Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter comp on haas mill

rellim_63

We have a new vf-6 with probing. On the older haas without probing I can use cutter comp (wear when programed) with no trouble.

However I went to use cutter comp today on the machine with probing and I had no luck. For some reason when I programed the wear into my cut, (.750 mill) it looked to change my path by half diameter.

Any help would be appreciated.

We have a VF-6 at the company and we use mastercam for everything, with the exception of cutting the jaws.

With that said, we use geometry as probing tools with the presetter puts the tool diameter into geometry. If you are using mastercam to program your stuff, you dont need any tool dia number in geometry unless you are wanting to increase or decrease the size of whatever you're making. But i don't use diameter probing at all. Even the carbide disc itself gets worn out in 6 months- a year; u'll have a dimple in the center from all the probing of drills.

there is a setting somewhere that can change it from diameter to radius... i think

It is a combination of how you are programming in Mastercam and the Haas machine. Haas has a setting number 40 with which you can select diameter or radius. If you want to continue to use wear in Mastercam just probe length only not length and diameter. This will keep your diameter comp number as a zero. You will then just need to enter any wear offset for regrinds or adjustments.

• 5 years later...
On 2/10/2014 at 4:42 PM, oceancnc said:

If you are still interested, I rewrote the renishaw macro O9852.nc

so your wear offset is the difference between the size entered in the tool table and actual measured size. I.E. .500 endmill measures .498, offset will have a value of -.002 instead of .498

12 hours ago, Claytonic said:

I'm interested! But 5 years late.

I did the same as oceancnc, with the help of this forum. It was probably 8-10 years ago though and I'm not sure if I still have it. I'll look through my stuff.

11 minutes ago, Thad said:

I did the same as oceancnc, with the help of this forum. It was probably 8-10 years ago though and I'm not sure if I still have it. I'll look through my stuff.

Oops, sorry, I just remembered it was for a Mazak with a laser tool setter.