Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dprint for Makino A51nx

Bob W.

I am playing around with the Dprint macro function and I have it working with writing data to my compact flash card (parameter 20 is set to 4) but I was curious what value parameter 20 needs to be set to for setting data to my usb. The Fanuc parameter manual lists it as 17 but that generated an alarm. My data server is 15. This is for the 31i control and the basic structure of the program is:

G10 L52

N20 R4 (set CF card as destination)

G11

dprint...

G10 L52

N20 R15 (reset to data server)

G11

M30

Should be 17, but in all honesty, I've only tried to write to USB twice on DPRINT and no dice both times.

I'n hoping to get a machine with USB on my floor so I can do some more testing.

Interesting tht the Dataserver is 15 for you. Only ever seen it as 5.

Your format looks right for changing I/O. <head scratch>

Guest MTB Technical Services

What you can try in the meantime is to see if the I/O channel stays on 17 as the program executes.

17 is definitely the USB I/O channel.

I can check this for you on Tuesday.

I have a demo to do on a brand new RoboDrill with a 31i .

I'll test it and let you and James know.

DPRINT uses serial communication protocol, BIT data I/O in 8 or 16 BIT packages. USB is a "Serial DATA stream". For DPRINT-to-USB to work I think there would need to be some sort of buffer/compiler that collects the DPRINT info until it is finished and then transfers a complete file at one time.

DPRINT uses serial communication protocol, BIT data I/O in 8 or 16 BIT packages. USB is a "Serial DATA stream". For DPRINT-to-USB to work I think there would need to be some sort of buffer/compiler that collects the DPRINT info until it is finished and then transfers a complete file at one time.

Incorrect.

It uses the protocol of the current I/O Channel.

I just tested this on a Fanuc RoboDrill with a 31i.

It works just fine via RS-232, PCMCIA w/CF Memory Card and USB.

The command is DPRNT and it requires POPEN before the call and PCLOS after the call.

Keep in mind that the PRNTxxxx.DAT file will be in the root of the I/O device if you are changing that parameter dynamically in the program itself.

That I did not know, but I rarely work on Fanuc's anymore. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Glad to help.

Tim,

You ever get it to work with embedded ethernet? Tried it once and no dice.

Mike

I haven't tried that.

The machine is currently in a building without network access.

Thanks Tim.

@Bob, you may not be doing anything wrong, Makino's implementation of USB may be lacking. I was not able to get two different Toyodas to DPRINT to USB. A lot of interface stuff is builder dependent. FANUC gives them the framework.

@Bob, you may not be doing anything wrong, Makino's implementation of USB may be lacking. I was not able to get two different Toyodas to DPRINT to USB. A lot of interface stuff is builder dependent. FANUC gives them the framework.

Right. I can print to the CF card which is probably better anyways. The USB is in and out of the machine so often it would probably end up causing alarms. I typically just leave the CF card in there permanently. Ideally I'd like to get it to print into the job directory on the data server but I'm not sure that is possible.

Dataserver Works for me.

This;

%

<DPRINT-TEST>(DPRINT OFFSETS)

G90G10L52 (WRITE TO PARAMETERS ON)

N20R5 (CHANGE COMMUNICATIONS TO CH 5 - DATESERVER)

G11 (WRITE PARAMETERS OFF)

N0001POPEN (OPEN PORT)

N10DPRNT[TOOL*1*OFFSET*H*VALUE*IS*#11001[44]]

N11DPRNT[TOOL*1*OFFSET*H*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#10001[44]]

N12DPRNT[TOOL*1*OFFSET*D*VALUE*IS*#13001[44]]

N13DPRNT[TOOL*1*OFFSET*D*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#12001[44]]

N20DPRNT[TOOL*54*OFFSET*H*VALUE*IS*#11054[44]]

N21DPRNT[TOOL*54*OFFSET*H*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#10054[44]]

N22DPRNT[TOOL*54*OFFSET*D*VALUE*IS*#13054[44]]

N23DPRNT[TOOL*54*OFFSET*D*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#12054[44]]

N30DPRNT[TOOL*139*OFFSET*H*VALUE*IS*#11139[44]]

N31DPRNT[TOOL*139*OFFSET*H*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#10003[44]]

N32DPRNT[TOOL*139*OFFSET*D*VALUE*IS*#13139[44]]

N33DPRNT[TOOL*139*OFFSET*D*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#12139[44]]

N40DPRNT[TOOL*18*OFFSET*H*VALUE*IS*#11018[44]]

N41DPRNT[TOOL*18*OFFSET*H*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#10018[44]]

N42DPRNT[TOOL*18*OFFSET*D*VALUE*IS*#13018[44]]

N43DPRNT[TOOL*18*OFFSET*D*WEAR*VALUE*IS*#12018[44]]

N999PCLOS (CLOSE PORT)

G90G10L52 (WRITE TO PARAMETERS ON)

N20R4 (CHANGE COMMUNICATIONS TO CH 4 - MEM CARD)

G11 (WRITE PARAMETERS OFF)

M30

%

gives me this;

TOOL 1 OFFSET H VALUE IS 5.0663

TOOL 1 OFFSET H WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 1 OFFSET D VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 1 OFFSET D WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 54 OFFSET H VALUE IS 3.7565

TOOL 54 OFFSET H WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 54 OFFSET D VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 54 OFFSET D WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 139 OFFSET H VALUE IS 5.9819

TOOL 139 OFFSET H WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 139 OFFSET D VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 139 OFFSET D WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 18 OFFSET H VALUE IS 6.0656

TOOL 18 OFFSET H WEAR VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 18 OFFSET D VALUE IS .0000

TOOL 18 OFFSET D WEAR VALUE IS .0000

YOu won't be able to view the file on the machine. You will have to drag it off the Dataserver using FTP Software then interrogate it.

HTH

Thanks for the info James. Do you know if this can be set to post in a specific directory on the data server? Things have been in turbo mode around here this last week. JParis helped my get probing set up in my custom drill cycles, which is working great and extremely easy to use. I have implemented DFO for all 4-axis and 5-axis programming, and with the Dprint I will be able to keep logs of critical measurements and adjust tools on the fly. Definitely taking things up a notch. The other day I was running a 5-axis part that was probed (offsets) with measured values set to DFO parameters, and the parts were then run in DFO. It was pretty cool to be able to hold perfect tolerances in 5-axis machining with just placing the part in the fixture and getting it close. Old hat for you I know but very cool for me :-)

The next step is to tackle TCP, which is what Makino is recommending for my configuration. I know you were pushing WSEC but I'm not sure if they support that.

No directory support. It always goes to the root of the device. It will create new files every time so no worries about overwriting data.

TCP is fun to watch, don't forget to Double up on the Depends while you get used to the motion. Your sphincter is going to get a workout.

I like WSEC, it may be a bit boring but it works badass. I think honestly few people understand how it REALLY works. Trust me, I aged in dog years on a project we used it on because FANUC's explanations are so xxxx poor and whe I ran into issues , nobody at FANUC was of any real help. We had to get help from Elliot Machinery in Canada to help us resolve the issues we encountered. But we've got a solid handle on the function so that helps come implementation time.

Trust me, as much as I'm around it and as much as I see 5-Ax... I still get off on it. :D wait, that didn't come out right. :p