Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

List of point coordinates

Bill Cronkhite

I have a point cloud that I had to enter by hand X,Y,Z coordinates (144 points). Problem is I have a few that seem to be missing and a few "fliers" that are obviously wrong. Is there any way to generate a list of the coordinates of the points I'[ve entered in Mastercam so I can compare it to the original list? I know this is a strange request, but I have to work in a 1970's enviornment here.

Do File > Save As.

Set the option to Save as a Text file. (*.txt)

That will save the file in a space delimited format. You can then use the Text Import Wizard in Microsoft Excel to import this as "delimited" data. In the wizard, tell Excel the delimiter is a space character. This will put your data into sortable rows and columns...

Hope that helps,

Colin

• Like 2

You are welcome Bill, thanks for asking the question. One of my favorite things about Mastercam is the variety of different tools build into the software. I find there is almost always a way to get the job done...

You can also import lists of points from a text file Bill. So if you are getting the data that way, you can easily import it into Mastercam and not type it in manually...

Collin, this is something I could use, could you explain this a bit for me.

Radical - If you choose ASCII (txt) for the "type" of file to open, Mastercam will bring it in a text file as Points, Lines or Splines (depending on your options selected). To bring it in, Mastercam wants to see it in this format:

1 2 3

1 2 3

1 2 3

1 2 3

1 2 3

Of course, that would just bring in the same point 5 times, but you get the idea... :) It's just the X Y Z position with a space in between them. If you're bringing in splines, it uses a blank line to end the spline. If the 1st and last points in a group match, it will close the spline for you, otherwise it'll be open.

Edit: I just saw Ron post about Verisurf's tools, they're quite powerful :)

If you installed the Verisurf tools. There should be a tool you can add to a toolbar that can do Copy & Paste, you can Copy selected CAD points right to the windows clipboard and Paste them into any editor or Excel, you can also copy points from an editor or Excel and Paste them back into CAD points.

This tool can save lots of time.

Ernie

• Like 1

One of my tasks at work is modeling aerospace parts, where the walls are defined by Mold Line data charts, so i am familiar with importing the .csv data as points. I manually have to create rows of splines using these points to create lofted surfaces.

Question for Ernie, does Verisurf tools have capability of creating surfaces from points (cloud point?), or is this feature only available in full version of Vericut?

• 4 years later...
On 9/22/2013 at 9:07 PM, Verisurf - Ernie Husted said:

If you installed the Verisurf tools. There should be a tool you can add to a toolbar that can do Copy & Paste, you can Copy selected CAD points right to the windows clipboard and Paste them into any editor or Excel, you can also copy points from an editor or Excel and Paste them back into CAD points.

This tool can save lots of time.

Ernie

I apologize for performing necromancy on this obviously dead thread.

Ernie,

When I copy the points out using Verisurf tools I get points in the global co-ordinate system regardless of what WCS I have selected. Is there any way to get the points to copy out relative to a selected WCS?