Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Move WCS

scooke4073

I'm trying to move my WCS to align with a new part orientation. I know your can alter a WCS origin but this only does linear translations. What if I need to rotate my WCS?

The part program is pretty extensive with lots of planes created at unusual angles so creating a new WCS would be a nightmare. I would have to go through each toolpath and reestablish all my planes (and create new ones). Also I created the original WCS by solid face so there is no way to make it associative (I'll never do that again!).

I've attached a stripped down file.

OP10.MCX-7

I don't want to create a new WCS....rather I want to move it to a new location.

It will be easier and much more efficient to create a custom plane and set it as your new World Coordinate System.

Be aware though some tpaths like flowline may not respond as expected when using a tilted custom plane.

Just to clarify, you want to change origin of a WCS or a plane?

WCS Origin as well as angular rotation

Do you use incremental in your operations to allows for these types of changes quickly an easily to your operation for a 5 axis machine?

Do you use a base point to establish you WCS from so if you need to change it's position you can do so quickly?

Yes I use incremental in my operations as much as possible.

I didn't use a base point to establish my WCS. I wish I had....I could have checked Associative and if I translated my part the WCS would have moved with it....right?

I didn't use a base point to establish my WCS. I wish I had....I could have checked Associative and if I translated my part the WCS would have moved with it....right?

Not sure I follow you there. If you moved you part? The idea is you never move the part you only move the point and then all the operation using the WCS get updated. Why are you moving parts? I looked at your file and on that part it really did not convey to me what I thought you were trying to accomplish. can you give a little different explanation as to what you need to do? I would think a different WCS would do everything you need not moving the parts. I do it from time to time where I programmed a 5 Axis part for a Vertical 5 axis and then it needs to be moved to a Horizontal 5 axis. I just change the WCS from Top to Front and fix all the operations and go from there. A little bit of work, but sure beats reprogramming 60 to 100 hours worth of work.

Alright in a nutshell....

Machine: Mazak Variaxis (trunnion 5 axis)

I already programmed the part complete. The fixture and part were positioned on the global coordinate system as shown below with a WCS created relative to the part Datums. You can see both coordinate systems.

I now have redesigned the fixture to machine 4 parts. The orientation of my parts have changed completely (see picture 2).

I merged this new fixture into my old file and translated it into position. Now I need to be able to move the old WCS (and all the associated planes) and geometry to match the new orientation.

Do I make sense?

I understand what everyone is saying, for the most part. The reason I am doing it this way is so that when I run machine sim everything is positioned correctly. I want everything to match....what I see in Mastercam is exactly what I see on the machine.

post-46941-0-04683000-1389720583_thumb.jpg

post-46941-0-90822000-1389720783_thumb.jpg

Do I make sense?

I understand what everyone is saying, for the most part. The reason I am doing it this way is so that when I run machine sim everything is positioned correctly. I want everything to match....what I see in Mastercam is exactly what I see on the machine.

Yes you make sense and the issue is that last part. You can create a WCS for the Center of that setup, and then create the planes relative to that and go from there. Getting everything to work in Machine simulation is where the problem comes in since it does not support transform operations. So to see everything and have it be at the correct rotations you now need to do it four time. Where as if the machine simulation supported transform operation then tons of extra work would not be needed. I do it once and prove it out and then my transform. I do not have enough time to program hurderds of extra operations because the machine simulation does ot support transform operations.

Here's one of my current projects and I check one face and transform the operations and call it a day.

CHICK_zpsb38e4bde.png

CHICK2_zpsebcbe734.png

Sorry you have to make a New WCS and then make all new planes or move everything and make new planes and then assign the planes from there. Normally with what you are doing. I Export out the operations and then get everything as far as the model goes where I want it and then important the operation save use current planes and then repick or adjust from there. Push comes to shove I have 2 session open and use the one like it was to help me reprogram the new one. Maybe someone a whole lot smarter than me can give you the magic one button process that will do what you need because it would sure be nice to have one.

That clears it up.

I'm just running 2 sessions right now and recreating all my planes again.

Maybe in the future you will be able to translate everything together (geometry, WCS, planes)

Thanks to everyone who responded.

If you are recreating the planes try drawing two lines on the plane, one in the X and one in the Y direction at your zero location. Then pick Plane by Geometry to create your plane. That way if you ever need to move the part orientation in the future you just select the part and the geometry used to create the plane (your two lines) and your plane will move with it.

YES!!!!!

I would assume it should be an easy enhancement to implement. Dynamic WCS is already there.

Skip the step of having extra geo for the associativity.

You should be able to alter existing planes/wcs with a dynamic triad! I would love this.

ANYONE LISTENING! Can you say low hanging fruit, go grab it CNC!

Please and thank you.

• Like 1

Skip the step of having extra geo for the associativity.

You should be able to alter existing planes/wcs with a dynamic triad! I would love this.

ANYONE LISTENING! Can you say low hanging fruit, go grab it CNC!

+100 for that !!!!

I use the geomety method, and hardly couldn't believe that in X7 the dynamic move is still not avaideble !!

Jay going out on a limb here. I am thinking he is wanting the ability to have all the WCS and associated planes go with it, not just geometry, but take a part like shown in this thread. Person was doing everything on a 5 axis in one part. Thought wiser of it and then decided they wanted to do 4 parts at a time in the same machine. He is facing what anyone will face that programs with Mastercam. The original WCS and all the planes associated to it cannot be moved to a new place without tons of hassle for the operations he programmed. What are his choices? He can recreate new WCS in relation to the place he needs and then reassign that in the operations and then fix every things hoping the planes still work. Of he can reprogram. There is not a Move WCS from Here to there and all associated T/C Planes follow it that I am aware of. If you are going from an example like I said where it shifted from A vertical to a Horizontal and the Center of rotations does change and you used a point then you have a little bit of luck, but what if the part was in Aircraft space and not located or moved to the relationship on the origin what do you do?