Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grain Direction Nesting Problem

KelschKid

Good morning everyone. I've got a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I'm running version 9.1 on XP and the darn thing has a mind of it's own when it comes to nesting parts.

I'll give grain direction to my parts, but on a lot of the parts it will flip them the opposite way so I have to manually translate, rotate etc and it takes forever.

The older computer we had Mastercam on never had these problems, but this is a newer computer that had Windows 7 on it ( i think 64 bit version, but I'm not sure. I'm not to savvy on that stuff as the guy who worked here before me set it all up) that is now running XP and I'm wondering if that is the conflict. It's also a Hewlett Packard if that makes a difference.......

• Like 1

On The sheet tab in the nesting dialog box put material has grain either vertical or horizontal on the parts tab do the same thing If you want the parts cut in groups as they would be on a cabinet, on the parts tab use "add chained clusters" make sure your parts are spaced correctly for your tools before doing this.

Yeah I already do that. It's not in the nesting settings, it's in some software glitch or something. I was hoping someone would know some driver I could download to fix it, or video card setting, or Windows setting, or whatever. Somewhere in the bowels of Mastercam there's a conflict and I just want to know how to fix it.

I forgot to tell you that the parts should be oriented the way you want them before nesting. Also now mind you it's been a long time since V9 but make sure rotate parts is either disabled or set to "0" Barring that please give more exact info and screen shots of every step. Or just give your Mastercam dealer a call for support, but since your still on V9 I assume you don't have free support.

All the parts I'm doing are oriented right before nesting, but the bulk of what I do is creating rectangle parts right in the "parts" tab of the nesting section and giving them grain.

Again, it's hit and miss because sometimes the grain direction is right on all the parts, and sometimes it isn't. It seems to happen more the more parts you have though. When only one or two sheets are needed it usually doesn't nest them screwy. (but sometimes it still does even with one or two sheets)

As for screen shots I never thought of posting them. I'll try to get some posted today if I have time. (probably won't though:( )

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finally have some screen shots. This one is to show that I have horizontal grain on my sheet. The sheet size is actually 48 1/2*96 1/2, but the guy who worked here before me said I need to add 1.77 to both width and height. I think he said that the program was buggy, and that was the size he figured out would work best.

post-50742-0-20981500-1387483830_thumb.jpg

This screen shows the nesting parameters. Sheet margin is -.02 when the parts are .51 inches apart, and .48 when the parts are .26 apart. Again, I don't know why, just that the guy before me said to do it that way. I've messed with it a little and when I change those numbers it affects where the parts end up. We want them at .125 x .125 from the origin.

post-50742-0-44956100-1387484312_thumb.jpg

I didn't want to show every single part, but they all have vertical grain and the one that is shown is one that did not nest right. It reversed the grain.

post-50742-0-20580300-1387484677_thumb.jpg

Every one with an "x" through it was nested wrong. I didn't "draft" the sizes because I don't have time, and because if you don't believe me, then too bad:)

post-50742-0-49378400-1387484899_thumb.jpg

The one in the center is the rectangle that was on the parts screen. This is just to show exactly what I'm talking about.

post-50742-0-80555200-1387487182_thumb.jpg

Is it video card settings? Is it service pack 3, or some driver related issue? I really need help because it's taking us forever to fix these every time and it's driving me nuts.

post-50742-0-20981500-1387483830_thumb.jpg

post-50742-0-44956100-1387484312_thumb.jpg

post-50742-0-20580300-1387484677_thumb.jpg

post-50742-0-49378400-1387484899_thumb.jpg

post-50742-0-80555200-1387487182_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I should have been clearer in my original post.......I'm running Windows XP on a computer that USED to have windows 7 on it so I'm assuming it has a 64 bit processor, but with XP it's only running 32 bit? Like I said, I'm not too savvy on the software because the guy who worked here before me set it all up. He did mention that there might be a maintenance release that would fix our problem, but so far I haven't been able to find one......

We use MastercamX5 for automatic toolpathing on our MDF doors, but honestly, I like V9.1 better. Plus we have a secretary who's over 50 using V9.1, and training her in on X5 will be more of a headache than getting V9.1 to work :rolleyes:

So......what is a nethasp correct? I Googled "hethasp correct" and what it pulled up doesn't seem to relate to what I need. Most of the info was about dongle problems.........

Would a nethasp correct allow it to run on Windows 7? Because I'd rather use 7 than XP........

Sorry for so many stupid questions, but only by admitting ones ignorance, does one come to knowledge :D