Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone using Esprit?

Nope, there are no users on this forum, only abusers.

I've heard Esprit is the cat's pajamas for wire, but I haven't had the pleasure myself.

Looks like we may get it. I had a short demo online today. Looked pretty powerful on Wire especially when bringing in solid models.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Powerful system but down right stone age if you need to change geometry.

Their whole concept of 'Features' is a throw back to the way you used to have to do it in TekSoft.

You essentially have to draw your geometry twice because you have to select the geometry to create a feature

and then you select the feature to machine. Associativity sucks because of this.

You can get feature data from Solid but God help you if you want to change those features because you can't.

The two major points I give them are,

1) ESPRIT is the most stable CAM software I've ever used.

2) The API is wide open so automation is a breeze.

• Like 1

I used Esprit mill for 5 years. Loved it! Then had to go back to MC. Hated that! You will hate Esprit at first because it is very different in how you do things but, Once you get familiar with it you can program circles around MC. I'm sure I will get slammed bad for that statement. Especially being on the MC site. But just giving my honest opinion. MC is what I use these days and I would be just as happy with it if I could get a stable setup. Both systems have there strengths and weaknesses so if you keep access to both you will learn which parts will be best and quickest in which system. Give Esprit a fair chance I think you will like it.

I used Esprit mill for 5 years. Loved it! Then had to go back to MC. Hated that! You will hate Esprit at first because it is very different in how you do things but, Once you get familiar with it you can program circles around MC. I'm sure I will get slammed bad for that statement. Especially being on the MC site. But just giving my honest opinion. MC is what I use these days and I would be just as happy with it if I could get a stable setup. Both systems have there strengths and weaknesses so if you keep access to both you will learn which parts will be best and quickest in which system. Give Esprit a fair chance I think you will like it.

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your honesty and will follow your advice.

• 5 months later...

WHY GO BACKWARDS , HAD TO USE ASsPRAY FOR TWO YEARS HATED IT ,M CAM RULES

Im back with Mastercam myself.  I need some more training on the Esprit and finding lots of things I don't like about it. I am only going to use it on solid models 4 axis type stuff. It sucked jumping back and forth from one software to another. It doesnt take me long to get rusty when you get use to using something else. Plus I am so used to using my right click mouse options on Mastercam. Their help menu sucks too and their discussion forum is about as useless getting an answer that Ti*s on a Boar hog my daddy always said.

We used the cam wizard dvd's for training got more out of them then going to the class for a week at Esprit.

http://thecamwizard.com/

Thanks I'll check this out. I only had about 2 hours of real training and don't have a problem using Esprit until I get to point where geometry is screwy and have to make changes to it only on solid models.

Im back with Mastercam myself.  I need some more training on the Esprit and finding lots of things I don't like about it. I am only going to use it on solid models 4 axis type stuff. It sucked jumping back and forth from one software to another. It doesnt take me long to get rusty when you get use to using something else. Plus I am so used to using my right click mouse options on Mastercam. Their help menu sucks too and their discussion forum is about as useless getting an answer that Ti*s on a Boar hog my daddy always said.

I'm surprised to hear about their forum.

They must have had some internal turnover.

It used to be a great place to ask questions and share information.

I still have a lot automation utilities available on there.

Thanks I'll check this out. I only had about 2 hours of real training and don't have a problem using Esprit until I get to point where geometry is screwy and have to make changes to it only on solid models.

Yep, that's it's Achilles heal.

It's modeling tools are akin to stone knives and bear skins.

• Like 1

Yep, that's it's Achilles heal.

It's modeling tools are akin to stone knives and bear skins.

I saw where you warned me about that Tim. I'm not that good with manipulating surfaces and 3 d stuff anyways. Just don't do it enough.

I'm surprised to hear about their forum.

They must have had some internal turnover.

It used to be a great place to ask questions and share information.

I still have a lot automation utilities available on there.

If you create an incidence they are excellent assigning someone to help you but their discussion forum gets lots of looks but few answers.