Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MP201 - MT_Lathe Post Processing

Colin Gilchrist

Hello Everyone,

I'm teaching a new class on Post Processing for MT_Lathe posts through www.eapprentice.net. This class will walk you through the entire process of creating a 4X MT_Lathe post processor.

In this class we will be taking the Generic Fanuc 4X MT_Lathe post and configuring it to run a Mori Seiki NL 2500 machine. This class does not cover the new MT product, which uses MP.NET for the posting language. It is designed to cover the current MP-based post processor.

In addition to Post code and configuration, we'll also be covering how to setup and run the Lathe product in conjunction with your post.

For more information about what is covered in this course, please use the link below.

http://www.eapprenti...ercam_pp_lathe/

Thanks and best regards,

Colin Gilchrist

• Like 1

This class covers much more than just making post processor changes. We will cover job and stock setup, lathe tool definitions, how to choose the proper Toolpath for a given situation, axis combinations, and much more. This class will help fill in the blanks for anyone using Mastercam Lathe. The focus will be on C-Axis lathes with Live mill tools, including Y axis. We will also be covering the Pickoff/Barpull/Cutoff utility, also known as POCO operations.

Since this is an intermediate class, we'll jump right into making post edits, so some prior post editing and MT Lathe experience is helpful. Also, the subject of the class is the current "MP-based" 4X Lathe posts, so you can take advantage of the skills you will learn right away. Feel free to ask any questions about the class if you are curious.

Hi Josh,

Yes, it is 12 Saturdays in a row. Don't worry if you can't make every session. We record each one and post it to the Website, so you can always go back and review them later if you miss one. It is also nice because you can review the videos months or years down the road when you need too.

In addition to the Saturday classes, we host a one hour meeting on Wednesday nights to go over questions about the class or posts in general.

Thanks,

Colin

Awesome MSL, I'm glad you liked the MP101 course. The MP201 course will be much more in-depth, as we'll be focusing entirely on making post modifications. MP101 is a great course, but we spend a lot of time talking about the fundamentals of the MP language. Now that the fundamentals are out of the way, we'll get to focus on the challenging stuff.

For anyone that is considering this course, it is currently about 1/3rd full. I've got 8 students signed up, out of a maximum of 25...

Thanks,

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

looks like the previous mill course is available "on demand" 9/19.

since i can't necessarily commit to every Saturday, definitely looking forward to this one hitting On-Demand.

would this post you're covering be able to do b axis indexing?

4axis not, 5 axis....

Hi MKD,

Yes, this class covers 4 Axis Lathe posts, not 5X, so no B-Axis. The On-Demand course for MP101 is coming out soon, so that will be available.

For anyone that might be on the fence about signing up because of the Satuday class time, I wanted to mention that attendance is not mandatory. We record every class session and post an edited video on the website, so even if you miss a class you can still go back and view the video. One of the great things about having the videos is that they are reference material that you get access to forever.

We will probably only offer the intermediate and advanced courses as "live" classes. With a class like MP101 that covers the fundamentals, it's easy to create lessons and make a self-guided course. With the advanced functions it is much better to be able to ask questions interactively.

Thanks,

Colin

Thanks Gizmo, I try to make sure I provide as much value as possible for each class. The next class I'm planning after MP201 (4X MT_Lathe) is going to be on 5 Axis posts. I'll be covering how to setup for different 5 axis rotary types, and make modifications like adding TCPC and proper 5X cutter compensation support. There are so many great functions that are built into the Generic 5 axis posts, but many users have no idea the options exist, or don't know how to use them.