I will ask them to max it out as much as possible with RAM and graphics because I probably won't be seeing another hardware upgrade for a while after that. ;)

Make sure they install Win7x64 on your machine..Win7x32 has the same ram restrictions x32 OS's have always had .

So it's Win7X64, max out the motherboards ram capacity and a Quadro 4000K video card and a 250gig SSD and you're good to go