Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas UMC 750

Masterminder408

Same question here! :)

How can we "connect" them? I mean the customized post with machsim?

THX Allan!

I don't think you can. Last time I saw, MachSim was driven by a specific, but simple language, using point to point movements and rotary angles/vectors. Perhaps they use XML now? I remember that in order to show transitions correctly, all motions were linearized...

Anyway is not driven by G-Code as we know it. So far, the only CAM systems doing this AFAIK are NX and CAMWorks, where NX is light years ahead of CAMWorks.

ICAM builds the post using the machine limits. It builds the machine simulation from those limits. It build the control emulation from those limits. It looks to the kinematics of the machine then takes the code supplied to it by the CAM and then does it job. Plain and simple. Vericut is great product, but like said they are dependent on the PP from someone else. ICAM takes it from the CAM program and then converts, analyzes, simulates and then goes from there. For about the same money as the Verification from Vericut you get the complete package with PP, Machine Simulation and Control Emulation. With over 40 years making PP they do get it.

Hi Peter,

Please contact your Reseller regarding the Mach Sim output. It is certainly possible to have your post output both the NC code and the CL code for Mach Sim.

Daniel is correct thought that Mach Sim won't run the actual G code output from the post.

Bob also mentioned (and is correct) that the Machine Simulation won't simulate TCPC, or DWO properly. TCPC and DWO allow you to move the part around on your machine, and have the controller compensate for that "on-the-fly". Vericut can accurately simulate that, and also check for over travel, crashes, and much more.

Our Machine Simulation is great for checking clearances, rotary limits, and verifying your setup. In my opinion though, you really should invest in a product like Vericut if you are going to be running a 5 Axis machine, especially if you want to take advantage of the advanced features in your control.

ICAM builds the post using the machine limits. It builds the machine simulation from those limits. It build the control emulation from those limits. It looks to the kinematics of the machine then takes the code supplied to it by the CAM and then does it job. Plain and simple. Vericut is great product, but like said they are dependent on the PP from someone else. ICAM takes it from the CAM program and then converts, analyzes, simulates and then goes from there. For about the same money as the Verification from Vericut you get the complete package with PP, Machine Simulation and Control Emulation. With over 40 years making PP they do get it.

Isn't ICAM specific to only a few machine models though? I have never heard a bad thing about either Vericut or ICAM, except that ICAM isn't available for every machine make. I could be mistaken on that however.

TCPC is tool center point control and DWO is dynamic work offset. DWO allows one to program with the work offset on the part as they would with any standard 3-axis part. Without DWO the part needs to be programmed to the axis of rotation with is pretty restrictive when wanting to move a project to a different machine. It also makes the fixture tolerances critical for holding tight part tolerances.

Isn't ICAM specific to only a few machine models though? I have never heard a bad thing about either Vericut or ICAM, except that ICAM isn't available for every machine make. I could be mistaken on that however.

ICAM has over 200 different controls already built into it. You build the psot and define things as part of the process. These are lesson they learned over 40 years of making post. Not a Generic post you tweak to your machine, but a post build around what the control can do and what the machine is capable of doing.

Re: G Code verification

Has anyone ever considered:

Any computer program simulating G Code is not "Running" gcode, it is using an interpreter.

So it reads G Code and interprets that into motion and actions.

You would most likely find issues/limitations using with this "Running" G Code interpretation software (no matter the brand).

A valid point. i have seen vericut misinterpret a gcode arc. good in vericut but bad on machine. probably some disconnect in settings between mill and computer.

ICAM beats any other PP builder solution when it comes to control and kinematic templates. I work with GPost, a competitor tool, for years and they are not even close to ICAM. The same is true for Intellipost, another PP builder that was started in the same period.

I honestly don't think that variety is an issue for ICAM.

We have a Haas UMC750 coming in about one week. I believe we ordered this machine eight or nine months ago. Its been so long I can't remember. I contacted our reseller yesterday to inquire about post your guys are talking about on here. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I'll let you know how it works out.