Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

i found a way to fix every problem in X7

oneyankfan1

There is plenty of room for improvement, but this is a much needed upgrade.

I build a series of big 5axis vanes up to Ø70" dia.

I used to pretty much run blind because the old verify had no hope of running even a partial set of toolpaths.

Now I can run a whole program all the way through with no issues.

The resolution could be better and it would be very nice if my settings would stick, but it's way better than being blind.

and I'm sure future releases will address these issues

Yes but how long does it take to accurate zoom everything with a part of 70" in diameter (FOREVER!!!) and the resolution does suck, and the settings not sticking suck, and on and on and on. Im assuming you use Vericut. Because I feel bad for those out there who have nothing but the "flimulator" to go by it sucks! It is just a bootleg wanabe Vericut that is half a@#&$ at best. It would be great if they fixed all the issues and made it function (like i assume they want it to) but that is going to take about 6 MU's.

• Like 1

I used to pretty much run blind because the old verify had no hope of running even a partial set of toolpaths.

Now I can run a whole program all the way through with no issues.

The resolution could be better and it would be very nice if my settings would stick, but it's way better than being blind.

and I'm sure future releases will address these issues

True that. I find it way more stable for large parts as well, but I still think it wasn't ready for prime. I'm not sure if it's because they depend on outside developers and they simply didn't deliver on time, but it was rushed to the marked as a half baked product (verify and tool manager). The first time ever when it took me months after the release to use it for production. Before, it hit production while it was still in beta. This is how bad it worked for ME this time.

I've been using it in production since the initial alpha release last fall.

First simple stuff then more and more complex.

This week I'm working on 2 files I did in 2007 in X2.

We're moving the parts to a different machine and it's pretty much a do over,

The parts have 20 to 30 rest rough toolpaths and between 5 releases, a better computer and OS

and stock model the difference is striking.

Tool paths that took 4 or five minutes to crunch in X2, crunch in seconds now.

Being able to define a stock model instead of an STL file is a huge time and aggravation saver.

In X2 I had to verify these part in sections and save little pieces as STLs for future sessions.

Now I just run the whole file.

We can pi$$ and moan about X7's shortcoming, and many are legitimate complaints,

but this week's trip down memory lane has sure opened my eyes to how much things have improved

over the last 5 releases.

We can pi$$ and moan about X7's shortcoming, and many are legitimate complaints,

we all appreciate what you have to offer, it is IMO you are a gift to

this forum and help for all.

Just remember that Beta testers are the cream of the crop and 'have' the time and knowledge to

understand and find all the workarounds. Most ppl at every skill level, cannot deal with

or produce what they need in a timely fashion, like the workaround savy testers.

Its just another release that came out too soon for the 'general public'

I hope they can get a few more MU's out before they stop the MU's on this release.

I can really use another one for X6 to save about an hour a day, fix a few crashes and lock ups.....

I will use X7, but it HAS to more stable then it is, for that to happen any time soon

My 2 cents

• Like 1

In X7 you can change your backplot settings back to the old X6 style, and at least the backplot will function just as it did in X6.

I really don't like the new verify either, but like I said I 90% of my collision detection is done with backplot and I finish it off with Vericut.

Gcode, I know you are a big Mastercam fan and you help out tremendously with others problems but bottom line is that X7 is just another Failed release. We aren't Pi$$ing and Moaning we are just telling the truth. I know some of the features they have implemented have helped you and some others immensely. I am sorry, but they have totally missed the mark by pushing this out to soon. I would have thought they would have learned their lesson after the initial release of X6. There are so many features that I use in the old backplot and verification that are missing in UVBS that I am going back to X6 for the time being. It looks like we are going to start shopping around for something new. Our owners are very displeased with X7. I have been fighting to keep it for the last couple years.They believe CNC is just after the maintenance dollars. It's going to be a big change after 21 years with Mastercam.

Quote:

"They believe CNC is just after the maintenance dollars"

Truer words have never been spoken. This was exactly one of my comments to Brian Summers when I met with him last year. His red face spoke volumes. My reasoning was that CNC Software has the largest user base, and quite likely, the highest percentage of customers paying maintenance dollars. Given that, their revenue would be vast which SHOULD facilitate proper testing and development of the software. Ultimately, we the users, essentially are nothing more than an unpaid test-bed for their software. The crap that CNC has released over the last 2 or 3 years should be embarrassing to them. It still boggles my mind that issues that surfaced with the "X" product line are still issues. How long has it been now? 10 years ?????? Most of us just have too much time, or money, invested in the software to switch to something else, and CNC just takes advantage of this fact. The best thing that could ever happen to CNC Software would be to have someone buy them out, who actually care about their customers success and take their software offering seriously.

Carmen

• Like 1

For me, the maintenance dollars have been worth it every year for X4, X5, and X6. If X7 had been released in a shorter time frame, and simply been X6 with the new tool manager (and it worked without ruining your life), I'd have been happier with that.

I'm not a software programmer, so I don't have the first clue what goes into creating software. I know it's not easy. But I have to wonder if at some point they'll have to just throw everything away and start from scratch?

I've made many, many, many parts with X7 since Alpha, that said, I'm still pissed they couldn't manage to fix Project Manager since X6. C'mon man!... A novice coder could fix that in like 5 minutes.

I started using X7 in simple production jobs when it was in alpha last fall.

Early this year I was doing a Ø124" aluminum hogout in X6.

It had a 100+ pockets that I was cutting with 2D high speed Area and regen times were awful.

X7 added multithreading support for 2D highspeed toolpaths so I tried regening all the pockets in X7

The difference was 1 minute vrs 10 minutes. That's pretty much the last time I used X6.

I don't have X6 on my rig. Dumped it a month or so ago. I have not found any show stoppers in X7, but plenty of annoyances. I still think my work flow, not importing prior release configs, operations, etc... keeps it stable. I've had 3 crashes in the new Tool Wizard this past week but have not nailed down what caused it yet. It DOES take it a while to start though. Something is working REAL hard in the background. Software instability has never been a problem for me, it's the stuff they break between versions and refuse to fix that get's my dander up.