Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

No cutter comp with ramp and multi finish passes

sideholes

I have an issue with cutter comp not activating on finish passes. Can someone verify?

1) Create a circle

2) Create a contour with wear comp and contour type = ramp

3) Use a depth in "Ramp Motion"

4) Check the box "Make pass at final depth"

5) Enter a 90 degree lead in and out. Do not use arc.

6) Turn on muti passes and use 1 rough pass.

7) For finishing use 2 passes with zero spacing

8) Check the "Final Depth" radio button

9) Enter a depth

10) Post it out and look for cutter comp on final passes.

It will not post out finish pass cutter comp on any of our posts when using X5 or X7.

Note: This is very buggy and will work with certain instances. Sometimes it will give comp on the 1st finish pass, but not the 2nd. Try comping in from exact center of circle vs moving the lead in a little. Also, try multiple finish passes vs 1 finish pass.

Try a few scenarios and check the output.

I would appreciate any feedback to see if it's Mastercam or "PEBCAK" (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)

may I ask why you use wear comp and ramp on a circle.We just helix bore to within .002 then clean it up with a normal 2d contour

In many cases, we ramp cut right to size with cutter comp. No need for a pilot hole either. If we want to add a finish pass, we just turn it on. That's just been our preference for many years now.

Can you provide a sample file setup exactly like you are doing? If you cannot put up here then please email me it. I prefer .z2g file since it gives me everything I would need to see like the machine and control definition along with post. If it is a issue then I will report it to QC if is something we can tweak in the post then I will be glad to review and see what we can come up with to provide you what you are struggling with.

may I ask why you use wear comp and ramp on a circle.We just helix bore to within .002 then clean it up with a normal 2d contour

I use Wear and Ramp on a circle quite often.

Mainly because I program it for a nominal size endmill and maybe the next time I run the job I have a re-sharpened endmill, so i can comp the difference.

Can you provide a sample file setup exactly like you are doing? If you cannot put up here then please email me it. I prefer .z2g file since it gives me everything I would need to see like the machine and control definition along with post. If it is a issue then I will report it to QC if is something we can tweak in the post then I will be glad to review and see what we can come up with to provide you what you are struggling with.

Here is the very simplified program, thanks for looking.

T.Z2G

Yes having Zero in the Multipass does not output what you want. I thought might be something in the mpmaster post controlling that, but the generic HAAS post does the same thing as well as Generic 3 axis post. All will give you what you want when a value is put in the finish amount for Multipass will do it as many times as you put it with a value, but without a value you gives you no G41 output. I suspect that is by design. Why can you not have a value for the Mulitpass? I would assume you would want the tool to finish to a size and have something for it to cut, by putting in Zero what does that accomplish for you? Not sure I call it a bug as much as they may have logic to only support it when they know there is material to cut, but telling there is no material why do you need to comp? Shoot of an email to your dealer or QC and see what their response is. I can confirm what you see, but again not sure it is not doing what is designed to do.

Yes having Zero in the Multipass does not output what you want. I thought might be something in the mpmaster post controlling that, but the generic HAAS post does the same thing as well as Generic 3 axis post. All will give you what you want when a value is put in the finish amount for Multipass will do it as many times as you put it with a value, but without a value you gives you no G41 output. I suspect that is by design. Why can you not have a value for the Mulitpass? I would assume you would want the tool to finish to a size and have something for it to cut, by putting in Zero what does that accomplish for you? Not sure I call it a bug as much as they may have logic to only support it when they know there is material to cut, but telling there is no material why do you need to comp? Shoot of an email to your dealer or QC and see what their response is. I can confirm what you see, but again not sure it is not doing what is designed to do.

It is the same logic as using a spring pass with zero spacing when pocketing. The pocketing will produce comp every time. I can work around this, but I wanted to bring it out so it could get fixed, if, in fact it is a software error. I will notify my dealer. Thanks everyone for looking.

I disagree where as a pocket is a whole different type of toolpath and it understand there should be material where as in a hole with zero there should be no material so why would you need comp?

Thing about different ways people see it as bad software and others see if as custom applications. I hope you get the answer you are after and I can be wrong, but again just trying to help.

• 2 months later...