Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

AS9100 7.5.1.3 Control of Numerical NC/CNC Machines Programs

J Coulston

Hello All,

I am looking for the best practices/advice on how to control CNC programs to comply with the AS9100 7.5.1.3 requirements. Should both the MCX file and the NC file be controled or just the NC file? I was thinking that I would only need to control the NC file as the MCX is a means to an end. QA is inspecting the NC file to verify machined part compliance to the print after the part is run. Does anyone use Vericut to comply with this requirement?

I was thinking on adding a post line somthing like this

O0001

N10 (PROG VALIDATED=) then enter the date QA inspected and validated the machined part to the print, mark the NC file read only.

Possible Directory structure:

Server/2300/2300 Proven/2300 Data

The verified NC files would be stored in Proven directory read only and the MCX and scratch files would be save in the Data sub directory.

Thoughts, recommendations on the most efficient way to comply?

Thank you

CIMCO NC-Base or CIMCO PDM would be tools to do it. They have lifecycle control and meet ISO requirements for both NC-Programs and their associated files. (MCX, CAD models, Tool/Setup sheets, etc)

http://www.cimco.com...escription.php3

http://www.cimco.com...escription.php3

They can also offer integration with the DNC systems, what complements you with full event tracking.

Guest MTB Technical Services

I had great success with PDMWorks both Workgroup and Enterprise (Conisio) Versions for managing the data.

I would link both the MCX and the NC files to the SolidWorks model.

Both had separate version control.

Establishing a file naming convention that makes sense is half the battle.

To be ISO compliant you need to save your mcx and nc files in a directory structure containing customer then part number and revision status. We store our mcx files so that whoever programs the part files is the only one to have write access (saves pointing fingers). We also store mcx and nc files in seperate locations for better access control. We aslo have a proof directory and a production directory. Programs proven out are moved to the production directory after everything has been bought off.

• Like 1

John, the size of your company, structure and scope of what you need to control make a big difference of the structure you will need to put in place. for instance a 2 man shop would be a lot different than a 100 plus employee multy location operation.

cimco as mentioned offers a solution for this that has check and balance system but they dont give there software away.

Doug

I had great success with PDMWorks both Workgroup and Enterprise (Conisio) Versions for managing the data.

I would link both the MCX and the NC files to the SolidWorks model.

Both had separate version control.

Establishing a file naming convention that makes sense is half the battle.

We are not using the MasterCam / SolidWorks link so as not to tie up an active SolidWorks licence for 'non-design' work. We use the Windchill PDM to control SolidWorks CAD and it does a great job. We bypassed PDMWorks because it only handles SolidWorks CAD while Windchill will manage Pro/E, Catia, Unigraphics, Mentor Graphics, SolidWorks etc.

We will be using Windchill to manage both the MasterCam source and output (.nc) files, but they will be stored as 'flat' document files. A bit more cumbersome and not as slick as the CAD file handling. However, the storage scheme will satisfy basic AS9100 7.5.1.3 requirements for configuration control.

To be ISO compliant you need to save your mcx and nc files in a directory structure containing customer then part number and revision status. We store our mcx files so that whoever programs the part files is the only one to have write access (saves pointing fingers). We also store mcx and nc files in seperate locations for better access control. We aslo have a proof directory and a production directory. Programs proven out are moved to the production directory after everything has been bought off.

Do you create those proof/production directories inside each revision of the program? Reason I ask is sometimes I've gotten 3 design changes in one day while we were in production..... that would make my head spin.

I would keep it simple and use something like I did years ago. We put a NC log book on the floor and had one in the office for the programmer. The programmer would use a mr value in his Mastercam file. That would then output a line of code in the header with the NC REV level. A to Z 1 = A to 26 = Z and then if there were changes then the programmer would log it in the book. I moved it over to a network log using Excel. All program headers were bought off and run any changes like tool numbers were exempt to Program Rev, but speeds and feed were consider a rev change. Operators could not make changes unless approved by the shop foreman. He would then make the changes and put the programs in a folder to be approved by programming. If it needed to be changed in the Mastercam file and reposted and checked it would or it could be accepted as it and stored on the server. Thing is to many people want to use all the these fancy programs and jump through all these crazy hoops. KISS always works and helps in an audit. Keep it simple know the process show you understand the process and follow the process life is good. The more complex the harder it is to follow then the more likely it will not be followed not used and then not followed. A recipe for disaster. I found this method worked good it was documented through 2 pages easy to follow and done. Most auditors were amazed it was such a simple and robust process. They most times commented the 50 steps other people had to go through and how most never understood it. They would ask for copies to show other companies and I was glad to share.

Thing about the standard is do you understand the process? Do you use the process you have laid out? Do you have a way to audit the process you have laid out? Can you show someone it works and you follow the process you laid out? Things is people always think it has to be some 50 or 100 step process to impress someone. Really and how hard is that to follow? I click on one thing in the Mastercam file. Anytime I need to make a change I open the log file on the server. I then change the mr9 in the 1st operation. I repost it goes into the header. It gets run and proved out. It is then saved on the server once done. Life is good I did not have to go through 20 different hoops learn 5 different software and done. Use whatever you want, but I would always laugh at Goodrich and other companies trying to add to Boeing's DP/MBD process. Thing was I got out company approved well before they were so I always got a wavier for extra crap they would try to tack on. Most people just go along and spend the extra money on this buzz word wiz bang or that whizzel fizzel program. I laugh everytime I see Windchill or something else mentioned. No offens00 and not meant to be that way, but how about just make a simple easy way. Do the simple easy way and then life will be simple and easy. Want to jump to 50 hoops I will be glad to let you teach my girls piano that should be stressful enough for you. :help: