Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Import Toolpath Operations Problem

john316

I've been having this problem for at least the last couple of version and haven't found a solution yet.

Maybe somebody can help me out this time.

The problem is occurring when I try to import operations from another MCX file.

The steps I'm taking are as follows:

Open Operations Manager,

Place the red arrow where I want the toolpath to be imported,

Right mouse click and select "import",

In the "Import Toolpath Operations" window I use the "Select Operations File" button to browse to my MCX file,

When I get to the folder containing the file I change the file type to "Mastercam X Files",

Here's where the problem occurs;

After double clicking on the MCX file to import from the "Import Toolpath Operations" window disappears. My mouse and keyboard are disabled in the Mastercam window so I'm not able to select anything to get out of it. I am stuck with having to use the Windows Task Manager to close Mastercam at which point I get the message;

"The system cannot end this program because it is waiting for a response from you......."

I'm not sure what Mastercam is waiting for but usually at the point where the window disappears I should be seeing the toolpath operations from the file I'm trying to import from so I can select them to continue the import operation.

Any ideas?

mine sometimes just BARELY shows the top of the window, at the bottom left of the screen. see if it's there, just above the taskbar

I've seen that happen at times. I wish it were the case here. I've also seen the window hide behind the Mastercam pane but once it locks up I'm not able to downsize the window to look behind it.

do not double click on mcx file; just single click and O.K.

That's not working either. Thanks though.

It seems to be partly related to file size but I've been able to import toolpaths from large files before. The file in question was larger but I stripped out most of the solids and ran Ramsaver to try and streamline it as much as possible to no avail.

As much as I like solids Masatercam doesn't seem to be too solid friendly.

Anybody from CNC have any input?

In this particular case I copied and pasted my fixture in 4 different orientations. 1 for each operation so I could use them for solids layout.

I removed the solids history before making the copies but the file went from 45 meg to 600 meg just from copying my solids. I couldn't figure out where all the background garbage came from and Ramsaver didn't get rid of it.

My solution was to save my fixtures as step files and re-import them into Mastercam to get rid of the trash.

I then took the original file and deleted everything except the toolpaths and pertinent geometry to make the file as small as possible.

Next I re-opened the fixture files to import the toolpath from the larger file but I kept getting this system lock-up.

I ended up going back to the stripped down file with the toolpath in it and merging in my tooling solids.

This will work but once I start building my drafting entities this file is going to turn into a snail..

My files are usually pretty small (2-5 MB), but I import ops from my ops library and other MC files all day every day and have never seen this. I'm using X6.

Not sure why it would matter, but for FWIW, I always change the file type to MCX *before* browsing for the file.

Thad

Kevin, they do not frequent the board as much as people think. Will be best to send it over to Rob at CCC and let him push it up to CNC.

Importing ops has never worked well for me. Best thing is to rename file, delete geometry and save in special spot. Open file, merge file and re-pick geometry.

I would also like to comment-.

With as many costumers as cnc has, there should by more then 20 to 50 comments per day.

Somebody should be telling Maintenance customers about major flaws in the updates. Email is easy these days.

I have been a mastercam user for 10 plus years and only found the forum last year and watching it. There are alot of good trips and tricks to be learned here. The best one is copying geometry from one session to another. But as Lisa Simpson says "I'm a small fish in a big pond."