Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Simple lathe toolpaths with Stock Update NOT RECOGNIZED

Is it me or is anyone else fed up with using mastercam? We have X7 here in the shop and we use it for primarily turning operations and for god sakes I waste more time trying to figure out how to circumvent the minor quirks in this software's ability to function properly. Now I'm have a problem with its stock updater. Im Drilling a 3.5" hole in a 18.675" X 10.5" piece of stainless, then facing an 1" off the 1st side, then coming in with a 2" boring bar and rough turning a lot of stock off the I.D. Its telling me the tool starts embedded in the stock, however, its been faced off, so why doesn't it recognized that? I should not have to start a whole inch off the face of the damn part cutting air. Someone please help. Ill try to include the file

1356 OP20.MCX-7

• Op. 3 - You need to fix your lead in, it is going the wrong direction
  • Op. 4 - You will need to change your defined jaw step so the geometry you are trying to cut is not behind the face of the jaws (try changing your width step to 1.0 from 1.7). I would also recommend rechaining to include the chamfer at the end of the chain and to extend the end of the contour in lead out settings so op. 7 does not plunge into the remaining stock with the entire insert
  • Op.5 - Turn on the 'Extend contour to stock' option so the tool cuts all of the stock and does not start embedded in the remaining stock (if you end far enough in op 4 this is less of an issue).
  • Your boring bar definition for T6 (operation 8) is bad. You will need to modify the settings or select a different tool

I constantly have a similar issue on VERY SIMPLE boring ops. "NO AREAS OF REMAINING STOCK FOUND". Really sucks and makes the simple things very tedious. Does not matter what tool I use. Sometimes I can fix it with a simple shut down and restart, sometimes I have to delete the process and do it again. Sometimes it never works and I have to use a finish op and calculate the number of passes. PLEASE FIX THIS!

• Like 1
I constantly have a similar issue on VERY SIMPLE boring ops. "NO AREAS OF REMAINING STOCK FOUND". Really sucks and makes the simple things very tedious. Does not matter what tool I use. Sometimes I can fix it with a simple shut down and restart, sometimes I have to delete the process and do it again. Sometimes it never works and I have to use a finish op and calculate the number of passes. PLEASE FIX THIS!

Got a sample file you can share?

Matt and all lathe programers,

That is a know bug in lathe. If you toopath goes beyond the stock in Z , it will crash your machine!!!!

You wiil see the toolpath , usually on the last cut go beyond the stock and right into your chuck.

Extend your stock in Z beyond your toolpaths and that issue goes away.

CNC knows this but hasn't fixed it yet.

Machineguy

• 2 years later...

I've been using Mastercam on and off for many years now. (since around v5). I thought this stuff was amazing once I had learned enough to start making chips.  As my machining experience and programming started to growI was offered a job as Cnc trainer for McDonnel Douglas Canada. These guys had MC but did the majority of the work with Catia. This was my first exposure to it and at first it seemed quite daunting as all new software does. After a while I was comfortable and very capable with Catia. MDCAN would keep MC up to date for the few that used it. I began to see all that was lacking in MC compared to the abilities of Catia. Their  mill, lathe and mill/turn were miles ahead of MC at that time and still today with V5-6-2015.  From MDCAN I was offered a similar position at Bombardier in Montreal. There Catia and UGS-NX were the the big guns. When I asked about MC I was told  that it had been quickly eliminated as a needed tool. I was told that this software that I had loved so much in my early years was completely inadequate for this type of work. I began to dabble with NX7.5 which had just been released. It had a similar workflow to catia but a much better layout in general. Things were right there these things were as powerful as Catia. Over the years I knew this was the ultimate stuff. This software  made using MC like playing space invaders on Atari in a play station world. I now operate my own CNC consulting and programming service. I get to trot the globe and see a range of industry that today still blows my mind. Some of the new machines in use run themselves. 20-40 MT machines that only need a couple of people to keep an eye on things. A team of programmers to keep up with the demand for the products. Mastercam does not belong here. I've seen nothing spectacular come out of this software in the last 12 years. Really the turning side has been stagnant since v9, mill/turn looks to be totally useless in the real world where workarounds just become too time consuming. I've had the chance to use some less expensive stuff like Camworks. You know what, for a price that's about a third of MC, this stuff is pretty good. Leaps ahead of MC in turning and MT. I currently have it in my arsenal along with solidworks and NX. Come on CNC Software get you crap together before your just known as CAM.

I've been using Mastercam on and off for many years now. (since around v5). I thought this stuff was amazing once I had learned enough to start making chips.  As my machining experience and programming started to growI was offered a job as Cnc trainer for McDonnel Douglas Canada. These guys had MC but did the majority of the work with Catia. This was my first exposure to it and at first it seemed quite daunting as all new software does. After a while I was comfortable and very capable with Catia. MDCAN would keep MC up to date for the few that used it. I began to see all that was lacking in MC compared to the abilities of Catia. Their  mill, lathe and mill/turn were miles ahead of MC at that time and still today with V5-6-2015.  From MDCAN I was offered a similar position at Bombardier in Montreal. There Catia and UGS-NX were the the big guns. When I asked about MC I was told  that it had been quickly eliminated as a needed tool. I was told that this software that I had loved so much in my early years was completely inadequate for this type of work. I began to dabble with NX7.5 which had just been released. It had a similar workflow to catia but a much better layout in general. Things were right there these things were as powerful as Catia. Over the years I knew this was the ultimate stuff. This software  made using MC like playing space invaders on Atari in a play station world. I now operate my own CNC consulting and programming service. I get to trot the globe and see a range of industry that today still blows my mind. Some of the new machines in use run themselves. 20-40 MT machines that only need a couple of people to keep an eye on things. A team of programmers to keep up with the demand for the products. Mastercam does not belong here. I've seen nothing spectacular come out of this software in the last 12 years. Really the turning side has been stagnant since v9, mill/turn looks to be totally useless in the real world where workarounds just become too time consuming. I've had the chance to use some less expensive stuff like Camworks. You know what, for a price that's about a third of MC, this stuff is pretty good. Leaps ahead of MC in turning and MT. I currently have it in my arsenal along with solidworks and NX. Come on CNC Software get you crap together before your just known as CAM.

Cool story, bro.

I would like to check out Catia to see how it comperes to Mastercam. I like checking out new software so I might have to line up a demo and see what its all about. I have spent a lot of time over the last year working with a company that uses NX and what we are doing with Mastercam is slashing cycle times. Doesn't really motivate me to try it.

Any software is only as good as the user...However, at my last job they got a y axis lathe a few months before I left and the MC posts were severely limited.  

The post is only as good as the post developer. A few months back I programmed a group of parts for a twin turret twin spindle Y axis lathe and the post and Mastercam were more than up to the challenge.

The post is only as good as the post developer. A few months back I programmed a group of parts for a twin turret twin spindle Y axis lathe and the post and Mastercam were more than up to the challenge.

Oh, I agree. But shouldn't the product be shipped with working posts?  We had to have the sales guy come in with one of the tech guys so we could show him what was it that the post was doing wrong, or wasnt doing at all.  We pay ******** for  product and its not complete.  Most shops dont have the time or the knowledge to be developing posts.  Reading these forums Ive earn about Postability, but if I told my boss that there was a company that was selling good post his reaction would have been "I paid for MC!! they need to make it work, call them!" and he has a point.  

Edited by JParis
No pricing discussions

Oh, I agree. But shouldn't the product be shipped with working posts?  We had to have the sales guy come in with one of the tech guys so we could show him what was it that the post was doing wrong, or wasnt doing at all.  We pay 25k + for  product and its not complete.  Most shops dont have the time or the knowledge to be developing posts.  Reading these forums Ive earn about Postability, but if I told my boss that there was a company that was selling good post his reaction would have been "I paid for MC!! they need to make it work, call them!" and he has a point.  

NX, CATIA and other High End Systems don't come with posts for these machines either and you pay a lot more for them, but the cheaper software Mastercam is supposed to?

Mastercam does ship with working posts for basic machines, but get above the standard axis combinations and you get what you pay for. I tell all customers when buying new machines to have the post included in the price of the new machine. Also make sure the machine model is included in the price.

Oh, I agree. But shouldn't the product be shipped with working posts?  We had to have the sales guy come in with one of the tech guys so we could show him what was it that the post was doing wrong, or wasnt doing at all.  We pay 25k + for  product and its not complete.  Most shops dont have the time or the knowledge to be developing posts.  Reading these forums Ive earn about Postability, but if I told my boss that there was a company that was selling good post his reaction would have been "I paid for MC!! they need to make it work, call them!" and he has a point.  

Do you even know how many different machines are out there today? Not to mention you can take two identical machines and option them out different requiring a different post for each. Throw in personal preferences and macro programs and it is impossible to configure all those posts without increasing the price of Mastercam 10 to 20 fold or more. So no your boss doesn't have a valid point. I don't know about you but I would rather have CNC Software focus on making Mastercam better and pay the dedicated post builder to focus on making a perfect post. A post cost is roughly 1% of the machine cost, it shouldn't be as much of an issue as people make it out to be. Having an edit free post will save you far more that its price over the life of the machine by reducing labor costs.