Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 peel mill

shazam/TPP

has anyone used it? my opinion is the X6 version is better. X7 treats it like a closed "contour" cleaning the corners out at the end. i have a slot i'm roughing out and am using a single line .030 stepover, .050 min toolpath rad. extended entry and exit are off, and the tool starts quite a distance away from the part and ends by cleaning the corners out when i don't need that. X6 works great with the same geometry, basically milling circles at a .030 stepover and none of the corner cleanout, and start and end are closer to the part. when i post the codes with the same arc filter X7 is 3x as long! any thoughts? maybe an option for a "closed/open" slot?

edit: i realize this is part of the what's new features but.....

I don't know about the code length issue. I have machined closed profiles (Open pockets) with Peel mill in X4 successfully by saving the backplot as geometry, analyzing the geometry, then making adjustments as to stay off the wall at the end of the open pocket. Worked fine until I learned how to use Dynamic. For slots, peel mill is still my choice. Select the 2 chains and done.

Actually that is one thing that drove me nuts in X6, was the tool will have broken through the channel in the center, but not at the edges, and still be making a full sweep pass. Therefore it would be cutting mostly air while all it needed was the corners.. Now in X7 when the center of the slot is clear, it just nibbles out the corners. Analyze it closely and when it's cutting and when it's not, and you'll see X7 is better. Unless I am misunderstanding the question.

You may have some combination of stepover, rounding rad, slot width, and tool diameter that is giving you less than optimal results.

I have noticed x7 filter makes several tangent arcs, when in x6 it seemed to make just one arc, which will = more code. Haven't looked deeper into it.

I am seeing the same thing shazaam, If i use all the same settings (step over, feedrates, etc) x7 takes twice as long as X6.

Maybe it handles the last little bit of material, before the break out better. but the overall time in the machine is 2x as long.

I am seeing the same thing shazaam, If i use all the same settings (step over, feedrates, etc) x7 takes twice as long as X6.

Maybe it handles the last little bit of material, before the break out better. but the overall time in the machine is 2x as long.

Dont we know you ??

PEACE :D